Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

While advancement in peerage is possible, unless his father was advanced also, I am doubtful would happen.  However, it possible that Granger will be granted a "pension" for life.  St Jervis and others were granted them. 

Edited by Kookie
  • Like 1

Let's not forget that this story tends to be woven into history. So advancement to a new peerage is not likely as it would not be defensable with history . . . or would it? I've no clues. That's something that the uk contingent would have to comment on. It's more likely that he would be given something he could more readily appreciate. Like Higher rank. Perhaps a yellowing out of ALL Wilcox's to achieve that end. He might still have to contend with a Mann or two however. (Pardon the punn.)

He might still receive an advancement in the peerage however perhaps to a lessor degree. OR his father may be advanced which in the peerage mindset, advances the entire family.

As for a next book, that has already been foretold. Mark said that there were battles in the future than Granger would be party to. I don't recall exactly but it was in a discussion involving the Americans I think. So there will be another book I am sure.

MORE my concern is what will happen to Gatling. I mean I've grown to care about the lad regardless of his taste in men. I've never made a secret of the fact that of all the characters in this novel, Calvert is probably the least likable for me. But that is in relation to Granger. Perhaps Gatling is his match made in heaven. Both discrete and in agreement. That spells harmony. I'd not like to see them separated. And as ruthless and vindictive as Caroline can be, that is entirely possible. But I hope not. I can only hope that Granger returns to save the day. After all, Freddie is still there right? And he is the one I would most like to see him with. Remember? He is the only one who can foster jealousy in in a flash. UGH! Caroline? There is a REASON I am gay. Women are fueled emotionally, men are fueled logically. I know, just ask my wife. (ya, she knew I was gay before we wed.) But there is a completely different wiring diagram for the woman's mind. So who KNOWS what she will cook up. She might have Gatling rendered to a barnical scraper in the antarctic and Calvert doing a row boat patrol where Baccanti went down.

• Like 1

“Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid.” - George Carlin

:rolleyes: Tutti gli uomini sono idioti, ogni ultimo.

“Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid.” - George Carlin

:rolleyes: Tutti gli uomini sono idioti, ogni ultimo.

Uh, ya. He's dead now isn't he? 0.o I'm thinking his crazy wife killed him.

:rolleyes: E ognuno è stato fatto in quel modo da una donna.

While advancement in peerage is possible, unless his father was advanced also, I am doubtful would happen.  However, it possible that Granger will be granted a "pension" for life.  St Jervis and others were granted them. 

Granger is one of those lucky/unlucky gents who has already been well-rewarded, probably too well rewarded.  I can't see that he'll get an advancement in the peerage until at least after his father does.  And there's no naval promotion available to him either: he's much too junior to be given an appointment as commodore. 

The problem that the government will face is that if they heap inordinate rewards on Granger, it will arouse significant jealousy and discontent.  Hasn't this latest voyage already earned him vast riches?  Who is to say that someone else (another naval officer) given the same tool (Bacchante) couldn't have achieved that, or more?  Think about those in our society today who get too famous and rich too quickly, and how the rest of the world longs for their destruction.  Granger and his family will want to avoid that. 

Granger is one of those lucky/unlucky gents who has already been well-rewarded, probably too well rewarded.  I can't see that he'll get an advancement in the peerage until at least after his father does.  And there's no naval promotion available to him either: he's much too junior to be given an appointment as commodore. 

The problem that the government will face is that if they heap inordinate rewards on Granger, it will arouse significant jealousy and discontent.  Hasn't this latest voyage already earned him vast riches?  Who is to say that someone else (another naval officer) given the same tool (Bacchante) couldn't have achieved that, or more?  Think about those in our society today who get too famous and rich too quickly, and how the rest of the world longs for their destruction.  Granger and his family will want to avoid that. 

So much said with so little.

In other words, "Oh shit,I didn't expect this response AT ALL. So he'll not receive much of anything because my focus was not on this at all. So kiddies, that means he will return home with an ataboy and not much more because it's already written. lol

HOWEVER! He will have the unending love and admiration of his sovereign. Who could really want more? As well as Mr Humphries and the crew receiving accolades. Sounds right to me.

Edited by ricky
  • Like 1

In other words, "Oh shit,I didn't expect this response AT ALL. So he'll not receive much of anything because my focus was not on this at all. So kiddies, that means he will return home with an ataboy and not much more because it already written. lol

HOWEVER! He will have the unending love and admiration of his sovereign. Who could really want more? As well as Mr Humphries and the crew receiving accolades. Sounds right to me.

One thing wrong with your post: it's not already written.

• Like 1

In other words, "Oh shit,I didn't expect this response AT ALL. So he'll not receive much of anything because my focus was not on this at all. So kiddies, that means he will return home with an ataboy and not much more because it already written. lol

Sadly you are probably spot on with your comment. God Save The King ( and Lord Arbour too)! However, I do believe that collectively all our comments do have some effect at times on the story's twists and turns (if they make any sense that is). Isn't that what feed back is supposed to be for? We are Marks mob. Lastly, R.I.P. Acting Captain Humphreys, I hope his share of 6,000 Pounds goes to his family.

