Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Kingsdale is certainly a possibility. He's got to be so horny he'd screw a snake if he could get someone to hold it tight enough. I think it's time to visit the new house and run into Mr Llewellyn and he and Mr Kingsdale could try out the new baths. It seems to me that the warlock should have grown a bit as well.

I would anticipate that during the next chapter we will get the new mansion of RYDE, but I also expect Granger to visit the Abbey and his men. However, it the next book and its possibilities that intrigue me.

As the latest two chapters of Odyssey indicated Kingsdale plans on returning to Ireland shortly. Right now in 1798-1799, Ireland is in upheaval suffering from the fall-out of the Failed Irish Revolution during the early part of 1798. That fall-out has bands of "outlaws" scurrying the countryside. I predict young Kingsdale and his party to fall prey to one of the roving bands of revolutionaries and George "riding" to his rescue. Not so much as a fighter but rather using his political clout of O'Higgins and Donegal to help the young Baron and assist them in righting the Baron's estates. In the process, I see Granger playing a part in the formation of 1801 creation of the United Great Britain and Ireland.

I would anticipate that during the next chapter we will get the new mansion of RYDE, but I also expect Granger to visit the Abbey and his men. However, it the next book and its possibilities that intrigue me.

As the latest two chapters of Odyssey indicated Kingsdale plans on returning to Ireland shortly. Right now in 1798-1799, Ireland is in upheaval suffering from the fall-out of the Failed Irish Revolution during the early part of 1798. That fall-out has bands of "outlaws" scurrying the countryside. I predict young Kingsdale and his party to fall prey to one of the roving bands of revolutionaries and George "riding" to his rescue. Not so much as a fighter but rather using his political clout of O'Higgins and Donegal to help the young Baron and assist them in righting the Baron's estates. In the process, I see Granger playing a part in the formation of 1801 creation of the United Great Britain and Ireland.

Damn, you're good and that's just how Mark thinks too. Any moment in history will do.

We'll see.

As for the last chapter, I think it will be as fantastic as all of the previous ones. He always leaves things open and asking questions into the next story. There is no such thing as a terminal end to a Mark Arbour story. And I flat love that. The name of the next will set the stage, land or sea. Unless of course Mark can come up with a title equivalent to the gender conveying connotation of the name Pat

As am I. Mean while the following are of persons and/or events from Odyssey.

1799 - 5 August - Admiral Howe dies.

- 14 December - President Washington dies.

1800 - 2 July & 1 August - Acts of union 1800 to unite the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland.

1801 - 19 March - Ambrosio O'Higgins, Spanish Viceroy of Peru and Governor of Chile dies.

- 2 April - Battle of Copenhagen, Nelson acts as he did at St Vincent.

- 19 May - Nelson is created a Viscount.

1802 - 4 July - Just an interesting note. West Point opens.

1803 - 23 January - ( I like stout) Arthur Guinness dies.

1804 - 12 July - Alexander Hamilton from wounds in a duel.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for that Sandrewn. We'll have a better idea of the direction of the next book when we see this final chapter. He always sets the stage with the unanswered new events. And I'm watching closely for the tickler of posting to arrive in my email. Staring actually at the monitor as it's expected any time.

;)

Thanks so much for that Sandrewn. We'll have a better idea of the direction of the next book when we see this final chapter. He always sets the stage with the unanswered new events. And I'm watching closely for the tickler of posting to arrive in my email. Staring actually at the monitor as it's expected any time.

Relax bro!!!!  I know you have heard the OLD saying about a watched pot!

Just kidding buddy, you know I am watching too.  I might be just a guilty, but that doesn't mean I can't kid you for showing your hand first.

Relax bro!!!!  I know you have heard the OLD saying about a watched pot!

Just kidding buddy, you know I am watching too.  I might be just a guilty, but that doesn't mean I can't kid you for showing your hand first.

Ya well I'm not looking for boils, Just a hot story.lol

Now that this one is finished, I look forward to the next one in the series.  Why don't you take a hour or two off before starting on the next one.  :wizard:

Just kidding!   Thanks again for all the work you and your staff do for our enjoyment.

