Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 92: Running the Gauntlet

I think this was one of the most gripping chapters appearing so far in the story. There is one thing I am looking forward to reading. That is when Constable Chris Kaminski meets Trevor for the first time in a future chapter.

Having been brought up on a beach, and I could swim before I could walk to the water’s edge, water and the sea have not held any fear for me. But, the water earth air interface is what hold all the problems. Harbour entrances, and river mouths are a nightmare. This is probably especially so because I have been there too many times. The worst one was when we had made Ostend Harbour before the storm, and tied up in the Yacht Club harbour. The waves in the entrance had increase from the slow rolling 5 feet waves of an Ostend Calm to sharp 30 foot waves. And the lights showed three reds (no entrance, no entrance at all, no entrance, that means you). The conditions in the harbour were the worst I have ever experience. We wore thru several mooring lines that night.. All river and harbour entrances are different, this is the best example but different “entrance video” I can find. It should give you an idea of what Murchison River Mouth, Kalbarri is like.

• Like 2

Having been brought up on a beach, and I could swim before I could walk to the water’s edge, water and the sea have not held any fear for me. But, the water earth air interface is what hold all the problems. Harbour entrances, and river mouths are a nightmare. This is probably especially so because I have been there too many times. The worst one was when we had made Ostend Harbour before the storm, and tied up in the Yacht Club harbour. The waves in the entrance had increase from the slow rolling 5 feet waves of an Ostend Calm to sharp 30 foot waves. And the lights showed three reds (no entrance, no entrance at all, no entrance, that means you). The conditions in the harbour were the worst I have ever experience. We wore thru several mooring lines that night.. All river and harbour entrances are different, this is the best example but different “entrance video” I can find. It should give you an idea of what Murchison River Mouth, Kalbarri is like.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

The Captains' Prayer

Oh Lord the sea is so big,

And my boat is so small.

Amen

Interesting video. I read a piece a few days ago which said that the most dangerous job was not being a policeman or fireman, but being a fisherman. I can believe it. Of course I have read Moby Dick as well as lots of the Hornblower series by Forester, but that was decades ago. I also saw the movie Master and Comander. I think CJ did a good job describing the river entry through the swells and breakers as well as the night navigation of the river. Like I said in my review of the chapter, I am sure I would have heaved, had I undergone such a journey.

Edited by Daddydavek

Posted Image ............ Bridget's silent partner is so silent, he almost doesn't exist. Posted Image So Trevor is the owner of both the Atlantis and the Aries! How interesting, that would explain Dirks question about Trevor with the attorney Frank. That video made the crossing Trevor and Shane accomplished look unreal, especially in the dark. So Shane and Trevor are going to be taken off the Kookaburra for a bit, I guess they going to see more sights inland then they intended. I imagine Constable Kaminski, will have an interesting talk with Trevor and Shane.

Posted Image ... Goat Island? Posted Image How lucky can an author get! Great chapter CJ! Posted Image

• Like 1

He claimed he didn't make the name up, but he must of scoured the Western Australian geography for months to come up with a goat island! Of course they couldn't hide behind it and had to journey further upstream because no one could ever successfully hide behind a goat! (Why do I feel a head butt coming on?)

I think this was one of the most gripping chapters appearing so far in the story. There is one thing I am looking forward to reading. That is when Constable Chris Kaminski meets Trevor for the first time in a future chapter.

They did well to sneak in right under his nose. :)

BTW, if anyone thinks I took liberties with the tide, river flow, and weather conditions, I didn't. :) Those wee the actual conditions that day (Dec 7, 2006) in Kalbarri. The Murchison had a high flow that year, due to a major storm inland a few months prior.

For those with Google Earth, you can see the differences in river flow between years by using the time feature to look at older satellite images.

As for the rain; that was the only day in December 2006 that it rained in Kalbarri.

Thanks Red!

Yep, I've been in a few river mouths, and those with bars (shallows across the mouth) are tricky. The Columbia Bar at the mouth of the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington is notorious, and I was just a passenger, hanging on with white knuckles.