Maybe they will treat George with a 74 and cut him loose to prowl...or maybe he'll just take a 74 from the French with a crew of captured British sailors and then create some mayhem with them.   It wouldn't be out of character for Mark to provide us with such an opportunity!    I'm sure that a lot of things would have to fall into place for that to happen, not at least violating his parole...unless he was forced to escape somehow.  We never know exactly what lurks in the mind of our esteemed author! :devil:

The scenario I had in mind would be someone high in the French government deciding to execute George so he has to escape and ventures (eventually) to a port city where they are holding British prisoners of war, and well, you can guess the rest!  But, since I ain't writing this thing, I guess we'll have to wait for Mark to decide! :unsure2:

Re: Granger's reward.... it is worth noting that there are other ways to reward a man such as Granger without needing to resort to the peerage.  The peerage wouldn't necessarily be the first choice of reward either.

the tantalising question is, what do you give a man who doesn't need money, and really doesn't need the next rung on the peerage ladder...

:)  And how might such a reward serve multiple interests.  What are Caroline's needs?  What would the Earl and Countess want?  What would a neglected Duke of Clarence lobby for? And what would show George to be in the King's favour, yet meet all of the above?

• Like 1

I agree, being part of Lord Arbour's Mob isn't a bad thing. But I think at times we've shown him just how mob like we can be. And fickle at times as well.

Re: Granger's reward.... it is worth noting that there are other ways to reward a man such as Granger without needing to resort to the peerage.  The peerage wouldn't necessarily be the first choice of reward either.

the tantalising question is, what do you give a man who doesn't need money, and really doesn't need the next rung on the peerage ladder...

:)  And how might such a reward serve multiple interests.  What are Caroline's needs?  What would the Earl and Countess want?  What would a neglected Duke of Clarence lobby for? And what would show George to be in the King's favour, yet meet all of the above?

How about a new ship. A hand picked crew from what's left, time to provision it and a visit by the king. That would clearly show favoritism, place a target firmly on the ship, probably named "The George" after the king of course, depending on who you ask. Oh, and perhaps a bust of Mr Fox on the bow to chase away the sea demons?

I'm thinking since the Earl is now on the Privy Council. The Earl would become a Marquess. George would become an Earl also getting a bigger ship and hand picking his crew and going back to the Med. We have to remember George risked his life to save the government, also is taking care of a royal child as his own. He has done eveything that has been asked of him. Only Wilcox and Fox are against him. Except for Nelson he is the man of the hour. He is also been a captive. The mob will demand a big reward.

Edited by rjo

I'm thinking since the Earl is now on the Privy Council. The Earl would become a Marquess. George would become an Earl also getting a bigger ship and hand picking his crew and going back to the Med. We have to remember George risked his life to save the government, also is taking care of a royal child as his own. He has done eveything that has been asked of him. Only Wilcox and Fox are against him. Except for Nelson he is the man of the hour. He is also been a captive. The mob will demand a big reward.

I just think we aren't seeing the whole board...  there are a lot of background politics that will come into play when George gets home.  It wont just be about rewarding George.  He has made some powerful enemies (the guild).  We do not yet know what his father will be lobbying for, or his wife.  We know he has done the King a personal service, but it would look bad to award both the Earl and George with peerage advancement at the same time.  Moreover, George only just got his first elevation.

I think Mark is going to have to do something unanticipated here.

• Like 1

I think the guild is no longer an issue with Maidstone dead there is less of a vindictive atmosphere around. But then again, we don't know who Maidstone was in league with. But the issue against the good doctor should now be a moot point since there is no one to levy the charges anymore.

And what of the iron foundry that Caroline invested in? And the house Granger is having built on the Isle of white?

Perhaps Calvert and Gatling can slip off to the Mediterranean with Lord St Vincent before Caroline has her way with them. But somehow I think that issue will have to be addressed in the open of the next chapter perhaps with Calvert approaching Caroline. And hopefully defusing the Carobomb that currently has a sizzling fuse.

As for George being freed. I can't see a straight forward transaction. Granger never does anything in a small way. Perhaps the french privateers will come to the rescue? Or his host will lose his head and Granger will slip out with Eastwyck? Time will tell.

• Like 1

How about Ambassador to the Americans, he is already well known there. Or Governor General to Canada since he is fluent in French with the added bonus of getting Jardine there as a military adviser.

For a member of the aristocracy that would amount to exile. It's generally saved as a punishment, like Freddie and Davina. Which reminds me, what are THEY up to? They've been unusually quiet. I have to wonder if they were involved in the Maidstone ventures. It sounds like Davina.

I think the guild is no longer an issue with Maidstone dead there is less of a vindictive atmosphere around. But then again, we don't know who Maidstone was in league with.

You think Maidstone was the pinnacle of the Guild? I think he was simply a tool.