UGH, all good things must come to an end but we don't have to like it. The last two words of this chapter were distressing. We've grown so accustomed to following the saga that it's hard to see it come to an end. I figured it out when they were in the conversation about Calvert and Gatling and then talking about Jacobs and I realized we were better than half way through the chapter and no new questions or circumstances were being presented. It was instead wrapping it all up in a neat bow. I actually went back and looked to see if you used those two words anywhere else. And you did not. *sigh*

No more Llewellyn, sniff. No more Kingsdale, Winkler, Cavendish or any of the other cast of characters you've fleshed out so well.

*sigh*

It's been a great ride and I thank you. I can only hope you choose to write another swash bucklers as I now SO love the sea and the period.

Cheers!

r

• Like 1

This is the first story that I was lucky enough to do some Beta reading for Mark. The amount of research that goes on behind the scenes is astounding for a man who works full time and also has a family. This is the longest of the bridgemont series, and it is also in my mind the best. It has the intricacies of CAP, while maintaining a historical character and setting.

I knew when I first read this last chapter that some people might be a little disappointed that certain aspects were left unresolved, but the really important point here is that in real life, very few of us have clear stages where all our problems are resolved at once. There is always some overlap. For me, it brings the realism to the story, and while acknowledging that the "Odyssey" is over, the overall story with George is not.

We should also note that while some of the "open points of interest" listed by Ricky, Sandrewn and others, are of great interest to those people, you need to wonder of how much importance those points are to the story. Again, we none of us go through life getting all the answers. Some of these loose ends might be around for a while.

That said, there will be some excitement on the horizon - I suspect that nobody has guessed correctly the eventual setting for the NEXT story, and Mark has a surprise up his sleeve there. I'm sure there will be more open questions, and more to wonder about. Mark's modus operandi is to lay out a number of threads and then tie them together as we go through the book, riding a crescendo of events, emotions, intrigue and fate.

Odyssey took us around the world - quite literally - and touched upon a huge number of historical events. It held our rapt attention even if at times Mark couldn't post as often as we would have liked. Suspense fuelled this story, which is why I like the format of posting chapter by chapter. If I bought this in a novel, I would enjoy it from cover to cover in an afternoon, but then it would be done. What we have here is a book that we all enjoyed over the course of a year and more. Importantly, we enjoyed it together, reading, then commenting, then debating. I would wager we all learned a little more about history - that spark of some topic in the book that spurred us to do some reading on our own.

There are many things that are awesome about this series - the characters, the setting, the stories etc. But the very BEST thing is the community. Regular commenters like DaddyDaveK, Ricky, Sandrewn, Kookie, Jim and Centex, author feedback from Mark, occasional acerbic wit from Sharon.

I have to say that I am looking forward to the next book a lot, but I am looking forward to the forum more.

And with that, I have a day of work ahead of me that involves schmoozing people at Europe's largest iGaming conference, following by getting paralytically drunk on the company pay. It is indeed a very hard life :)

West

• Like 2

Ok, I would love to be wrong here. Is there indeed another book to this saga Mark? Or does "The End" signify the next book will be a different saga? I know you had mentioned later battles and things that lead me to believe there would be more but you've not had "The End" on any other book and this is the first time when you've ended so completely. There was no foundation for another book lain out to make us drool.

I know that the amount of work you put into the story in researching is huge. I thought you had just found it all to be too much and decided to end it early.

So talk to us Mark. Make be a disgusting giggly old guy by saying there is more to come. Or is it, more to cum?

As a side note to what Westie said, "I love the banter and the discussion of the possibilities and I have indeed learned a great deal of history and fascinating facts of the period and of course the Royal Navy. And primogenitor-anomics  0.o (Hey, I'm American)

And I'm grateful to all those that have contributed and have become friends in this common enjoyment.

Perhaps someone could expound on the virtues of having a seat next to the King? Does that mean whenever he appears at court he is consigned to that chair rather than being able to wander? Is there any benefit to it other than the King showing a marked favor upon him? I realize that to be afforded the privilege of sitting in the presence of royalty is a marked honor.

Does that mean that he has the King's ear so to speak? And does that ability give Carline her power? That her husband has the King's ear?

Funny that his father must stand when his son is permitted to sit before the King.

