Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Brain Storming

Hey Marty!

It is possible you may be unfamiliar with what a Criminal Conspiracy is.

No, I'm aware of that Dirk is concealing knowledge of a crime.

When Jim returns to Florida after finding Trevor he has at least two conversations with Sergeant Gonzalez. I would suggest you read what happened and what they said to each other.

From Chapter 23

“Any news on the gay front?” Dirk asked, in a dejected tone.

Jim sighed. “About what you’d expect, but one thing he did say was he wouldn’t bring it up if you didn't"

From Chapter 26

.... given your personal relationship with the client...” Officer Gonzalez said, letting his voice trail off.

Jim shook his head. “Nice try. I’ve been Dirk’s attorney of record for years, and that predates any personal relationship.....

From Chapter 34

Jim chuckled again, mainly to give him time to plan his strategy. “Yes, he knows, and to answer your next question, Dirk Carlson is not gay,” Jim replied with conviction, taking care to speak only the truth.

Well that can only mean that Dirk is bi-sexual then, but the goat has left open the option hereby his words, Dirks comment to Jim in Italy was pretty oblivious.

b Edited by Benji
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H Benji’

My opinion is that Rachel did not die as the direct result of the Criminal Conspiracy she entered into with Dirk in 1997. We are in agreement there.

I believe that Dirk has evidence to prove she was still alive on a date after May 28th, 1997. Dirk will need this proof to get the murder indictment dismissed.

I do not believe Dirk has been in contact with Rachel since the date she was legally declared dead. It is my opinion if he had contact with her after December 1999, the clock starting the Seven Year Statute of Limitations, would have restarted. He may have been in contact with her between May 28th, 1997 and December 1999, but I do not think so.

I do not believe Dirk knows where she is at the present time.

I believe Rachel found the papers Arnolds had concealed on the Ares. I think we agree on this.

I do not believe Rachel told Dirk about the papers.

I know Rachel was involved in some illegal activities and found out she was being investigated. Any money she earned was either laundered and/or concealed.

I do not believe Dirk knew Rachel was committing these offenses, while she was doing so. He may have learned about them, after he and Rachel became involved in the conspiracy. My gut feeling is he still does not know about them.

I know the Lagoon 55, purchased from Bridge in 1990, listed Trevor as the owner. After the sale was completed, she was named Atlantis. I believe that sometime prior to May 1997, ownership was transferred to Rachel. I believe Rachel, in her will, left a Lagoon 55 to Trevor.

I believe when Rachel sailed from Nassau on May 27, 1997, she was aboard the Lagoon 55 that was purchased from Bridget in 1990. Rachel would be listed in the Lagoon 55s documents as the owner. Rachel could have sold the catamaran or sailed anywhere she wished to go. It is my opinion, if Rachel had sailed this vessel to Australia, solo, the local boating community would have talked about the voyage. I believe Rachel would not want any publicity about her or the vessel she arrived aboard.

When Rachel sailed she would have had the money she had earned, committing the offenses, she was being investigated for. It is possible some of the legal money, in the charter and chandlery accounts, could have been siphoned off for her to use, after she disappeared.

I know you believe Rachel is in Australia. My recent Forum postings state; “I do not know where she is.” That is my official public position. However, I am inclined to agree with you. There is one primary reason I will not commit myself to concur with you in the Forum. Since Trevor arrived in Carnarvon, random information has been appearing in the story line. My interpretation of these insertions is;

CJ is attempting to imply, there is an American influence associated with the area. One Key Lime Pie has been delivered to Trevor. A second is promised. Then there is the Thanksgiving Day dinner, with a desert that is an Australian specialty. Trevor easily identified both desserts.

Benji, you for sure are not alone in your belief that Rachel is in Australia. Others, including myself, have posted the opinion, “Rachel is married to Martin Blake. There are plenty of hints, inferences and assorted facts, sprinkled throughout the chapters.

Starting with the similarity of the Kookaburra and a Lagoon 55. Add in the pies and dinner. Next you should take a real close look at Shane’s comments to Trevor during the Kookaburra’s transit of Boat Haven Loop. After reading the Shane’s commentary about previous cruises, in comparison with the current one, I reached the following conclusions;

It had been some time since the Kookaburra had made it into Rhy’s Lagoon without touching bottom;

When Martin Blake was at the conn, he sweated and swore, when transiting the very shallow portions of the passage;

Mrs. Blake was not aboard on the majority of the charters, when Shane was crewing the Kookaburra.

Benji, First I factored Shane’s observations about touching bottom with the infrequency of Mrs. Blake’s presence. When I mulled over all I have mentioned so far, added in Martin Blake’s conversation with Trevor, I jumped on it. I felt great!

It was not long after that I was doing a reread, looking to confirm something. While I was reading one chapter, I reached a point where Sergeant Gonzalez was thinking. He said to himself, “Why didn’t they tie a bow on it?” He asked that question after he had reviewed, the amount and nature of the evidence that was pointing straight at Dirk. That was like a bucket of ice water ending a comfortable afternoon nap. When I added in Shane’s little stunt with the carrots and the kangaroos, (Authored by CJ) I decided to go back to basics.

Benji, you may very well be correct about Rachel being in Australia. I, along with other reader’s, have posted our opinions and conclusions’, stating Rachel is masquerading as Mrs. Blake. Both of these deductions are eminently possible. With all the information I have perused, there is nothing I can think of, that disputes either claim.

At the present time, I categorize both of these conclusions as a “POSITIVE MAYBE.”

At some point, I will have to take a stand and post my opinion. Right now, any view I might post would be a “WAG.”

I hope your weekend is as good as the one I am enjoying. With almost no rain recently, no fireworks can be sold locally. The silence is wonderful.

Marty

Edited by MartyS

When I added in Shane’s little stunt with the carrots and the kangaroos, (Authored by CJ) I decided to go back to

Ah, but "Night of the Mob" was Shane's doing, not mine! It was written in his style (the grammatical constructs are stylistically different) and he even used the Aussie spellings. He also, I cannot help but note, put his name in a larger font than the title. :read:

So, therefor, this can't be said to be my doing. I am innocent in the great kangaroo caper. 0:)

Ah, but "Night of the Mob" was Shane's doing, not mine! It was written in his style (the grammatical constructs are stylistically different) and he even used the Aussie spellings. He also, I cannot help but note, put his name in a larger font than the title. :read:

So, therefor, this can't be said to be my doing. I am innocent in the great kangaroo caper. 0:)

Whether you are or not, remains to be seen.