This is an organisation powerful enough to arrange the appointment of a new Governor, and what do the Privy council do? The easiest thing would be to reprimand John Company and issue immediate letters revoking the appointment. But no.... the Guild is powerful enough that even the Privy Council has to work cloak and dagger like secrecy.

Moreover, we have already seen Spencer balk at Caroline's mere MENTION of the guild. This is the First Lord of the Admiralty. He answers not to Pitt, the Prime Minister, but directly to the King. How powerful do you have to be to intimidate such a man?

• Like 2

You think Maidstone was the pinnacle of the Guild? I think he was simply a tool.

This is an organisation powerful enough to arrange the appointment of a new Governor, and what do the Privy council do? The easiest thing would be to reprimand John Company and issue immediate letters revoking the appointment. But no.... the Guild is powerful enough that even the Privy Council has to work cloak and dagger like secrecy.

Moreover, we have already seen Spencer balk at Caroline's mere MENTION of the guild. This is the First Lord of the Admiralty. He answers not to Pitt, the Prime Minister, but directly to the King. How powerful do you have to be to intimidate such a man?

I agree that Maidstone was not a major player in the Guild.  A major player would not allow himself to be sent to an isolated island where he would have a limited in the attempted circumvention of the John Company.

However, at the time Granger departed, the Privy Council, the Government, and the John Company had little or no information about the guild and what was occurring.  They only knew something was amiss.  I assume during the George was gone, the Royal Family and the Government investigate and uncovered some of the plot and who are behind it.  The red-flag that started the questioning of what was occurring was Maidstone's appointment and the way it was handled. 

Chapter 15 alludes to this:

After they had recovered, the Duke walked toward his window and looked out, then turned back to Granger.  “I am unsure as to how Maidstone managed to secure the position of Governor.  I have spoken with my father about it, and he was unaware of it as well.” 

“His Majesty was not consulted on the appointment of a governor, Your Royal Highness?” Granger asked, amazed.

“Evidently John Company views Amboyna as a corporate fiefdom, and has forgotten that they operate under a charter granted by their Sovereign.” 

“This whole thing seems highly unorthodox, Your Royal Highness.  I wonder what my trip to Amboyna will be like, and I wonder what I will find when I get there.” 

“And I am wondering what and who is behind this whole thing,” he said.  “I am glad you have told me what is happening.  The Prince of Wales tends to overlook Maidstone’s boorishness because the man is wealthy, and my father generally overlooks it because he has other things to worry about.  This move will no doubt irritate both of them.” 

“I am sorry to be the bearer of troublesome issues, Your Royal Highness,” Granger said sincerely. 

“Yes, but it is important to know, and besides, seeing you is always such a pleasure.” 

Remember it was disclosed in the last couple of chapters that the guild was composed of some mid-high ranking officials of the John Company, at least in part.

Edited by Kookie
  • Like 1

A Great Chapter Mark. But he seems to be no closer to freedom. I wonder if there was anything significant in the Spanish correspondence. The ambassador said he was instructed to try and facilitate his parole but there is no Spanish ambassador in England now. So perhaps he can pressure the mob locally to set him free?

But the bottom line is he remains a guest of the French.

I think the Spaniards may have quite a bit to do with Granger's release...and the reason I think that is because Mark brought it up.  It hadn't occurred to me that his friends in the Spanish court might be able to influence his release somehow.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.  

I don't see Calvert's assignment to the West Indies as a bad thing, certainly not to be treated as an exile.  He is a legitimate captain of a frigate in his majesty's navy, after all.  It seems to me that everyone in England who counts is aware of the Granger/Calvert connection...are there no secrets any more?  Whatever, no one seems to mind all that much.  Of course they don't have any hard evidence either, just speculation.  No one has caught them in action, thank goodness!

• Like 1

Well it's true that Lord Arbour does not waste words, every one contributes to the story. But, and here I speculate, the leverage the Spanish have is tenuous at best. Remember that they sided with them because they were such a threat. And I would think that his most Catholic Majesty was also concerned about the idea or concept of a republic infecting his own country. Perhaps he was left the stronger after the battle of the Nile, I don't know. But it doesn't appear that the French republic was rational, predictable, reliable or trustworthy. So the ambassador's influence must be limited to a select small circle. And perhaps that's more effective than a request from a "yet to be beheaded" king. (I'm sure that what the council of 30 sees in their Spanish friends) Hopefully they can nudge the right person and get the key keeper so to speak to act and to send George home.

And at least Calvert and Gatling are still together. Perhaps they can be gone until George gets back and can set things to right.

Somehow I think the end of the Odyssey is but a few chapters away and there will be much left to wonder about until the next book in the saga is revealed.  But then that is just my thought and (Lord) Arbour may have a different agenda altogether.  

Somehow I think the end of the Odyssey is but a few chapters away and there will be much left to wonder about until the next book in the saga is revealed.  But then that is just my thought and (Lord) Arbour may have a different agenda altogether.  

I have to disagree. He's made each one free standing. I think he sees that ending incomplete makes the following part of the previous and not an opening to the new.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..