And will this affect Granger's relationship with the Royal Prince of Wales? He's now in favor with the King. Will that make him less in favor with the Prince? Seems it could make for some awkwardness between them. While the King may see it as a possible bridge between them one has to wonder if the Prince would want such a bridge. But Royal blood has now seeped into the Granger name has it not? Not to mention the Royal seed that has seeped into Granger. So its no wonder such things shall sprout! Though I think that part of the royal family tree might soon be appearing more of a bush. Althoug if it were pointed out one might find they were barking up the wrong tree.

Now, back to the seat, is this a life long commitment? Or just as long as he is the governor and constable of Windsor. And for that matter, is that appointment for life? Term limits? what happens when the king croakes and the prince is crowned? Does he fill the positions with new staff of his choosing? What created the vacancy for George?

So many questions, I know so little about it all.

Oh, and Westie, I think it's great that you have a job that you love to attend. Nothing worse than having a job you hate to do. Enjoy.

• Like 1

I'm going to let Westie expound on the issue of precedence when he has a spare moment.

There is another story, but I'm going to take some time to do some life projects, so it will probably be a bit before it starts posting.

• Like 1

Thanks so very much Mark. You have no idea how happy that makes me. It really looked like the end of the saga. IF down the road you want to share the time frame your story is going to resume in, we'll be able to start our useless speculation that is so much fun.

Cheers,

R

• Like 1

I'm going to let Westie expound on the issue of precedence when he has a spare moment.

I'm still waiting for my Wall-mart sized paycheck....

Ahem, anyway....

The quote is actually: “We are pleased to offer you, our beloved Governor and Constable of Windsor, special precedence to sit at Our right side, alongside Our beloved cousin, the Duke of Suffolk.”

So note that what the King is offering Granger is the right, in the order of precedence, to sit with his father, the Duke of Suffolk (the new name for the Earl). The order of precedence is a MASSIVE thing at court. It dictates where you sit at a state banquet. What the King has done here is grant George a special privilege to sit with the dukes. This means that although Granger is only a Viscount, he gets special treatment.

Why is this important? Well, it means that Granger ranks ahead of his Brother, the new Marquess of Preston, even though his title is technically less senior. It is a very special mark of favour from the King, and in many ways a very public snub to Freddie.

When Mark and I were discussing the new Titles for George's father, the subject of Freddie leapfrogging George in precedence came up quite early on. it would have been unthinkable to promote George to a Marquess at this time, and so this "special precedence" was the best way to ensure George was treated "ahead" of his brother.

Stepping back Slightly, we should note that the Duke's new titles are: Duke of Suffolk, Marquess of Preston, Earl of Bridgemont, Viscount Blankford and Baron Haverleigh. We have never known before what "baronage" the Earl had, but he now has three more "places" with a link to them. Suffolk, Preston and Haverleigh. It would be interesting to hear people speculate on those names and why they were chosen - I'd love to hear thoughts on that :)

Anyway, Mark has confirmed that there IS a new story. For one, I am really looking forward to that, but of course that doesn't mean we can't continue to talk here in the meantime. There's lots to discuss.

Edited by Westie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Just a little more than seven years ago, a young wide eyed 15 year old George Granger stepped out of his father's carriage and into a new life. Who would have guessed this young man would be where they are. His father raised to a Duke, on the Privy Counsel and having the order of the Garter. George married, a post captain, knight of the Bath, a Viscount and Peer all at 22. In the good graces of both the King and the Prince of Wales.

What a wonderful ride!! Thousands of miles, marvelous adventures, some loses but many loyal friends a long the way. Not bad for the second story. Thanks so very much!!!

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for my Wall-mart sized paycheck....

Ahem, anyway....

The quote is actually: “We are pleased to offer you, our beloved Governor and Constable of Windsor, special precedence to sit at Our right side, alongside Our beloved cousin, the Duke of Suffolk.”

So note that what the King is offering Granger is the right, in the order of precedence, to sit with his father, the Duke of Suffolk (the new name for the Earl). The order of precedence is a MASSIVE thing at court. It dictates where you sit at a state banquet. What the King has done here is grant George a special privilege to sit with the dukes. This means that although Granger is only a Viscount, he gets special treatment.