Hi Benji,

Let me bring some facts to your attention. The conspiracy was put into action. Now Rachel has to go someplace to hide. She likes boats and running a charter business. If you are correct, she is worried about the Cartel. You need to keep in mind federal investigators were investigating her.

The only reason anyone would be searching for her would be, if the disappearing act did not hold up. Rachel knows that if anyone is going to be looking for her, the first places they will start checking will be in that line of business.

It will not be hard to discern, she emigrated from Australia. It would not be difficult to learn her former family name. A law enforcement agency could easily find out if her Australian Passport had been renewed or reissued. Sanchez would not have much of a problem doing the same.

If anyone is searching for her, they will also be looking for a Lagoon catamaran. There were only twenty Lagoon 55s built and sixteen 57s. That is a total of thirty-six.

You believe Rachel is in Australia. What method of travel would she use to get there? She could use the Lagoon 55 in her possession. That would take several months of less than comfortable solo sailing. Every port she entered would require her to identify herself. Rachel has apparently valid proof of ownership. The catamaran in her possession has not been reported missing. Rachel bought the Lagoon 55 for cash. The title would have no liens against it. She could sell the boat. Then use an airplane and get there a lot sooner. If she wanted to get another Lagoon Cat she could use the money she received for the old one.

We both know Rachel and Dirk’s conspiracy has not been discovered and her disappearance is a proven fact. At this point in time no one is looking for Rachel, except Trevor. Let’s examine the following scenario.

If the plaque Trevor examined in Chapter 81 is a valid one, the Kookaburra was launched in France in 1996. It was not shipped FedEx to Australia. We all know Rachel plans ahead.

Let’s see how this stands up. Rachel knows she has to disappear permanently. She knew Martin Blake before she left Australia. Rachel contacts him and they set up their own little conspiracy, not necessarily a Criminal Conspiracy. Martin Blake sets up the purchase of a new Lagoon 57. He names it Kookaburra. The builder has the plaque made and attaches it too the new vessel. Martin arranges for temporary storage for the vessel. Rachel and Dirk’s Criminal Conspiracy is activated. Rachel sails from Nassau on May 27th, 1997. The Lagoon 55 in her possession is delivered to her new owner. Rachel arrives in France and takes control of the Kookaburra. Rachel sails her to Australia. Probably not solo.

Whether or not Dirk knew about her Australian plans is unknown. My gut feeling is maybe.

What do you think?

Marty

Edited by MartyS

Hi Benji,

If my scenario holds up and turns out to be true, Ned will find the concealed compartments. However, whether or not Arnold's papers will be inside them is a good question. It is possible they could have been removed.

Think about that for a little bit.

Marty

Hi Benji,

Let me bring some facts to your attention. The conspiracy was put into action. Now Rachel has to go someplace to hide. She likes boats and running a charter business. If you are correct, she is worried about the Cartel. You need to keep in mind federal investigators were investigating her. The good question is how did Rachel know she was being investigated? Not many agencies make that point to the ones they are pursuing. So that leads to the point that Rachel found out via proxy of either Arnold's stash or some some other source. Perhaps Julie? That would leave the boat switch option still open.

The only reason anyone would be searching for her would be, if the disappearing act did not hold up. Rachel knows that if anyone is going to be looking for her, the first places they will start checking will be in that line of business. Could be Rachel went on a year and a half hiatus, coming back up as Mrs. Blake. After all who would search for a dead person?

It will not be hard to discern, she emigrated from Australia. It would not be difficult to learn her former family name. A law enforcement agency could easily find out if her Australian Passport had been renewed or reissued. Sanchez would not have much of a problem doing the same. If the last name was indeed Smith, that is a steep call for the law enforcement agencies and even for Sanchez.

If anyone is searching for her, they will also be looking for a Lagoon catamaran. There were only twenty Lagoon 55s built and sixteen 57s. That is a total of thirty-six.

I'm pretty sure nobody is keeping track of these boats, why would they? They are spread all over the world.

You believe Rachel is in Australia. What method of travel would she use to get there? She could use the Lagoon 55 in her possession. That would take several months of less than comfortable solo sailing. Every port she entered would require her to identify herself. Rachel has apparently valid proof of ownership. The catamaran in her possession has not been reported missing. Rachel bought the Lagoon 55 for cash. The title would have no liens against it. She could sell the boat. Then use an airplane and get there a lot sooner. If she wanted to get another Lagoon Cat she could use the money she received for the old one. That is where the plausibility of her own circumnavigation would fail, if she was stopped for checkpoints, but remember the goat told us of baksheesh (bribes) considerably back then when no one is looking for you.

We both know Rachel and Dirk’s conspiracy has not been discovered and her disappearance is a proven fact. At this point in time no one is looking for Rachel, except Trevor. Let’s examine the following scenario.

If the plaque Trevor examined in Chapter 81 is a valid one, the Kookaburra was launched in France in 1996. It was not shipped FedEx to Australia. We all know Rachel plans ahead. If the plague was valid then why make a new one? "It's normal for a new owner to want to name their boat – so she had a new plaque made. When it’s got the builder’s name and insignia on it like this it means the owner ordered from the builder, so if this was an original boat why reorder a plaque?? Remember the plaque contained the name Kookaburra and other info Trevor said was not of the norm.

Let’s see how this stands up. Rachel knows she has to disappear permanently. She knew Martin Blake before she left Australia. Rachel contacts him and they set up their own little conspiracy, not necessarily a Criminal Conspiracy. Martin Blake sets up the purchase of a new Lagoon 57. He names it Kookaburra. The builder has the plaque made and attaches it too the new vessel. Martin arranges for temporary storage for the vessel. Rachel and Dirk’s Criminal Conspiracy is activated. Rachel sails from Nassau on May 27th, 1997. The Lagoon 55 in her possession is delivered to her new owner. Rachel arrives in France and takes control of the Kookaburra. Rachel sails her to Australia. Probably not solo. Problem is she wants to be quiet, if it got out she sold the Aries while being presumably dead from an explosion, could alert insurance companies here. How could she sell a boat and not have it identified by others. Nope, makes more sense to keep it and alter it.

