Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

I am travelling to Belgrade tomorrow, having spent all last week in the dreary north west UK. The week after I am attending a major trade show. I'm very excited though by the end of this story and, perhaps, in time, the start of the next story.

So, while we are waiting for the chapter's to make the final rounds, let's bring the last conversation inwards a bit. Before we were looking for predictions for the next story... now I'm asking, What do you think the last chapters are going to bring us, and what do you think Mark will leave open for the next book?

Also, challenge time.... What do you think the next book should be called?

• Like 1

Well, be the slave driver that your students tout you to be and tell them to read a bit faster would you. Offer to double the wages you're not paying them. Slackers! (Except Sharon of course)

Now, the name of the next book would really depend on the theme. Personally I'd be happy with HMS Champion or HMS Pandora. But I suspect it will be something more politically landbound or innocuous like "The Battle of the Guild" or "The Privy Council vs the Guild: A Grudge Match"

• Like 1

Well, be the slave driver that your students tout you to be and tell them to read a bit faster would you. Offer to double the wages you're not paying them. Slackers! (Except Sharon of course)

Now, the name of the next book would really depend on the theme. Personally I'd be happy with HMS Champion or HMS Pandora. But I suspect it will be something more politically landbound or innocuous like "The Battle of the Guild" or "The Privy Council vs the Guild: A Grudge Match"

Oh go on.... give us a clue as to why "HMS Pandora" or "Champion"?

From my point of view, I would like to see something like "Foe's Vengeance" or "Divergence". I would like the theme of revenge and jealousy to be played out much more in the next story, particularly as I think that would be the most realistic.

Edited by Westie
  • Like 1

Oh go on.... give us a clue as to why "HMS Pandora" or "Champion"?

Well besides the fact that Granger is fully capable of personifying either name, Wiki shows those two as being commissioned in 1799.

Well besides the fact that Granger is fully capable of personifying either name, Wiki shows those two as being commissioned in 1799.

Ahhh, OK. Interesting. HMS Pandora was actually launched in 1779 (not 99), with later versions launched in 1780, and 1806. They were all relatively small ships though. HMS Champion was also launched in 1779. Not sure where you were looking for the '99 dates for these two, but I think they are mis-sourced.

But that's a REALLY AWESOME idea to check real ships launched on those dates.. By that account, a great name for the next story would be HMS Apollo. Named after the Greek God, the ship was a 36 gun 5th rate.

A ship named after a greek god with an awesome body does seem appropriate for Granger.

• Like 2

I'm gonna plead fat fingers. And I can see that at 28, 20 years must seem like a lot. Like you're almost ready for a walker to an 8 year old. But that's ok, you'll grow out of it.

The problem with a 5th rate is that it would, I believe, be tied to a fleet. He needs to not supersize this meal.

We know there are no major naval actions to be had for a bit so the next one will have to be primarily a land lovers political intrigue piece. (I think Mark is looking for something a little easier to research for this one.) You know, it happens when you get older. :rofl: So it'll be more like, "The Royal GSA" or "Plowing the Uphill Prince" I think. And it will probably involve a castle being built someplace in Ohio. :gikkle:

I think this book will end dramatically.   I haven't peeked at the posting done in the Yahoo group but I suspect there will be an attempt on Granger or his family's life and then end .    In that case, I expect the next book to be called "A dish best served cold!"  Or "Revenge:  A dish best served cold."

After all, George will be in a position of influence and has a vast network of influential friends so that he could really dish up something spectacular.   

Just my not so good intuition.....

• Like 1

A dish best served co . . wait, so you think its a good time to bring in the Klingons? Hmmm, well there are more than a few ships called Enterprise. Hmmm . . . The HMS Enterprise, Captain George Granger Kirk (Oh wait, that won't work at ALL. Everyone KNOWS the captain get's all the "women"!

