Ouch. Alan,Ann

I really think both of you are being really hard on Rory's mother. I had to go back to chapter 1 to refresh- but she didn't even know if Eddie would be found. I think she chose not to tell Rory incase Eddie couldn't be found. Granted, Alice has caused a lot of trouble-but I know I have give more chances to my father than he deserved-hasn't everbody made that kind of mistake?

This is not an ordinary mistake. It's fairly fundamental that Rory goes off to Arizona with no idea of who his father is or what his attitude to Rory's sexuality is going to be. There is just not any good excuse for Alice the Incomprehensible failing to give Rory the letter as Gina asked.

It's clear from Rory's last telephone conversation with Alice that Alice did not realise Gina's letter to Rory said that Gina wanted him told about Eddie.

As far as Gina goes, the letter itself tells us why she did not tell Rory and Gina's own opinion of her actions:

I wish that I was brave enough to tell you this in person, and if I find Eddie before I run out of time, I promise I will be, but right now, it doesn
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like grama alice. jeez... some of you guys need to form your own opinions. not derive them from the presepctive of the POV given. its the same thing with seth <_<

Edited by Bao

I love Seth. He is by far the coolest character in this whole comedy-drama. He is the only entirely forthcoming person -- he has told the truth from the beginning, I think, if somewhat bluntly.

I'm fed up with Rory. He has become, to me, merely a backdrop for the development of Seth's character. It was so cool to see Seth in an entirely family situation, and a normal family to boot (except for the eccentricity in middle names). I don't know if Seth is really after Rory for a relationship, or simply trying to be a friend to a guy he sees in trouble. Whatever, I think he would be the best thing for Rory. Luke isn't -- Luke has truth problems along with all the others. He has proven that several times, the latest being with Seth at the patio-laying party. On top of that he can't seem to tell Rory who is "love" is. He's hiding again. Luke and Rory don't belong together.

Eddie is emerging as a hero. As a parent, I completely applaud his efforts at keeping track of Rory. Rory hasn't earned his trust, and Eddie is finally figuring out how to be a parent with a gentle touch. I'm happy to see that.

I still think Aaron is salvageable. And I think Dom has too big of a heart to let Aaron languish.

Dave is hopeless. In fact, Dave's savior with the whole relationship thing may also be Seth.

Have I mentioned that I love Seth?

Journeyman

i dont think thats what rory is hung up over. i think the thing he wants to know is what aaron said to seth.

Yep. It's less than 24 hours since Rory first heard Seth's version and Aaron's own actions confirm what Seth is saying. I guess it can be read as a sign of coming passion, but that's a complicated explanation when we have the really simple explanation that Rory wants to hear what Aaron said. It's also less than 48 hours since Aaron tried to force Rory into sex. Rory's doing a classic trauma thing and trying to lock that reality out of his head.

I have to say that Eddie is supose to be a good father--according to Luke. Luke tells Rory earlier in the story that Eddie has been a good father to him, while Jase has been like a big brother.

It is nice to see Eddie stepping up and setting a few minor limits for Rory.

I, too, have been disappointed by Jase and his lack of compassion for Rory. As a psychiatrist he is both a medical doctor and a psychologist. He doesn't have to be the parent to Rory; but he should understand the depression that Rory is going thru.

Rory is deep into grief/depression. Rory watched as his Mother wasted away and died. Leaving him with Alice--who Rory finds out has known lots of information about his past and withheld it. Also, she withheld his mom's letter and refuses to talk with Rory or let him vent/discuss/process his thoughts.

Granted, Rory shut down after his mom's death--a very normal reaction to the death of a parent. But no adult was really there to assist him thru this grief process. Then, in the midst of this grieving and despair, he is sent to live with his unknown father--at whom he has immense anger. He has this anger because neither his mother nor his grandmother ever told him the truth about his father. Instead they allowed him to continue to think his dad was a deadbeat who abandoned the family.