What do you think?

Marty

Edited by Benji

Hi Benji,

If my scenario holds up and turns out to be true, Ned will find the concealed compartments. However, whether or not Arnold's papers will be inside them is a good question. It is possible they could have been removed.

Think about that for a little bit.

Marty

That is the only hold back in your theory that Rachel switched boats If Ned finds them them, then what made Rachel flee? Could Arnold have spooked her? I doubt that happened, it must have been something that she saw and clicked in her brain of what was going on. Rachel would not have abandoned her son for nothing less then a life threatening event about to unfold. And very much aware of the statutes of limitations involved.

Hi Benji,

I just completed reading your responses to my posts of yesterday. One of the things you said made me alter one of my conclusions. Instead of answering your questions piecemeal, this post will summarize my opinion of what actually occurred. Again I will not list reference points to the published story. I would like to have this online in the Forum prior to the posting of Chapter 82. I will, to the best of my ability use the term, “I believe,” to designate what I have deduced. I will use the term, I know,” to designate what has actually appeared in the story. I do not intend to use the qualifier that we do not agree on some point. This is not meant to be a challenge. I am well aware we do not agree on various things.

I believe Rachel became aware that law enforcement authorities were conducting an investigation of her illegal activities. I know that Bridget informed them about Rachel’s actions. I know Bridget did so to induce Rachel to return the Ares to her. I believe that Bridget was instrumental in alerting Rachel to the fact there was an investigation in progress.

I know that Bridget was aware that Arnold was using concealed compartments on the Ares, to store records of his transactions. I know that Bridget was very concerned Arnold had assembled information about the drug deals she was involved in. She believes he wrote the information down and concealed it aboard. I know Bridget believes Arnold constructed additional secret compartments. I know Bridget was unable to locate these hidden spaces.

I know Rachel was aware of Bridget’s desire to regain ownership of the Ares. I believe Rachel discovered the compartments aboard the Ares. I believe once she found one compartment, she made a diligent search and located the rest. I believe the documents she found implicated Bridget in drug smuggling. I know Bridget had been instrumental in involving Rachel in illegal activities. I know Bridget did not involve Rachel in drug smuggling.

I know that Rachel is a good tactical technician. The basic plan she and Dirk set up to cover her disappearance is proof of that. Nine and a half years after the disappearance of the Ares and Rachel, the plan is still solidly in place. The basic theme of the story appears to establish the sinking of the Ares. Because of this, the narrator is limited in disclosing all conversations. I know Dirk is not concerned with being accused of murdering Rachel. I know Dirk is awaiting the expiration of two Statutes of Limitation. There was an additional one, which by the current date in the story line, has already expired in November. I know that Dirk must have evidence to prove Rachel did not die as the direct result of the, “Disappearance.” I know that CJ did thorough research into all legal aspects of this story. I know that it is possible he could have erred, somewhere along the line, but I doubt it. Frank Tittle has been established, as the knowledgeable legal authority, in this narrative. I know the conversations between Dirk, Jim, Frank Tittle and Henry that appear in this story are edited. I know the published content, of any verbal exchanges between them, which makes any reference to the details of what actually occurred, in May 1997 is excluded. Likewise, any references to future actions, which possibly may occur, are modified to remove Rachel or the Ares from consideration. To put it simply I know, Dirk cannot mention Rachel, when discussing with Jim, what assistance is available, to help Trevor, when he learns the truth about the Disappearance,. I know I am of the opinion; she will be of little, if any assistance. I know Dirk is of the opinion that Trevor will be furious at him, once he learns the truth about the Disappearance. I believe Trevor will be strongly hurt when he realizes she was as guilty as Dirk in deceiving him. I believe Rachel will do her best to place all the blame on Dirk.

I know Dirk was not the dominant member of their marital partnership. Any realistic evaluation of his actions, in the Prologue, should make that apparent to any reader. Throughout the tale Dirk has demonstrated a poor ability to plan. I believe Dirk agreed to the plan developed by Rachel to allow her to make a successful disappearance. Realistically Dirk did not make out to bad. There was going to be a divorce. Once she was legally declared dead, as her husband, he automatically inherited all jointly owned property, tax-free. He became Trevor’s sole guardian, without a court fight.

I believe Rachel began setting up the dissolution of their marriage long before May 1997. I believe she learned of the investigation into, her illegal activities, not long before May 1997. I believe she became aware the authorities were hot on her heels, after she and Dirk had filed the divorce papers with a court. I know the major contentions between them were, the division of assets and custody of Trevor. I know Rachel had accumulated funds from her illegal activities. I believe that Dirk was unaware of these activities. I believe that Rachel did not want to surrender an equal division of the value of the charter business. I believe she felt this was totally hers. I believe she intended to re-locate to Australia. I believe she had started to arrange this early in 1996.

I know that Dirk was involved in a criminal conspiracy prior, to the one he entered into with Rachel, to implement her disappearance. I know he started the clock for the ten year Statute of Limitations to begin, in December 1996. I know he cannot be convicted for this conspiracy, after an undisclosed date in December 2006. I know this conspiracy involved committing a crime. I know the statute of limitations has already expired on any crimes associated with the conspiracy. I know that, based on what information has appeared so far in this story, I am unable to determine when this conspiracy began or exactly what offenses were involved.

I know the criminal conspiracy entered into with Rachel had a seven-year Statute of Limitations. I know the clock was started, regarding Dirks involvement, in December 1999. I know that was the month Rachel’s Memorial Service was conducted. I know the Statute of Limitations will expire in December 2006. I know that Dirk has been involved in two criminal conspiracies, which he may still be charged with on November 30, 2006. I know one of the two expires on December 16th, 2006. I know the other will also be expired by that date. I know any crimes Dirk may have committed while involved in these conspiracies, are no longer able to be prosecuted.

I believe Rachel was the principal architect of the conspiracy she and Dirk entered into. I believe she did not tell him every aspect of her plans. I believe she is out for herself and will use any method to insure her eventual success.

This is what I believe occurred during the years of 1996 and 1997.