Interesting video. I read a piece a few days ago which said that the most dangerous job was not being a policeman or fireman, but being a fisherman. I can believe it. Of course I have read Moby Dick as well as lots of the Hornblower series by Forester, but that was decades ago. I also saw the movie Master and Comander. I think CJ did a good job describing the river entry through the swells and breakers as well as the night navigation of the river. Like I said in my review of the chapter, I am sure I would have heaved, had I undergone such a journey.

Red A helped me a lot with this chapter, he's a real pro. :)

Posted Image ............ Bridget's silent partner is so silent, he almost doesn't exist. Posted Image So Trevor is the owner of both the Atlantis and the Aries! How interesting, that would explain Dirks question about Trevor with the attorney Frank. That video made the crossing Trevor and Shane accomplished look unreal, especially in the dark. So Shane and Trevor are going to be taken off the Kookaburra for a bit, I guess they going to see more sights inland then they intended. I imagine Constable Kaminski, will have an interesting talk with Trevor and Shane.

Posted Image ... Goat Island? Posted Image How lucky can an author get! Great chapter CJ! Posted Image

Trying that river mouth at night was risky... trying it in a storm was worse. If Trevor was a regular there it might have been safer, but he was literally running blind and depending on instruments a lot.

He claimed he didn't make the name up, but he must of scoured the Western Australian geography for months to come up with a goat island! Of course they couldn't hide behind it and had to journey further upstream because no one could ever successfully hide behind a goat! (Why do I feel a head butt coming on?)

Heh, it was actually dumb luck. I';d already picked Kalbarri. It's basically the only navigable river on that coast, and also the only port or anchorage in the area (there's nothing between there and Shark Bay). An Australian freind sent me the map below that shows the names well.

Posted Image

I wonder if Greg has planned to have the boys take a canoe safari? If they do go away from

Kookaburra for an extended period, I would think it highly advisable, to have an armed law

enforcement officer, check the boat prior to their return.

Heh, it was actually dumb luck. I';d already picked Kalbarri. It's basically the only navigable river on that coast, and also the only port or anchorage in the area (there's nothing between there and Shark Bay).

A fact not lost, presumably, on Basingstoke?

Basingstoke? He's not really a worry for Trevor and Shane, at all. Posted Image

This post, by The Goat, should be considered very carefully IMHO. First he appears to remove Trevor and Shane from the threat created by the mission Basingstoke has undertaken. However, CHJ qualifies the statement by inserting the word, "really."

I will consider this to be true only when the Hitman has been permanently removed from the storyline.

Hmmmmmmmmm I wonder,

Is the Goat planning on a XXX Rated chapter.

With the Chapter Title itself close to a printed phallic symbol and the very suggestive.......little

dots (whatever the hell their called) appearing, "Do you think The Goat might..................

Edited by MartyS

I can prove that Basingstoke isn't a worry or Trevor and Shane; they don't know he exists, so they aren't worried about him. :)

As for the "what goes up..." chapter title... well, those little dots could mean lots of things. They are called an ellipsis, and can stand for a continuation of the text that's unseen, on sometimes, depending on context, a pause or hesitation in dialog.

In this case, it means the second part of a well known phrase is hidden. I've done this before I think.. something like "The best laid plans..." meant "The best laid plans of mice and men".

CJ :)

I can prove that Basingstoke isn't a worry or Trevor and Shane; they don't know he exists, so they aren't worried about him. Posted Image

As for the "what goes up..." chapter title... well, those little dots could mean lots of things. They are called an ellipsis, and can stand for a continuation of the text that's unseen, on sometimes, depending on context, a pause or hesitation in dialog.

In this case, it means the second part of a well known phrase is hidden. I've done this before I think.. something like "The best laid plans..." meant "The best laid plans of mice and men".

CJ Posted Image

Tch, tch, Tch

Leave it to The Goat

Leaves off the important part

"Gang aft a-gley"

Or translated from the Broad Scots dialect

Often go astray

Edited by MartyS

For The Goat,

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin', tim'rous beastie,

O what a panic's in thy breastie !

Thou need na start awa sae hasty,

Wi' bickering brattle !

I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee

Wi' murd'ring pattle !