So, this greiving/depressed boy is sent to live with strangers--without any information as to who they really are or where they have been for the last 16 years. Can't blame Rory for wanting to go back to Alice the Bitch (imo) She represents familiar. In depression, Familiar is extremely comforting. It beats the hell out of "unknown!"

So, rory is forced to go to arizona. He is forced to live with (and pressured to Love) a man he has been raised to mistrust and have immense anger towards. There he is told half truths and lies (for whatever reason) and initally, the only person who treats him with any kind of kindness is Aaron. Sexy, charming, Aaron.

Thus, rory can't quite process the events or understand the motives of people around him. He is angry all the time. Yes, I know he is a teenager and anger is common in this age group; but Rory is too volatile. His emotions are way too extreme--he is passive on life choices yet quick to judge/anger.

This passivity is not surprising; rory is overwhelmed/ in denial/depressed/angry/abandoned/ and amongst strangers. He has no one he feels he can turn too nor does he feel he has anyone who understands what he is going thru--expect a small degree Luke.

But, Luke has sent out mixed messages: Really nice, then running off at the park, then tearing up aaron's number, then saying vicious things to Rory, then saying he wouldn't be interested in Rory; yet pressing his 'prominent buldge' against Rory's ass--yep, lots of mixed messages! I know there are valid reasons for all of the things Luke has done; but that doesn't help Rory and his trust level.

Then there is Seth--the boy who treated Rory so aggressively and was frequently acting angry when ever Rory showed up. Again, there may have been reasons, but that doesn't help Rory nor his trust issues.

Now, Seth is being all sweet and considerate towards Rory. I can't blame Rory for being confused and suspicious.

The one person who appeared to really be interested in Rory turns out to have been using him. Rory was vulnerable and depressed. Then a sexy charming guy shows up and insists on being around and showing Rory a good time. He tells Rory the truth about Rory's household. He presents his own case in a way that asks for Rory's compassion (the ole 'I thought you were different-wouldn't prejudge me', blah, blah, blah.)

I think Rory is doing pretty good for someone in his situation. He is depressed/greiving/and feeling abandoned. I hope he continues to try and open up to others.

And I really wish Jase, with all his training, would step up and try to provide a little help to Rory. Jase knows better!

Enough rambling!

Here's hoping 23 shows up soon!

Peace,

matthew in NYC

While Jase might not be taking a lot of direct action with regard to Rory, he's obviously 'working behind the scenes' via Eddie.

Remember, Rory's not the only one trying to deal 'stuff', Eddie is too. I'm sure every night Jase is helping/guiding/advising Eddie as to what to do and not do. There's been many instances where Jase stepped in to make sure Eddie didn't make a bad situation worse.

And really, what do you all want Jase to do? Make an appointment with Rory and force him to chat with him? As a professional, Jase probably knows that he can't do that or that it might backfire.

Leave the work to the professionals :P

Take Care®,

Vic the Domaholic

Leave it to the professionals?!? LOL

I am a professional...well, I was until I quit 4 years ago to pursue other things. I was a psychologist for 11 years. I specialized in violence--therapy with murderers, rapists, batterers, molesters, etc. I also spent eight years working with the severely mentally ill and homeless.

I know of what I speak, lol, that is why I get so frustrate with Jase. He represents my old profession and I want him to be superman.

As to Rory and his resistance--it happens with everyone. Working with perps, exposed me to some very angry/volatile people. There are ways to help without billy-clubbing someone over the head. That is why we spend years studying and practicing--to help without doing harm (hopefully!) You do not need to approach someone head on when there is conflict and defenses running amuck. There are ways of being supportive and encouraging and getting around the anger and rage.

anyway, now you know why I am so hard on poor ole Jase. He should know better (at least in my world!)

LOL.

Peace,

Matthew in NYC

Professional child psychologists don't come to the children, the children are brought to them by their parents. It seems to me that Jase is doing everything within his power to help Rory and Eddie without crossing the line into being unprofessional.

Crap,

RK

lol i wanted to ask isant there a clause or law that prevents doctor type people to treat family members. but then i realized jase and rory arent really family. lol

and woah. its only been a day?