Sometime during the beginning months of 1996 Rachel was in contact with Martin Blake. It is probable she knew him in Australia, prior to her departing that continent. She entered into a conspiracy to join him after divorcing Dirk. I have no knowledge as to whether this was a criminal conspiracy or just making future plans. One result of the conspiracy was for Martin to order from, Jeanneau Advance Technology, the designers and builders of the Lagoon series of Catamarans, a Lagoon 57. I know that Trevor discovered a Builders Plaque attached to the transom of the Kookaburra. The information on that plaque, as interrupted by Trevor is, she was completed in April 1996. The long distance scheme may have commenced earlier than I have indicated. I am not able to ascertain how the company determines the inclusion of the name on the plaque. It is possible the vessel was built as Trevor says. Since only sixteen Lagoon 57s were produced, I doubt the company mass-produced them all in a group. Then left them sitting like a new car lot awaiting buyers. I know Martin Blake told Trevor he had owned her since she was new and that she was his first boat. They planned for Rachel to sail the vessel, which would be named, Kookaburra, from France to Australia. I am unable to determine the exact dates Rachel planned to put the divorce into motion.

The copy of the divorce papers found by Trevor indicates all matters affecting the divorce had been settled except for the money and child custody. How long these discussions were drawn out is unknown. I know Dirk decided to get himself out of the conspiracy with the ten-year SOL in December 1996.

Somewhere prior to May 1997, Rachel learned she was the subject of an investigation by law enforcement authorities. I believe Rachel knew she could not just take off and the authorities be left standing with their mouths hanging open. Rachel knew she had to disappear in such a fashion they would stop the investigation. I believe Dirk was not involved in the criminal activities she was under investigation for. I believe Rachel was aware he had been involved in the ten-year conspiracy. I believe she strong-armed him to cooperate with her to arrange for her disappearance. I believe she stood eye to eyeball and laid it out for him. Either help me successfully disappear or, if I go down for what they are investigating now, I will drag you down, with me by telling them about the other. I believe Rachel was not feeling very happy with Dirk at this point.

Rachel tells Dirk about the plan she has formulated. She explains how the sinking will be faked and about the false mayday call. She explains about the switching of the vessels. Rachel knows she cannot fake the sinking and then sell the Ares under a different name. With no wreck recovered, the insurance company will be on the lookout for the Ares to show up someplace. To switch the vessels will solve the problem. The papers for the Atlantis identify the vessel by number not by name. The owners name on the Atlantis papers is Trevor. Rachel as his parent has the authority to have the ownership transferred to her name. I do not believe the charter of May 15th thru the 25th, has anything directly to do with the charade planned by Rachel. At the conclusion of that charter Rachel returned to Fort Pierce. On her arrival the names of the two vessels were exchanged. Any items necessary to swap were moved. The name Ares may have been affixed to the Lagoon 55 Rachel was departing aboard. On the trip to Nassau Rachel deposits debris to be found after the mayday call is broadcast. This is when Rachel sticks it to Dirk. The debris she left had scorch marks. When Bridget discovered the flotsam she identifies it as coming from the Ares. When she observes the scorch marks. she concludes they were the result of a bomb. At this point Bridget removes the debris for her own reasons. After depositing the debris Rachel sails for Nassau and docks. At approximately 19:50 hours Rachel sails from Nassau as the sun sets in the west. The Lagoon 55 she arrived aboard, would be enroute to be delivered to its new owner. After delivering the catamaran Rachel goes to where the Kookaburra is waiting. She sails it to Australia probably with someone else aboard.

The law enforcement agency that was investigating Rachel’s unlawful activities, would most likely at first suspend the investigation. then close it out after she is declared dead. At least in regards to her anyway. If they had been investigating Dirk’s possible involvement I doubt it would have gotten anywhere. If it would have involved sailing a boat. Dirk doesn’t do that.

So Dirk settles down to await the expiration of the charges that could be used against him. I believe after he received the payout from the insurance company he deposited that in a high yield account and left it alone. He knew they would be coming looking for it if the con game was ever discovered. I have no doubt during the transfer of Atlantis’s ownership from Rachel to Trevor, due to her will, any discrepancies regarding Hull identification numbers would have been corrected. In response to a question from Ned, Trevor told him an insurance agent spent hours aboard the boat, listing all equipment. I doubt if there was a discrepancy in the vessel’s identification it would have slid by.

At present I have three unanswered questions.

First is; Dirk wanted Trevor to go to Australia in December. This was before the blowup between them.

The other two questions are grouped. According to Sergeant Gonzalez, Dirk attempted to increase the insured value of the Ares and the amount of Rachel’s life insurance. Sergeant Gonzalez considers this evidence of Dirk’s intention to kill Rachel. From the amounts described by the Sergeant, neither policy reflected current market value. It would have been a smart estate decision for him to do so. As to why he withdrew the applications, I do not have a solid answer. However, one thing definitely comes to mind. Dirk made a smart estate-planning move regarding the life insurance. As to the boat insurance it was woefully under insured. He submitted the applications to the insurance company. Dirk then gets hit in the face with Rachel’s problem and her solution. I could understand Dirk saying to himself, “If I continue and increase the insurance, then the boat and Rachel disappear, the police and the insurance company might think I had something to do with it.

Well Benji, that's it. I look forward to your comments.

Marty

Edited by MartyS

I have to say I have seen less investigative work done on a doctoral thesis!

well done. Please just don't ask if I agree or not, as much as I am enjoying CJ's writing, I haven't done anything like this level of analysis!

CJ, just keep the story coming!!

Hey Marty!!

To Sanchez, Bridget says;

"Then one day, after months of barely speaking to each other, I was on our boat, the Ares. I was somewhat suspicious already, and I looked into one of our concealed compartments. I found the sales papers, and he’d never mentioned them to me, for a boat I owned jointly with him. He was selling her.” 'One of their concealed compartments..' :blink: Plural, meaning there were more then one. It is a wonder one of the Pirates did not find one of them, if the Atlantis is indeed the Aries. Could Rachel also have stumbled into a large cache of money left by Arnold? Plus information involving them with the cartel? Something spooked her into leaving, my guess it was her knowledge that Bridget was involved with the cartel, and that she had helped her transfer money for them. Leaving her at risk of the Feds, but more importantly it left her and her family in danger. Leaving Trevor behind had to be a hard decision for her. I wonder if Dirk has the 'incriminating evidence' that Gonzales is looking for.