I'm truly sorry man's dominion

Has broken Nature's social union,

An' justifies that ill opinion

Which makes thee startle

At me, thy poor earth-born companion,

An' fellow-mortal !

I doubt na, whiles, but thou may thieve;

What then? poor beastie, thou maun live !

A daimen-icker in a thrave

'S a sma' request:

I'll get a blessin' wi' the lave,

And never miss't !

Thy wee bit housie, too, in ruin !

Its silly wa's the win's are strewin;

And naething, now, to big a new ane,

O' foggage green !

An' bleak December's winds ensuin'

Baith snell an keen !

Thou saw the fields laid bare an waste

An' weary winter comin' fast,

An' cozie here, beneath the blast,

Thou thought to dwell

Till, crash! the cruel coulter past

Out thro' thy cell.

That wee bit heap o'leaves an' stibble

Has cost thee mony a weary nibble !

Now thou's turn'd out, for a' thy trouble,

But house or hald,

To thole the winter's sleety dribble

An' cranreuch cauld !

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane

In proving foresight may be vain:

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men

Gang aft a-gley,

An lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promised joy.

Still thou are blest, compared wi' me !

The present only toucheth thee;

But, Och ! I backward cast my e'e

On prospects drear !

An' forward, tho' I canna see,

I guess an' fear !

CJ Posted Image

Err, so that would be "What goes up ... must come down".

And planes, like that nice Mr B's, go up. And then they come down (usually, but not always, in one piece Posted Image).

Likewise any passengers who ill-advisedly accept a "fright flight" with Mr B. Only, they may not "come down" at the same time, or in the same place, as Mr B's plane ... Posted Image

Edited by Zombie

Err, so that would be "What goes up ... must come down".

And planes, like that nice Mr B's, go up. And then they come down (usually, but not always, in one piece Posted Image).

Likewise any passengers who ill-advisedly accept a "fright flight" with Mr B. Only, they may not "come down" at the same time, or in the same place, as Mr B's plane ... Posted Image

Posted Image ........... Yep, that was my first thought! Mr. B's plane, with a reluctant passenger. Then I tried to imagine other scenarios involving the Florida cast and came up empty Posted Image

Posted Image ........... Yep, that was my first thought! Mr. B's plane, with a reluctant passenger. Then I tried to imagine other scenarios involving the Florida cast and came up empty Posted Image

Hi Benji,

Like TalonRider says, we will have to wait until, "SOME," Tuesday to find out.

BTW, I like your new picture. Are you waiting for a goat to ramble past? Be careful some goats

ain't fit to eat.

Marty

• Like 1

Hi Benji, Like TalonRider says, we will have to wait until, "SOME," Tuesday to find out. BTW, I like your new picture. Are you waiting for a goat to ramble past? Be careful some goats ain't fit to eat. Marty

Posted Image ............Actually I hear that goat meat is a great meal to eat!!

Edited by Benji

Posted Image ............Actually I hear that goat meat is a great meal to eat!!

Benji,

I didn't say all goat meat, just some is tough and grisley. Definately not pleasant to eat.

BTW One thing for sure, with Greg's wife now actually involved in the story (not just baking Key Lime Pies) and Mrs Blake finally making an appearance, it looks like your long time prediction about Rachel will be proved correct in the not too distant future. I am glad you convinced me.

Marty

Benji,

I didn't say all goat meat, just some is tough and grisley. Definately not pleasant to eat.

BTW One thing for sure, with Greg's wife now actually involved in the story (not just baking Key Lime Pies) and Mrs Blake finally making an appearance, it looks like your long time prediction about Rachel will be proved correct in the not too distant future. I am glad you convinced me.

Marty

Posted Image ................ Like an old sheep, some meat is as you say tough and grisly yet a young sheep is very good, I'd assume the same of a young goat! Posted Image .

Edited by Benji

Posted Image ................ Like an old sheep, some meat is as you say tough and grisly yet a young sheep is very good, I'd assume the same of a young goat! Posted Image, That said, I have always thought the goats inference to the pies, especially the Thanksgiving one were a hint of (Trevor's) his mother.

Opps! Sorry for the double post!

Edited by Benji

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..