Edited by ricky

disks? What ever you've got I'm sure there is a pill for it. In the mean time I will just ask Scottie to beam you up and hold you in the buffers until the next book starts. That way when you rematerialize, you can enjoy the last two chapters and get right into the new offering what ever it is called. Wait, centexhairysub may need help also (weak heart you know), Scottie make that two to go please. ;)

What part of "fat fingers" didn't you get? I used the smallest words I could. 0.o

(SOME people's children) Besides, everyone knows that Scotty has long since retired. You'd have to get Jordi to do it.

By that account, a great name for the next story would be HMS Apollo. Named after the Greek God, the ship was a 36 gun 5th rate.

Except frigates named Apollo had a very unpleasant tendency to sink.  :o

From Wiki:

• HMS Apollo (1794) was a 38-gun fifth-rate launched in 1794 and wrecked in 1799 off Holland.
  • HMS Apollo (1799) was a 36-gun fifth-rate launched in 1799 and wrecked in 1804 off Portugal.

Except frigates named Apollo had a very unpleasant tendency to sink.

Yes, but based on all of the ships Granger has commanded it would fit right in.

1. Aurore - caught fire and sunk

2. Commerce de Marseille - ended up anchored permanently

3. Intrepid - hit a reef and sunk

4. Belvidera - badly burnt and out of action indefinitely for major repairs

5. Bacchante - on the rocks with back broken

My first thought was that HMS Forlorn Hope would be a go with his track record. Now, I think that HMS Endeavour or Enterprise would be a good fit. A purposeful or industrious undertaking (especially one that requires effort and boldness). An apt description our hero to date.

• Like 2

Yikes, he's right. Up until now its been HMS Dependable Expendable!

Perhaps he'll end this book on a high note with Freddie and Davina's carriage mishap. And the Earl of Bridgemont leading a chorus of ding dong the witch is dead?

Edited by ricky
  • Like 1

So this is really interesting. We see that there are some people who agree with me about a theme of revenge.

And the general consensus is a land based adventure.

I think the only certainty is that if every single member of GA were to comment here, the fact is that Mark would manage to craft a surprise for everyone. Which is what I find truly awesome.

For example, when I saw in the last book that Mark was taking Granger around the world, I posted that it was a shame that there would be absolutely no way to get him to the Battle of the Nile. Duh.

With regards to Ricky's comment on research... It's incredibly obvious that Mark researches a lot for this whole series. I think a political intrigue would actually be much harder to research, because Granger would be out of his comfort zone. Don't forget that much of the research about life onboard a ship is already done - there is a built up body of knowledge on that score. Putting Granger into his Wife's realm would actually need a great deal more work, I would think.

Except frigates named Apollo had a very unpleasant tendency to sink.  :o

Thought it might help you create some drama. Just doing my bit with some heavy lifting ;)

Yes, but based on all of the ships Granger has commanded it would fit right in.

1. Aurore - caught fire and sunk

2. Commerce de Marseille - ended up anchored permanently

3. Intrepid - hit a reef and sunk

4. Belvidera - badly burnt and out of action indefinitely for major repairs

5. Bacchante - on the rocks with back broken

My first thought was that HMS Forlorn Hope would be a go with his track record. Now, I think that HMS Endeavour or Enterprise would be a good fit. A purposeful or industrious undertaking (especially one that requires effort and boldness). An apt description our hero to date.

Facts can be so annoying at times. :P

So this is really interesting. We see that there are some people who agree with me about a theme of revenge.

And the general consensus is a land based adventure.

I think the only certainty is that if every single member of GA were to comment here, the fact is that Mark would manage to craft a surprise for everyone. Which is what I find truly awesome.

For example, when I saw in the last book that Mark was taking Granger around the world, I posted that it was a shame that there would be absolutely no way to get him to the Battle of the Nile. Duh.

With regards to Ricky's comment on research... It's incredibly obvious that Mark researches a lot for this whole series. I think a political intrigue would actually be much harder to research, because Granger would be out of his comfort zone. Don't forget that much of the research about life onboard a ship is already done - there is a built up body of knowledge on that score. Putting Granger into his Wife's realm would actually need a great deal more work, I would think.

