Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

St Vincent, CH 09. The battle with the pirates/zebecs. (Yes, I'm re-re-re-reading) He had Mr Gatling ripping out his stern windows to install 18 pounders. But as I recall, when he gave Caroline a tour of Belvedera in the last book, she asked about the two boxes and he said they were 18 pounders underneath. The facade was currently window boxes of herbs that luckily were aromatic. So there were already two 18 pounders there.

Am I correct in my observations here?

This from CH 04 of Belvedera

"Caroline asked, pointing at two large boxes. They had containers on top of them for plants.

“Underneath each of those lies an 18-pounder cannon,” he said. She looked and noticed a similar one on the other side. “LeFavre has

commandeered these planters for spices and herbs. Fortunately, most of them are pleasantly aromatic,” Granger said cheerfully."

Edited by ricky

You are correct in that were covered 18 pound cannon in Granger's cabin.  But they were pointed either starboard or port (larboard(sp?)) not astern (rear).  To fire them astern the stern windows had to be removed and the existing cannon's moved and mounted in their new positions or as happened smaller more easily moved cannon's mounted there.

Edited by Kookie
  • Like 1

You are correct in that were covered 18 pound cannon in Granger's cabin.  But they were pointed either starboard or port (larboard(sp?)) not astern (rear).  To fire them astern the stern windows had to be removed and the existing cannon's moved and mounted in their new positions or as happened smaller more easily moved cannon's mounted there.

And that is spot on. :worship:

Keep in mind that when they cleared for action, all the partitions were taken down and Granger's stuff was stored below so as not to add to any shrapnel. His planter boxes thus become the two stern most guns of the gun deck, port and starboard. This must of irritated LeFavre to no end. It was not mentioned if on Bacchante there were guns in his cabin. Regardless, his stuff would still have been stored below for the same reasons.

Thanks for that explanation. Now it makes more sense. I forgot that his quarters were part of the gun deck.

The newest chapter was fantastic. Can someone explain what being awarded the Garter means?

Being the governor of Windsor, does that mean he will not be going back to sea? It sounds like a maned position. Or is it like having an office? My apologies if this seems like a stupid question. But it's really a different world for an American commoner like myself. We've never had to study these things or had knowledge of these facets of British society.

Being the governor of Windsor, does that mean he will not be going back to sea? It sounds like a maned position. Or is it like having an office?

Governor of Windsor appears to be a ceremonially post while technically in charge of Windsor Palace, the real duties of that responsibility lied with others. The advantage of the position is the unfettered access to the crown.

Edited by Kookie

Governor of Windsor appears to be a ceremonially post while technically in charge of Windsor Palace, the real duties of that responsibility lied with others. The advantage of the position is the unfettered access to the crown.

The governor of Windsor (Actually the "Constable and Governor of Windsor") was not a ceremonial post at this time (in the way it is now). While it is true that day to day, much of the undertaking of that role was delegated to the Deputy Governor and his minions, the role of Governor itself actually held considerable power. For instance, as well as being the colonel of the Castle Guards, he was also the Judge of Record for Windsor Castle, the town of Windsor and its environs. This encircled many other small towns and districts too.

Granger will be free to exercise that power of his own volition, whereas in a ceremonial role if the powers still exist they can only be exercised on the advice of the government.

• Like 1

Doesn't sound like he would be free to return to the sea. :(

I wouldn't worry too much. The office could be exercised remotely, and the deputies exercised authority day to day. It probably indicates a posting nearer to home, but we should also note that in June 1799, Earl St Vincent be returning home, and after 1800 will become the Admiral of the Channel fleet. I think it inevitable that Granger will be posted to one of the Home Fleets, with the odd special assignment under his mentor St. Vincent.

• Like 2

Is the position of "Constable and Governor of Windsor" a life time appointment of did it have a finite term? And I'm assuming it came with a stipend as well?

It said that he had access to a place to entertain as well. So that would be another perk? To be able to invite people to Windsor that might not ordinarily have that opportunity? That would seem to create a powerful position for Caroline as well as that would give her great political power over the lower minions. Is that a correct assumption?

I think he would serve at His Majesty's pleasure (an indeterminate length of time) and there was a stipend, George mentioned it.

I feel like Ebenezer and the Spirit  of Christmas Future (Westie) of things that may come to pass, has just visited us. Now I wonder. If we were to all chip in and send Mark a friggin great big turkey, might we effect George's future propects (hint, hint). It really was a great chapter, thank you again.

I feel like Ebenezer and the Spirit  of Christmas Future (Westie) of things that may come to pass, has just visited us.

More like the spirit of an educated guess.... Don't forget that in the end, Ebenezer did send that big turkey, and the Ghost of Christmas future's images didn't come to pass...

(i.e. I could just be full of Cr*p)

Edited by Westie
  • Like 2

Yesterday, Christmas came early. After waiting in Paris for what seemed like forever, George, our hero came home. Almost a year and a half after he left, he returned. Doing every thing he was asked to do and more.  I just think of what it must have seemed to Caroline. Knowing that her husband is only some 260 miles away. So close yet so far. Now at St. James Palace, in front of King and court, her husband appears. What she has been hoping and praying for has happened. What a Christmas present! Mark who is famous for happy ends, has out done himself. I hope for a few more chapters. Reunion with Winkler, Jacobs, his father the Earl, Arthur, Freddie and others. A much different home coming this time. Maybe ending with Christmas at Windsor. For once George can wait and enjoy his family and friends, what better Christmas can there be? I can not thank Mark enough for his wonderful gift!!

