How many of these books do you remember?

Bill W

Just three: Maurice, Leaves of Grass, and Color Purple.

I'd heard of a couple or the children's books because of the controversy surrounding them at the time, but never actually read the books myself. I wonder if they're still controversional today; unfortunately I'm pretty sure what the answer to that question is.

I remember quite a few: The Perk of Being a Wallflower, Running with Scissors (I watched the movie, exceptional biopic), Maurice (Merchant/Ivory production), Howl and Other Poems (never read it, though I did read a partial of it over the Internet, but mostly knew about it because of James Franco's movie...), The Color Purple (via movie).

I still have my copy of "The Perk of Being a Wallflower." Kind of overhyped, but pleasant read (probably because I am too old for the target audience..., I was in my mid-20's when I read it, and it is clearly aimed for high school age kids). I really don't know why it is controversial. The initial issue about coping with suicide sort of wane away as the book goes on (and never mentioned again...). What I am surprised about it is, the guy who is playing the story in the movie version (I didn't know it exists!) is the Ezra Miller! OMG. I just watched "We Need to Talk about Kevin," another disappointing overhyped movie, but he was GREAT in it!!! Great method acting, did his research about the role and delivered. Maybe I am not super crazy about the novel (The Perk...), but I'll look forward to see the movie, because of Ezra Miller. Posted Image

Edited by Ashi

Sadly, I remember the tabloids surrounding them over the content within them, but I am familiar with a few, which is surprising.

Sadly, I remember the tabloids surrounding them over the content within them, but I am familiar with a few, which is surprising.

Even Walt Whitman's story Posted Image (Didn't know they had 100 year old tabloids, or that you were immortal Krista)

Naked Lunch, Running with Scissors, Howl, Leaves of Grass (read it somewhere), and Color Purple

Edited by W_L

I have heard of several of them, Naked Lunch, Maurice, The Color Purple, but I stopped, stunned when i saw Leaves of Grass on the list. I had heard a few controversial statements about Walt Whitman himself, but never knew Leaves of Grass caused such an uproar. He is probably applauding from the grave:)

I read these books that are on the list in my high school English Lit class in my junior year and in AP English 4 in my senior year.

Running with Scissors

Maurice

Leaves of Grass

The Cololr Purple

Naked Lunch

The only one I couldn't get all the way through without forcing myself was Naked Lunch, and we only read some of the poems in Leaves of Grass. The only book described as part of gay literature by the teacher was Maurice.

Colin B)