Passing of Novelist Anne McCaffrey.

Andrew Q Gordon

Anne McCaffrey - while I don't know if she ever wrote about gay characters - was one of the first Sci-Fi Fantasy writers I remember reading. She was - by all accounts always willing to help aspiring novelist - especially woman - break into print.

Science fiction author Anne McCaffrey dies at 85

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

You didn't read between the lines about the Weyrs in the Pern series did you? Also the Robenton, Menolly, Sebell triangle. Remember how only male candidates impressed other than the queens? Remember how greens often went 'proddy' and bred because they were females but chewing stone to fight thread made them sterile? So... what happens when those greens mate and their riders are caught up in it through their bonds? Posted Image It was subtle but it was there. There was a subtle thread of disapproval about the licentious weyrs because of that and the freedom the women had in choosing partners as well on the parts of the Holders, sometimes it wasn't so subtle, lol.

I grew up reading McCaffrey. When I was 11 my teacher loaned me every book she had written at that point and I devoured them. That began my love of science fiction and it's still going strong almost 20 years later. I've most of her Pern books and quite a few of her other ones as well. Such a shame to lose and author as well loved as she is by her fans.

Oh, and I suggest you read Dan's Rider's Pride if you love Pern. I'm not big on fanfiction but it's seamlessly fit into the world and her writing style imo. A wonderful read that I've gone back to time and again.

Oh my gosh! I knew she was getting old, but she still seems to me that vibrant woman captured in the People of Pern. She passed the Pern legacy to her son, but it's not the same. Dear Anne, we've missed you for a long time. This is so sad! Posted Image

Maybe it's just because I have a dirty mind but the m/m in the Pern books was quite obvious to me; in fact it was my first exposure to the concept of characters who just happen to be gay rather than the story revolving around it.

It is so sad that she's died; her books have been very much a part of my life for a very long time

RIP

I just found out about this. She is and always has been one of my favorite authors, ever. Her stories about Pern are so fascinating that I devoured DK's fanfic when I found out about it.

If you haven't read her books, I highly recommend you do so. She is, in my opinion, well worth the read. She's even worth the money spent on buying her books and outright owning them.

I am just thankful that it appears that her son, Todd, may be taking up the reigns when it comes to the planet Pern.

Linxe

Ann was a fantastic author, with a vivid imagine, great talent and a very tolerant soul. As many of you have already mentioned, although it wasn't blatant, she did have underlying homoerotic tones which I know many readers picked up on. She was one of my favorite fantasy authors and will be sorely missed.

Anne McCaffrey's stories about the dragonriders of Pern clearly described the sexual exploits of the riders, especially when their dragons were in heat. Her stories indicated that sometimes the sexcapades were with members of the same sex. She was an accomplished writer who mixed fantasy with science fiction. In the late 1960s she became the first woman to win a Hugo Award for a work of fiction and the first woman to win a Nebula Award. She was inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in 2006 joining the likes of Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke etc.

Anyone who enjoys some well written fantasy, would enjoy her work.

RIP Anne!

She was the writer that pulled me into reading, started with Restoree, then the Pern series. What a loss. Although her son has taken on the task of keeping Pern alive. May her memory live on in her books, for many a generation.

Sad I liked her books... I read the Rohan Series, and some of the pern books, I think my favorite characters where the Harpers especially the boy... ^_^ too bad....but she had a long run. May she live on in legend and her stories.... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Oh No! It hurts when milestones in your life pass on.

In the last couple of months I reread about a dozen of my favorite A M novels and here I see a notice that she's died.

She was one of those authors gifted both with imagination, and the ability to craft that imagination into stories which sing and stay in people's minds.

Vale Anne McCaffrey.