She would occasionally move some cash for me. I hinted it was simple tax evasion, nothing more. She never knew what I was doing, so she was no danger to me, or us."

Here is what I think Rachel is guilty of, money laundering for Bridget, nothing more. But that was the least of her worries, not sure of the statutes of limitation for money laundering are. So the two 'crimes' are faking a death and being an accomplice to money laundering. Dirk being involved in the former, not the latter.

Later, Bridget or rather the narrator tells us everything Bridget said was the truth, but that she omitted the whole truth.....

Over time, Bridget had come to suspect that her late husband had hidden something else, along with the assets list, aboard the Aries....

And of course feeding the Feds information on Rachel to try and get the Aries back was also a slight omission. 0:)Back to Rachel, in the prologue, she shed a tear in remembrance at her son's request of of a sea shell for his birthday. Rachel is indeed strong and won more arguments with Dirk, then Dirk cares to admit. I'm very sure she won the argument with Dirk to disappear for all of their sakes, and keep hidden the 'crimes' for the length of the statutes. About the Blakes, could Mr. Blake actually be acting as a husband when in fact they are brother and sister. Just something that occurred to me since the legality of Rachel getting re-married might stir up a records search, or an announcement made public could bring on too much scrutiny.

Oh well, just some thoughts!

Hey Marty!!

"Then one day, after months of barely speaking to each other, I was on our boat, the Ares. I was somewhat suspicious already, and I looked into one of our concealed compartments. I found the sales papers, and he’d never mentioned them to me, for a boat I owned jointly with him. He was selling her.” 'One of their concealed compartments..' :blink: Plural, meaning there were more then one. It is a wonder one of the Pirates did not find one of them, if the Atlantis is indeed the Aries. Could Rachel also have stumbled into a large cache of money left by Arnold? Plus information involving them with the cartel? Something spooked her into leaving, my guess it was her knowledge that Bridget was involved with the cartel, and that she had helped her transfer money for them. Leaving her at risk of the Feds, but more importantly it left her and her family in danger. Leaving Trevor behind had to be a hard decision for her. I wonder if Dirk has the 'incriminating evidence' that Gonzales is looking for.

She would occasionally move some cash for me. I hinted it was simple tax evasion, nothing more. She never knew what I was doing, so she was no danger to me, or us."

Here is what I think Rachel is guilty of, money laundering for Bridget, nothing more. But that was the least of her worries, not sure of the statutes of limitation for money laundering are. So the two 'crimes' are faking a death and being an accomplice to money laundering. Dirk being involved in the former, not the latter.

Later, Bridget or rather the narrator tells us everything Bridget said was the truth, but that she omitted the whole truth.....

Over time, Bridget had come to suspect that her late husband had hidden something else, along with the assets list, aboard the Aries....

And of course feeding the Feds information on Rachel to try and get the Aries back was also a slight omission. 0:)Back to Rachel, in the prologue, she shed a tear in remembrance at her son's request of of a sea shell for his birthday. Rachel is indeed strong and won more arguments with Dirk, then Dirk cares to admit. I'm very sure she won the argument with Dirk to disappear for all of their sakes, and keep hidden the 'crimes' for the length of the statutes. About the Blakes, could Mr. Blake actually be acting as a husband when in fact they are brother and sister. Just something that occurred to me since the legality of Rachel getting re-married might stir up a records search, or an announcement made public could bring on too much scrutiny.

Hi Benji

Posted Today, 09:12 PM

Hey Marty!!

"Then one day, after months of barely speaking to each other, I was on our boat, the Ares. I was somewhat suspicious already, and I looked into one of our concealed compartments. I found the sales papers, and he’d never mentioned them to me, for a boat I owned jointly with him. He was selling her.” 'One of their concealed compartments..' Plural, meaning there were more then one. It is a wonder one of the Pirates did not find one of them, if the Atlantis is indeed the Aries. Could Rachel also have stumbled into a large cache of money left by Arnold? Plus information involving them with the cartel? Something spooked her into leaving, my guess it was her knowledge that Bridget was involved with the cartel, and that she had helped her transfer money for them. Leaving her at risk of the Feds, but more importantly it left her and her family in danger. Leaving Trevor behind had to be a hard decision for her. I wonder if Dirk has the 'incriminating evidence' that Gonzales is looking for.

Keep in mind one thing. I have no doubt Arnold left things he did not intend to leave. Bridget murdered Arnold before he had turned over the Ares to Rachel. As Bridget said at one point, “The sale was final. I had to turn Ares over to them.” But, Arnold never had the chance to remove his stuff.

I would agree as far as you went. Try also, False Distress Radio Call, Larceny or taking the insurance payout. Dirk would have had to sign documents and swearing an oath. That is Purjury. The lawyer, Frank Tittle said all of those had already passed their Statutes of Limitation. Frank was only speaking about Dirk’s offenses.

And of course feeding the Feds information on Rachel to try and get the Aries back was also a slight omission. Back to Rachel, in the prologue, she shed a tear in remembrance at her son's request of of a sea shell for his birthday. Rachel is indeed strong and won more arguments with Dirk, then Dirk cares to admit. I'm very sure she won the argument with Dirk to disappear for all of their sakes, and keep hidden the 'crimes' for the length of the statutes. About the Blakes, could Mr. Blake actually be acting as a husband when in fact they are brother and sister. Just something that occurred to me since the legality of Rachel getting re-married might stir up a records search, or an announcement made public could bring on too much scrutiny.

I doubt they are brother and sister. Maybe Martin is a cousin. Officer Fowler went to school with and was Martin Blake’s buddy. Fowler would know Martin’s last name. We know Rachel’s maiden name was Smith. But my feeling is they are married.

Like the thoughts. Getting close to Chapter 82 time

Marty

I have to say I have seen less investigative work done on a doctoral thesis!

well done. Please just don't ask if I agree or not, as much as I am enjoying CJ's writing, I haven't done anything like this level of analysis!

CJ, just keep the story coming!!