• Like 3

Before I start this post I must say I am sorry. I feel like an ingreat. No one has written more in a shorter time. If it was only that then, but his stories and the characters leap off the page and force us to love or hate them. I yurn really yurn for another chapter, for George to enjoy the holiday with his family. I know Mark has come out with three out standing chapters in the CAP story but please don't forget George. I understand that with George's homecoming, he is just hanging out, no ship and when we get to this point in a story, almost to the end of a book, it can be hard to let go. It must be even harder for an author, for these stories must be almost like his children. Honestly, I am always sad at the end of each book. Please, Please, let us hear from George, soon/ Thank you, Mark!!

Mark is out of town, on winter break, between semesters so I think that unless he had a chapter in the pipeline ready for his editor and betas that we might have to wait a while.  But then like you I am always hopeful for a pleasant surprise.  

• Like 1

I thought I'd give you guys an update on what I'm doing (or not doing) with Odyssey.  Basically, now that Granger is home, what I have to do is go back and tie all the loose ends together, and that means that I have to deal with all the things that happened on his trek around the world.  While pretty much everything has been revealed at home (through his reports), Granger still has to deal with explaining them, and he has to deal with the changes that have happened. 

That means that I have to go back through the story and re-read it, and decide how all of those events are going to impact Granger on his return.  That takes time, and that's what's caused the delay. 

I wanted to get us to a good stopping point in the story, so I could take my time and do just that.  I think we're there, and in fact, some readers even thought Odyssey was over.  So when I get a chance, I'll dive into it again and tie things up, but in the interim, I'm a bit too busy for that kind of a project. 

• Like 5

Mark please don't get me wrong. I have always thought your stories were unique. They grab you and don't let go. Normally, I have gotten into the Cap story, but since the Odyssey started I have been drawn into it more and more. Reading it over and over. I believe once you said you started writing this story to help you with the other, It has now at the same level as Cap in my mind. Not just the other story but much more. Of course who wouldn't want to sail  around the world with George? Even with all the dangers. When Winkler was relating his story, it reminded me how young our boy wonder is, only 22. Think of all the things he has done and maybe will still do. Brave. couragious, handsome, and most important he has a good heart. Yes Mark, you are correct, these next chapters with take a lot of work, but I know they will be outstanding, because of who you are, a true craftsman, an artisen of words, a bard, like the ancient story tellers of old. Have  a good vacation. Happy New Year!! All the best!!

Edited by rjo
  • Like 2

Well, we knew the end was nigh and now we also know a bit delayed. So to help  fill the void I wandered the net and found this comic strip, I think it is from the U.K.

Just keep pressing the foreward button to see more. See how long it takes before you feel the urge to delete it. It really doesn't get any better. The odd one did get a chuckle.

Faultytwin.com - One man, no brain in comic strip form

• Like 1

I would start by apologizing for leading you all to Faultytwin.com. Now as bit of distraction during our series intermission, I have found that there were indeed ships in His Majesty's navy, named HMS Intrepid, HMS Belvidera and HMS Bacchante. Note, that the description of this Belvidera's guns (36) just adds to my ongoing confusion of the rating system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Intrepid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Belvidera_(1809)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bacchante_(1876)

I would start by apologizing for leading you all to Faultytwin.com. Now as bit of distraction during our series intermission, I have found that there were indeed ships in His Majesty's navy, named HMS Intrepid, HMS Belvidera and HMS Bacchante. Note, that the description of this Belvidera's guns (36) just adds to my ongoing confusion of the rating system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Intrepid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Belvidera_(1809)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bacchante_(1876)

Here's a link to the rating system.  You'll find a table for the ratings in place during the Napoleonic Wars. 

Posting to a ship that was "rated" was what entailed promotion to Post Rank.   Thus, when Granger was promoted to command Belvidera, as a rated vessel, he was promoted to a captain or "post captain". 

Well, fancy that! Who would of thought (not me obviously) that my on going quest for the answer as to how that darn rating system worked, was right there. Oh so cleverly hidden away under a reference, called of all things ' Rating System of The Royal Navy ', ouch.

Thank you Mark for taking pity on me.

Note to Self:

1 - get one tall cap with dunce printed on it.

2 - take time out from twiddling thumbs.

3 - get a chair

4 - go sit in corner

5 - put on dunce's cap

6 - think about doing the obvious in the future

7 - afterwards put away chair

8 - keep cap handy somewhere (just in case)

9 - go back to twiddling thumbs

• Like 1

Well, fancy that! Who would of thought (not me obviously) that my on going quest for the answer as to how that darn rating system worked, was right there. Oh so cleverly hidden away under a reference, called of all things ' Rating System of The Royal Navy ', ouch.

Thank you Mark for taking pity on me.

Note to Self:

1 - get one tall cap with dunce printed on it.

2 - take time out from twiddling thumbs.

3 - get a chair

4 - go sit in corner

5 - put on dunce's cap

6 - think about doing the obvious in the future

7 - afterwards put away chair

8 - keep cap handy somewhere (just in case)

9 - go back to twiddling thumbs

I think a man of your experience could find far more entertaining things to do in the naughty corner. Especially since there's 361 days until Santa looks at his list again.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..