Thought it might help you create some drama. Just doing my bit with some heavy lifting ;)

I think the major factor here is that when I step into the political world, it is not as familiar to me as the social and political world of that era, so it means more research, and it means that plot devices require a lot more thought. 

• Like 2

Well then, I'll give you an update.  The last two chapters are done, and are in final editing/beta reading.  Some members of my team actually take vacations (except for Sharon) :worship: .  This isn't Walmart, even though I pay them almost as well.  :P  So I expect we'll have the next chapter out within the next 4-5 days, and the final one within a week of that one.

UGH! Still 2-3 days off. Snow bound and desperate. It will be like a ray of warmth and sunshine when it lands. And WHO ORDERED THIS SNOW STORM! Send it back, it's the wrong size. We ordered warm flurries!

Well then, I'll give you an update.  The last two chapters are done, and are in final editing/beta reading.  Some members of my team actually take vacations (except for Sharon) :worship: .  This isn't Walmart, even though I pay them almost as well.  :P  So I expect we'll have the next chapter out within the next 4-5 days, and the final one within a week of that one.

I guess that is good news and bad news.

Good in we get a new chapter soon and bad in that it is next to last.

I hope you have a new saga planned to follow quickly.  I'm a greedy bastage.

Edited by JimCarter
  • Like 1

I guess that is good news and bad news.

Good in we get a new chapter soon and bad in that it is next to last.

I hope you have a new saga planned to follow quickly.  I'm a greedy bastage.

And so say all of us, oh damn I can't carry a tune so just go to ( click on )

Now Ricky, calm down it is only snow (really only slightly chilled water droplets). To help put a smile on your face go to ( click on ). At least one or two of these should brighten up your day (it did mine). Oh, and Mark no.3 is all yours. Cheers.

Well Sady I've personally never found Monty Python to be humorous. Rather it's an embarrassment to humanity. I prefer the bits of life that are completely true that really set me to laughing. And not all of those moments were truly funny when they happened. And yes, I DO have an example in my own story locker. 1207 words of abject humility on my part as every word written is true.

"Sex Ed With Rudy Sharkey"

As stated, every word written is true. Not even the names were change to protect the innocent. But the laughter didn't stop with the story. You see, I figured that as old as I am that Rudy Sharkey was well into his next life. Turns out that one of the guys I went to school with plays golf with him every Monday and he googled his name to see what he could find and came up with the story. And so I was outed to the class but even better, he printed it out and delivered it to Sharkey. He said that he laughed and said he remembered it and really only objected to my description of him. So at least his advanced age has brought forth a sense of humor in him. But somehow, I don't think I'll ever be on his Christmas Card List.

• Like 1

A Brilliant Chapter Mark. It tied up so many loose ends. And of course brought forth more questions.

What are the duties of the Governor and Constable of Windsor?

Would it not be politically helpful for Caroline to try and find out who bankrolled the Vulture?

No mention was made of Humphries or his posthumous court-martial. Or a verdict on the loss of his ship. Did Humphries have a family? Did the death of a sailor just put his earnings back into the coffers of the ship or were they paid to their families?

It's apparent that George's stay on shore is already taxing his patience.

So the last chapter will tie up the few loose ends there must be that I just don't see yet and then setting the stage for the open of the next book. Whatever title that may have acquired in the back of Mark's ingenious imagination.

• Like 1

Yes indeed, a great chapter. Two more old questions I thought of besides the one Ricky asked about Mr. Humphreys. What about his new Baronial house on the Isle of Wight and will George make good his promise to Calvert on the equal share of the prize money?

Now begins my vigil of devotion ( and twiddling of thumbs).

Somewhere earlier in this forum there was some discussion about the title of the new book.

My guess is it will not be the name of a ship. Or something with 'the guild' in it.

'Windsor' would be my guess.

The main story line ?

What about :

- fight with 'The Guild'.

- fight with a fraction of John Company

- some political scheming Granger encounters when he is in Windsor

- a big problem in between Granger and one of his Brothers because one of them is involved in one of the points above...

- a new lover.... Kingsdale ? Cavendish ?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..