Thank you for the compliment. Being retired I have more spare time on my hands than I need. I spent a good portion of my life doing investigations. I will gladly admit, I never had to face anything this complex. However, if you use basic investigative procedures, they can be expanded to something this complex. I had the basics figured out some time back. There were also a lot of loose ends. BrainStorming with Benji gave me insight which helped me bring it together. Chapter 81 helped me put the finishing touches. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I do not see anything, I have not accounted for. I have even put together an acceptable (to me) explaination to Item # 1 in the closing, I am working on the posting now and will post it for Benji shortly.

Hi Benji,

What I am about to do is not a good idea. I am going to attempt to get into Dirk’s mind. The answers below are close to guesswork,

To start with, when Dirk raised the possibility of Trevor going to Australia in December, we were not into the story. Dirk was not aware of Trevor’s intended “Pilgrimage.” Trevor and him were at loggerheads but not about that. If you analyze the conversation they had, Dirk was discussing one subject. Trevor was thinking something completely different.

Dirk made a suggestion. No preamble. Nothing to place it in focus. He suggested Trevor travel to Australia in late December. Dirk is aware the Statute of Limitations on all three open cases will have expired by that time. Dirk knows he will be in a position to be able to be interviewed by the police. Something he has refused to do so far. He is aware he is a suspect in his wife’s disappearance. But why should he? He does not have to voluntarily go to the police to give a statement.

I do not believe Rachel told him about the papers she found hidden aboard the Ares. If I am correct, he has no knowledge of Bridget’s drug smuggling. So it cannot be he is concerned about retribution from the drug cartel.

Dirk may have decided to sit Trevor down and tell him the truth about the occurrences of May 1997. He is unaware of Trevor’s quest to find Rachel’s body and have it placed under the headstone. But, I am sure he knows Trevor has been hurting. As it say’s in the Prologue. Trevor had not found closure.

Although I am certain Dirk has had no contact with Rachel since he started the clock on the Statute of Limitations in December 1999, it is possible he does know she is in Australia. If he did not know she was, why does he want Trevor to go?

Dirk might also be concerned about being actually arrested, when the authorities become aware of the facts. Frank Tittle informed him that could occur. Although the case would have to be dismissed, there probably would be a media circus.

Although it is not necessary he contact the police, he may have decided to do so. Take a look at my comments regarding how I believe Rachel strong-armed Dirk into cooperating with her. It is very possible Dirk has decided to get some payback. Dirk knows he is free and clear as of December 16th. But is Rachel? Even though a court declared her deceased, she didn’t die. The death certificate was gained by fraud. I believe the government could go into court, with sufficient evidence, and have that overturned. Then where would she be legally? The investigation that was in progress may be a dead issue. But, Rachel was Dirk’s co-conspirator in the Conspiracy with the seven-year Statute of Limitations. Difference is Dirk stayed at home. Did not disappear. As to Rachel, she certainly did not do that. Dirk started his clock, but did she.

There is one other possibility, although rather remote. Maybe he wants to go to Massachusetts with Jim for a wedding. Seeing as Dirk thinks Tremor is a homophobe, he might not want him around.

There are my thoughts on the first question I mentioned in my July 4th post.

Marty

Hi Benji,

What I am about to do is not a good idea. I am going to attempt to get into Dirk’s mind. The answers below are close to guesswork,

To start with, when Dirk raised the possibility of Trevor going to Australia in December, we were not into the story. Dirk was not aware of Trevor’s intended “Pilgrimage.” Trevor and him were at loggerheads but not about that. If you analyze the conversation they had, Dirk was discussing one subject. Trevor was thinking something completely different.

Yep, Trevor was thinking about his dad's comment that he take a girl with him and be 'normal', after Trevor heard that, he stopped listening to Dirk. Dirk on the other hand was trying to set Trevor up with a re-union with his mom, one he did not want to be present at. 0:)

Dirk made a suggestion. No preamble. Nothing to place it in focus. He suggested Trevor travel to Australia in late December. Dirk is aware the Statute of Limitations on all three open cases will have expired by that time. Dirk knows he will be in a position to be able to be interviewed by the police. Something he has refused to do so far. He is aware he is a suspect in his wife’s disappearance. But why should he? He does not have to voluntarily go to the police to give a statement.

I'm sure it will not matter now, he will be forced to talk to the police after the date of statutes expire to clear himself of Rachel's death and from being a suspect in Arnold's demise too. I wonder if he will push the timeline up in talking to Gonzales after learning of Trevor's 2nd attempt on his life by the pirates.

I do not believe Rachel told him about the papers she found hidden aboard the Ares. If I am correct, he has no knowledge of Bridget’s drug smuggling. So it cannot be he is concerned about retribution from the drug cartel.

I think I agree here, maybe all Rachel told him was that the Feds were on her trail because she moved money for Bridget. Rachel wants to protect Trevor and that piece of knowledge that she may know or not, is something she would need to keep quiet about.

Dirk may have decided to sit Trevor down and tell him the truth about the occurrences of May 1997. He is unaware of Trevor’s quest to find Rachel’s body and have it placed under the headstone. But, I am sure he knows Trevor has been hurting. As it say’s in the Prologue. Trevor had not found closure.

Again I'm thinking Dirk is going to let 'mom' explain it, call it cowardly, but Dirk doesn't want a confrontation with his son. He knows Trevor has not found closure and is edgy that Trevor continues to look for her alone at sea, with the date so close.

Although I am certain Dirk has had no contact with Rachel since he started the clock on the Statute of Limitations in December 1999, it is possible he does know she is in Australia. If he did not know she was, why does he want Trevor to go?

Rachel could have sent a simple non-written postcard to Dirk from Australia, Dirk would understand the significance of it.

Dirk might also be concerned about being actually arrested, when the authorities become aware of the facts. Frank Tittle informed him that could occur. Although the case would have to be dismissed, there probably would be a media circus.

Although that seems plausible, I'm not sure that will happen as all eyes will turn back to Bridget and George. I'm sure Gonzales and Frank have already concluded the extra security at Bridget's boathouse was 'extraordinary' and that Bridget was involved in something other the pleasure boating. You are right the media circus will increase pressure on Dirk and Gonzales. Will Sanchez hurry up his plans or back off?