Why is this important? Well, it means that Granger ranks ahead of his Brother, the new Marquess of Preston, even though his title is technically less senior. It is a very special mark of favour from the King, and in many ways a very public snub to Freddie.

When Mark and I were discussing the new Titles for George's father, the subject of Freddie leapfrogging George in precedence came up quite early on. it would have been unthinkable to promote George to a Marquess at this time, and so this "special precedence" was the best way to ensure George was treated "ahead" of his brother.

Stepping back Slightly, we should note that the Duke's new titles are: Duke of Suffolk, Marquess of Preston, Earl of Bridgemont, Viscount Blankford and Baron Haverleigh. We have never known before what "baronage" the Earl had, but he now has three more "places" with a link to them. Suffolk, Preston and Haverleigh. It would be interesting to hear people speculate on those names and why they were chosen - I'd love to hear thoughts on that :)

Anyway, Mark has confirmed that there IS a new story. For one, I am really looking forward to that, but of course that doesn't mean we can't continue to talk here in the meantime. There's lots to discuss.

Thanks Westie.  You get paid almost as much as a typical Walmart worker here in the US.  :P

• Like 3

Thanks Westie, I have a much better understanding of what happened now. For those of use in the colonies, we don't live in or around it so it's easy to get completely befuddled when things like this happen. At least it is for me. I DO however find it all very interesting. Funny, when I was in screwl, I could never see why ANYBODY would want to fill their heads with all those useless facts. And I considered that I never saw a single question on an application referring to any of our long dead ancestors. I found history to be an annoyance. Of course the closer I get to becoming part of history the more interest I gain in it.

And this has been a most delightful way of learning a bit of it. Thanks for your expertise. If it wasn't for that little issue of you hating kids then I think you would make a marvelous history teacher. But since the only way you like kids is with salt and pepper, perhaps it's not the best choice for you. eh?

As for the names, again I think they would have to mean something to somebody so that won't be me. But I'd venture to say someone from the UK may have clue.

Cheers,

r

• Like 1

I think most Americans find all the "pride of place" a bit of a curiosity but not something with which they can identify.   Here it's all about the money.  And I suppose that has it's roots in the very historical times of which Mark has written.  

Since Westie confirmed there will be another book in the series I am again drawn to speculate whether it will have revenge as a theme or at least a sub-theme.   I still foresee an attempt on the Granger family in any case.  Whether it can be traced to the Guild or originates elsewhere may be somewhat murky too and complicate the plans George makes for retribution.

• Like 2

Now that this one is finished, I look forward to the next one in the series.  Why don't you take a hour or two off before starting on the next one.  :wizard:

Just kidding!   Thanks again for all the work you and your staff do for our enjoyment.

Three days. It was three days. Shortest vacation ever.

• Like 5

Georges' very first words in book one of this series were " I won't let you down Father ".  His last words in Odyssey (at least to himself could have been " I kept my promise, I haven't let you down Father ". You can almost visualize a young George learning to play the flute just to please his Father. Well done and thank you Mark.

• Like 1

Just on the titles. Probably the most famous holder of the title "Duke of Suffolk" was Charles Brandon. Some of you might recognise the name, especially if you watched the Tudors. He of course, was played by the mouthwateringly handsome Henry Calvill, who we now know to be superman :)

This title was chosen because, becoming extinct on it's 3rd Creation (when Henry Grey was executed), there was no risk that it would conflict with a real life historical figure that George might encounter. I don't imagine that the Old Earl (or Duke as he now is) looks anything like Henry Calvill, but why would I let a little thing like that stop me from posting a picture?

fashion_scans_remastered-henry_cavill-de

• Like 1

With the exception of the Duke of Suffolk (extinct), like the Earl of Bridgemont all seem to be fictitious. I can not even find a town of Haverleigh, the now named Barony. The others are scattered on/or near the  coasts of the England (the two new ). I can find no reason for their being chosen (so far). I can find no reference to lands or on estate that comes with the Dukedom, will he have to build a county residence for himself. Will he take on the heraldic symbols of the prior Duke? Or does he get to create his own and keep his Bridgemont Blue? Not, I guess important questions, but to me interesting ones.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..