Official Summer 2012 Southern California GA GetTogether

2012 SoCal Get Together  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you seriously think you could make it to a GA SoCal Get Together?

• Most Likely
    • Maybe, depends on the time
    • I am definite, but only if it is on this weekend....
  2. 2. What weekend works best for you?

• June 29th - July 1st
    • July 6th - July 8th
    • July 13th - July 15th
    • July 20th - July 22nd
    • July 22nd - July 29th
    • Aug 3rd - Aug 5th
    • Aug 10th - Aug 12th
    • Aug 17th - Aug 19th
    • Aug 24th - Aug 26th
    • Aug 31st - Sept 2nd
    • Any weekend works for me
    • Weekend doesn't really work, how about...(see below)

Thank you to Dark and others who have started this idea. I am happy to announce that we'll do an official GA GetTogether in the Los Angeles area sometime in summer of 2012. I'll start a poll soon with location and date choices though if you have specific ideas, feel free to chime in.

Once enough steam is gathered, I'll start a private forum for those that intend to attend so we can be more specific in planning. As with past official GA GetTogethers, anyone is welcome to attend, but the only way to get specifics of location/times/etc will be through myself to discourage stalkers. As past attendees can attest though, the groups tend to be very low key with no pressure to do anything more than sit around and chat. We'll try to organize just one main event (typically a dinner or lunch) though there may be additional side-events for those that want to make a full weekend of it.

So - any initial ideas?

Edited by wildone

Hey, this is fantastic! As grateful as I am for someone to take this off my hands, you know we don't have to do this, right? I wasn't even sure if there are enough people interested, so that's why I put up the topic. Seem to be on the East Coast, but us westies are a little more laid-back about this sort of thing. :P

While Anya was here, she dragged me to practically every beach in SoCal, lol. We noticed that at Huntington Beach, there's the state park and they allow bonfires at night. The place closes at 9 pm and the parking is expensive, but if we met somewhere and drove over as a group, that cost can be split. Plus there's the pier and nearby restaurants and such. It's not LA if you don't get to the beach, I suppose. Huntington also has a fireworks display, so that could be nice, but that will also depend on when we're there. I believe the 4th falls in the middle of the week next year, so that's not particularly helpful. Still, there should be enough activity there to provide entertainment for those who don't like the sand or water. There's also a quieter beach closer to LAX. Can't think of the name right now.

The Pike in Long Beach is also an excellent place, with more family-style restaurants clustered around the harbor. There's two movie theatres, the aquarium, and an arcade-type boardwalk available as well. I'm not sure if the Borders will still be open, but that's currently there as well. Being right next to the Long Beach Convention Center, there's quite a few decent hotels, too.

North of there, the next place I can think of is Santa Monica -- Kingdom by the Sea or JSmith are better able to say what's available up there.

Vegas is not too far, either, though it seems a bit boisterous and expensive for folks here. :P

TrevorTime could probably offer some places out his way. I'm not too familiar anymore with the area. Riverside is nice, though, and fairly easy to get to.

I will be able to put up folks for the night, if they need a place. You'll just have to bring an air mattress and sleeping bag with you. If my current plans hold true, I'll still be around in early July, but I'll have to be gone by August and school doesn't end for me until mid-June, so that's my push for time in July.

Depending on how things go in my life, I may be interested in going. I've never been to LA, so I would probably just plan a whole week or so and just happen to be there at the right time. Personally, I've always thought one somewhere in the midwest would be good, because it would be meeting in the middle. (Just saying...)

Depending on how things go in my life, I may be interested in going. I've never been to LA, so I would probably just plan a whole week or so and just happen to be there at the right time. Personally, I've always thought one somewhere in the midwest would be good, because it would be meeting in the middle. (Just saying...)

You mean like the one we had in Dallas? ;-) But seriously, we'll try to hit other areas, but not always easy. On the other hand, anyone can always try to set up a smaller unofficial one - the UK had a successful one!

The Pike in Long Beach is also an excellent place, with more family-style restaurants clustered around the harbor. There's two movie theatres, the aquarium, and an arcade-type boardwalk available as well. I'm not sure if the Borders will still be open, but that's currently there as well.

That Borders actually closed a few months ago. I think there's currently a second hand bookstore in that location, but I haven't really investigated. The Aquarium is still open, as well as one of the movie theatres, I think. And it's still a nice area as a whole, just a bit run down, but that's everywhere I suppose. I can't help feel that Southern Californa expedition must include some stretch of Coastline and city life. Long Beach has these things, as well as low-key gay community. Long Beach is also handy to Disneyland, if we really want to have a gay day out.

Santa Monica has the Third Street Promenade, is pretty close to Venice Beach, and not far from Malibu. MatthewK and PriviteTim would also have things to say about these locations.

I can find my way too and from work and that's about it for SoCal right now so I can't help with any locations. With enough notice I might be able to join. By that point I should be living up in NorCal but I can always take a mini-vacation.

You mean like the one we had in Dallas? ;-) But seriously, we'll try to hit other areas, but not always easy. On the other hand, anyone can always try to set up a smaller unofficial one - the UK had a successful one!

Actually, I was thinking Kansas City, Missouri, or one of its bigger suburbs like Overland Park, Kansas.
  • Like 1

How about considering the 800# gorilla in the room. West Hollywood is the gay mecca of L.A. (altho I admit that Long Beach is very active). Terrific restaurants, bistros, coffee shops and fun bars. There are accommodations at all price points. http://visitwesthollywood.com/

I would suggest my hometown - Palm Springs - but the summer months are a little toasty. http://www.visitpalmsprings.com/

However, the desert is exciting and summer months will yield deep discounts for lodging.

Wherever, I'll be there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Santa Monica is awesome (and Kingdom can be our tour guide! :P ). It's also a little easier to get to and find parking than West Hollywood, but I don't know if we can have a bonfire at that beach.

Long Beach rocks! :2thumbs: I think the people are a lot less snooty than the folks in Hollywood. Plus there's more things to do if you're not into the clubbing scene.

• 2 weeks later...

There's Sunset Beach, and if you get there early enough, there is free parking, but no fire pits. Lots of places all over everywhere to eat, shop, hang out, see live bands, drink, etc. Where I live, near Disneyland, seems to be the magical place (see what I did there?) where everything is about an hour away, so nothing is out of the question.

If we had more specific dates in mind, we could be on the lookout for things and plan around them.

Steve, you can have dibs on my couch. Mike, I have a second couch, but it's a little smaller, more of a love seat... and I definitely have floor space :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Okay, so Meeko gets the floor, the Lovely Tiffany Chin gets the big couch and I will take the smaller one. I will just sleep with my regular leg on the outside, the short one should fit no problem on the smaller couch :D

Now, this is directed to Mr. Trebs....

Have you thought of an actual concrete date set in stone? Were you going to see what works the best for everyone and take that?

The reason I ask is that I have work to consider and since I have the most seniority I can book off any week during the summer, but if I book one week and then it changes, I can't change. It wouldn't be fair to everyone else that books after me. Holidays are booked in the first week of January, so we have lots of time to decide. Just if we have the concrete date on January 1st, I'm sure it will help out a lot of peoples.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Posted Image I wanna go!!!!!! but I live so far away! Can you guys like set up a place in Utah too??

I'll set up a place in Utah for you!!!! lol. But I don't think that'd be very successful it makes more sense to have them in locations where there are more people that are from that area. A large ammount of people are from California on here versus hardly anyone from Utah.

• Like 1

Hey no fair I missed Dallas :(

That's my hometown

Where did yall go??