Although it is not necessary he contact the police, he may have decided to do so. Take a look at my comments regarding how I believe Rachel strong-armed Dirk into cooperating with her. It is very possible Dirk has decided to get some payback. Dirk knows he is free and clear as of December 16th. But is Rachel? Even though a court declared her deceased, she didn’t die. The death certificate was gained by fraud. I believe the government could go into court, with sufficient evidence, and have that overturned. Then where would she be legally? The investigation that was in progress may be a dead issue. But, Rachel was Dirk’s co-conspirator in the Conspiracy with the seven-year Statute of Limitations. Difference is Dirk stayed at home. Did not disappear. As to Rachel, she certainly did not do that. Dirk started his clock, but did she.

The government may not want get their 'pound of flesh' out of Rachel if it turns out they can get some drug smugglers and cartel personnel out of what ever Arnold left for either Rachel or Ned dig up.

There is one other possibility, although rather remote. Maybe he wants to go to Massachusetts with Jim for a wedding. Seeing as Dirk thinks Tremor is a homophobe, he might not want him around.

Hahaha! Yep another convention would be nice!

There are my thoughts on the first question I mentioned in my July 4th post.

Marty

Dirks head is dangerous territory to venture into! :lmao:

Edited by Benji

Hi Benji,

I see we are thinking along the same lines..

Somewhat, you still see Rachel as an evil person, I do not, I know this author very well and do not believe he would put this out that Rachel is nothing more then a victim here (minus her transgressions). I wonder if either Ned or Rachel will fill in the banks for Trevor in his 'odyssey', will he stay on the boat or get into the backwoods for his and Shane's safety. I chose that he stay's on the boat and confronting Sanchez's men dead on. I think the coast guard is going to re-arm Trevor after warning him of the danger coming up after the news break. But then again Trevor only knows that he is being hunted and not by whom.

Marty

Hi Benji,

We did agree to disagree and that is great with me. Without our brainstorming I would have been stuck a while back. After I had completed my July Fourth Opus, and before I posted it, I did my best to find any holes in my reasoning. Everything seems to fit.

With your input and responses to some of my previous posts, I started thinking along other lines. I knew I had the basic framework, but I had too many unanswered questions. I felt I knew how it was done, but not always why. You provided me with your insight and I took off from there.

In all honesty, Chapter 81 closed a lot of gaps that were unexplained. I have done my best to find any major or even minor flaws in my deductions. So far, with us working together, none have bitten me on the butt. I wish I had been a fly on the wall, when CJ read that posting.

As far as I am concerned I am going to leave the past and concentrate on the future. Although they are not major mysteries awaiting us, CJ has a lot of opportunities to leave us hanging. Take a look at what he has set up.

Trevor and Shane were shacked up in Rhys Lagoon when Chapter 81 closed. That was Friday evening. I do hope they don’t leave any visible love bites, for Ned and others to see. They are scheduled to get underway from Rhys Lagoon Sunday morning at approximately 11:30. Distance from Boat Haven Loop to Carnarvon is close to 90 nautical miles. Then you add in transit time of five to six hours, from the lagoon to Denham Sound. That is just about how long they took on their southbound trip. Using Kookaburra’s engines it is about a thirteen to fourteen hour trip. Depending on if they get good winds, they might arrive sooner. Either way it will be well after sundown.

When last we visited the Anal Orifice Reporter Kline he was about to set up a con job to get more information. I expect his dirtbag buddy Barney will pickup on the information broadcast by the Antarctic Star. With Kline being in Carnarvon and working freelance, he might not learn of it by himself. I am sure Officer Fowler’s agency will pass the word to him, about the possible security breach. I would say Kline will have a problem coming straight at him, if he tries to BS Fowler.

Kline’s buddy may very well have a problem. He agreed to keep the information Kline shared with him confidential. Right now he has copies of Kline’s pictures and all the research Kline did about Trevor’s background. If he doesn’t use it fast other reporters might Google the available information and come up with a lot of it. Kline’s exclusive story is history right now. Then take into consideration the TV idiots. They are about to find out, there was a major story. They will come storming back to Carnarvon with fire in their eyes. On top of that, the word will be out, how they were fooled the first time.

Now let’s see. The Kookaburra is due to return to Carnarvon on Sunday. It is important that Trevor be there in time for his appointments on Monday. Kline already knows the name of the Kookaburra. That will come out no doubt. One of Martin Blake’s conditions in agreeing to the use of his vessel was, neither his name nor the vessels name become public.

That is about to change. Now there will be how many reporters digging around. Even if they take off and head back to Sharks Bay, The reporters will want something. I am willing to bet there are pictures of the Kookaburra around somewhere. Maybe pictures of the Blakes are available. Think about it. The story will be of worldwide interest. Imagine pictures of Mrs. Blake showing up. You know for sure the papers in Florida will be into it. The story involves one of their own residents. I doubt they will pass it up.

Now the two of them, if warned in time, could stand out to sea again. If they do, I hope they disconnect the AIS system.

Looks like some fun times ahead. Plenty of material for CJ to leave us dangling. I can’t say he would use cliffhangers, but a rose by any other name, is still a rose.

Marty

Edited by MartyS

Hi Benji,

We did agree to disagree and that is great with me. Without our brainstorming I would have been stuck a while back. After I had completed my July Fourth Opus, and before I posted it, I did my best to find any holes in my reasoning. Everything seems to fit.

With your input and responses to some of my previous posts, I started thinking along other lines. I knew I had the basic framework, but I had too many unanswered questions. I felt I knew how it was done, but not always why. You provided me with your insight and I took off from there.

In all honesty, Chapter 81 closed a lot of gaps that were unexplained. I have done my best to find any major or even minor flaws in my deductions. So far, with us working together, none have bitten me on the butt. I wish I had been a fly on the wall, when CJ read that posting.

As far as I am concerned I am going to leave the past and concentrate on the future. Although they are not major mysteries awaiting us, CJ has a lot of opportunities to leave us hanging. Take a look at what he has set up.

Trevor and Shane were shacked up in Rhys Lagoon when Chapter 81 closed. That was Friday evening. I do hope they don’t leave any visible love bites, for Ned and others to see. They are scheduled to get underway from Rhys Lagoon Sunday morning at approximately 11:30. Distance from Boat Haven Loop to Carnarvon is close to 90 nautical miles. Then you add in transit time of five to six hours, from the lagoon to Denham Sound. That is just about how long they took on their southbound trip. Using Kookaburra’s engines it is about a thirteen to fourteen hour trip. Depending on if they get good winds, they might arrive sooner. Either way it will be well after sundown.

I think Officer Fowler is going to warn them to stay away and meet them in Sharks Bay. He will probably bring Trevor's cell phone (perhaps his gun too), the problem I see is money. Trevor opted for a safety deposit box, so some how or another he will have to retrieve his money to stay aboard the Kookaburra. If they are allowed to stay aboard at all.

When last we visited the Anal Orifice Reporter Kline he was about to set up a con job to get more information. I expect his dirtbag buddy Barney will pickup on the information broadcast by the Antarctic Star. With Kline being in Carnarvon and working freelance, he might not learn of it by himself. I am sure Officer Fowler’s agency will pass the word to him, about the possible security breach. I would say Kline will have a problem coming straight at him, if he tries to BS Fowler.

I'm sure his buddy will be on the phone to Kline the moment he hears about it they will put the story out. Meanwhile Kline will continue dig for information, he maybe Trevor's worst enemy right now. I wonder if Kline can be arrested for trespassing on Ned's property. 0:)

Kline’s buddy may very well have a problem. He agreed to keep the information Kline shared with him confidential. Right now he has copies of Kline’s pictures and all the research Kline did about Trevor’s background. If he doesn’t use it fast other reporters might Google the available information and come up with a lot of it. Kline’s exclusive story is history right now. Then take into consideration the TV idiots. They are about to find out, there was a major story. They will come storming back to Carnarvon with fire in their eyes. On top of that, the word will be out, how they were fooled the first time.

Agreed, they have no choice but to give what they have so far of the story.

Now let’s see. The Kookaburra is due to return to Carnarvon on Sunday. It is important that Trevor be there in time for his appointments on Monday. Kline already knows the name of the Kookaburra. That will come out no doubt. One of Martin Blake’s conditions in agreeing to the use of his vessel was, neither his name nor the vessels name become public.

That is a big problem, Kline is the only reporter that knows of the Kookaburra, will he keep that quiet for awhile while he continues to dig for more information? If so Blake's name and the boat are safe for awhile. If Trevor and Shane return to Carnavon, honestly I think it would be a bad idea if they do, given the timeline the press will be waiting for them. So the appointment is out unless they can dock somewhere other then Carnavon and get a ride from Mr. Blake or Officer Fowler.

That is about to change. Now there will be how many reporters digging around. Even if they take off and head back to Sharks Bay, The reporters will want something. I am willing to bet there are pictures of the Kookaburra around somewhere. Maybe pictures of the Blakes are available. Think about it. The story will be of worldwide interest. Imagine pictures of Mrs. Blake showing up. You know for sure the papers in Florida will be into it. The story involves one of their own residents. I doubt they will pass it up.

Again the only reporters that know of the Kookaburra are Kline and his buddy. If they spill that tidbit out all the other reporters and camera crews will be looking for them. Kline will lose any advantage to a follow up story, so I think he will keep that information safe for awhile. (Unless the cartel thinks he more information that they want) :wacko:

Now the two of them, if warned in time, could stand out to sea again. If they do, I hope they disconnect the AIS system. I think that is likely to happen.

Looks like some fun times ahead. Plenty of material for CJ to leave us dangling. Can’t say he would use cliffhangers.

Marty

Looking forward to the next chapter, a cliffhanger is always an option for the goat!! :lmao:

Edited by Benji

Looking forward to the next chapter, a cliffhanger is always an option for the goat!! :lmao:

Shame on you Benji, The Goat never uses cliffhangers. Ask him! You don't even have to ask him. He loudly proclaims that on evey occasion. If someone doesn't provide one, he invents one. I think, "The guilty flee where no one persuith!"

I wish I had been a fly on the wall, when CJ read that posting.

Hrmmm... there was, come to think of it, a fly buzzing around me when I read that... :unsure:

Huh? :huh: :huh:

Benji, you know I never use cliffhangers!! Don't I say it often enough? :ph34r: :ph34r:

Shame on you Benji, The Goat never uses cliffhangers. Ask him! You don't even have to ask him. He loudly proclaims that on evey occasion. If someone doesn't provide one, he invents one. I think, "The guilty flee where no one persuith!"

:worship: :worship: :worship: Thank you!!!

Hrmm, on an entirely unrelated topic, it will soon be time to update my sig file.... :read:

Hi Benji,

I think we have a big problem. Did you notice the Goat's posting this evening? It is not

what he said, but what he didn't say. He failed to give his usual disclaimer, The one that

goes something like this

I like this post, but am unable to comment.

Maybe the Ares and Rachel were kidnapped by aliens in a flying saucer.

Marty

Edited by MartyS

Hi Benji,

I think we have a big problem. Did you notice the Goat's posting this evening? It is not

what he said, but what he didn't say. He failed to give his usual disclaimer, The one that

goes something like this

The GOAT has always used cliffhangers in his stories to draw in the interest

I like this post, but am unable to comment.

Maybe the Ares and Rachel were kidnapped by aliens in a flying saucer.

Marty

• Site Moderator

Hrmm, on an entirely unrelated topic, it will soon be time to update my sig file.... :read:

You can start by replacing the incomplete quote at the top of your list.

The signature police are watching!

Hi Benji,,

I thought I would bring something to your attention. My published belief that Rachel is in Australia. If I were a betting man, and I do bet occasionally, this is how I rate her being there.

If I had the opportunity to place a money bet, not to much, of course, that the boats were swapped I would do so. I would not do the same in regards to Rachel being in Australia.

There is one thing that swings me into believing it. Martin Blake has established the Kookaburra is his first boat and he was the first owner. Taking him at his word, I find it hard to believe that a person getting into a sailboat as a hobby or business would start off with a boat that large. I would compare that to using an 18-wheeler as the vehicle you learned to drive first. The clincher is Trevor’s estimation of Martins age. Trevor’s description of Martin was he was in his early thirties in 2006. In 1996, ten years ago, he would have been in his early twenties. Kind of young to own a ranch, or whatever they call it in Australia and a charter business, with approximately a half million dollar boat as an asset.

Have a nice weekend

Marty

Edited by MartyS

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..