Leave it to the professionals?!? LOL

I am a professional...

:blink::blink:

*Vic runs off with his tail between his legs *

OK, theory number 2 :P . Rory can't afford Jase's hourly rate! Jase isn't giving it away!

hehe, Thanks Matthew!

Take Care®,

Vic

I still think Aaron is salvageable. And I think Dom has too big of a heart to let Aaron languish.

Journeyman

Maybe Jase is the only one in the story who can help Aaron. It doesn't sound like his parents would fund that, and Jase would probably lose Eddie if he found out about it.

Maybe Aaron's whole family could get group rates with someone Jase recommends. But I don't see even that happening.

And really, what do you all want Jase to do? Make an appointment with Rory and force him to chat with him? As a professional, Jase probably knows that he can't do that or that it might backfire.

Wouldn't Jase know that it would be considered unethical for him to treat someone in his own household? Rory is his stepson, more or less.

Perhaps he should have suggested a referral, though.

Maybe he has, and he left the follow-through up to Eddie's judgment.

Someone clued Eddie in on the fact that enforced idleness and loneliness during the day is not the best thing for a depressed kid.

Just because Jase is a doctor doesn’t mean he’s Rory’s doctor. When he was talking to Rory, Jase told Rory that “Jase” was trying to figure out where “Jase” was supposed to fit in. Rory is Eddie’s son. Jase doesn’t want to get in the way of that, and it his not his responsibility to step up and fix everything that’s wrong with Rory’s life. ...

The only ‘professional’ at this point is Dom, who’s making everyone nutty with this story. I can’t even ask for an update, either! It’s only been a day! :thumbdown:

I don't think that Jase staying in the background to the point that Rory thought that Jase wanted him to leave was the right way for him to behave either. You're right, Jase is not Rory's doctor. But up to this point he hasn't been much of anything except Eddy's not very visable partner.

Jase is not Rory's Doctor however, to act in a compassionate manner is not engaging in professional therapy. If Rory stepped on a rust nail and the wound got infected, I would expect jase to step forward to provide some basic medical treatment--even though he is not rory's father nor is he Rory's treating physician. In the case of the infected foot, Jase has the knowledge to help rory and he would be negligent if he refused to help. In fact I think most everyone would think Jase was a asshole if he saw Rory in pain and just walked away saying: "he isn't my kid nor is he my patient. Let Eddie deal with this."

It is a similar thing with what is happening in the story. Rory is depressed and grieving--this is Jase's area of knowledge. What would have happened if Eddie had not helped Luke with his legal stuff? What if Eddie had just stayed in the background and given Jase advice on what to do? Would those that feel that Jase is doing a good job with Rory feel that Eddie had served Luke equally well?

I'm not saying Jase should have an hour session with rory and be taking notes. I am saying, jase should be more present in Rory's life. He should understand that Rory is depressed and grieving. He should have known that idle time for someone with depression is the worst thing possible. Leaving a teenage boy who is depressed and grieving alone in a new house for hours and hours is really negligent--nothing like giving the depressed mind time to obsess and get even more depressed!

All I am saying is with Jase being a psychiatrist, he should have a hell of a lot more insight into what is going on with Rory and be more present/more supportive rather than a shadowing character in the background.

And even though, Eddie is Rory's biological father, Eddie and Jase are supposed to be like a married couple--both would be raising Rory if he were to stay.

That being said, Dom is God for this world of Rory, et al. As God, he will create this world as he sees fit. He will have the characters do whatever it is he will have them do. So, all of this is just rhetoric and rambling until the next chapter.

Peace,

Matthew in NYC

ps: vic you made me laugh!ty

Mathew,

Bingo---we have a winner! At least in my book! Jase has the Knowledge but the compasion seems to be a little low. The only time jase has reached out was when he told Rory what was going on with him and Eddie.

Rory is his stepson, more or less.

Glomph, you bring up a very good point. What can we call the relationship between Rory and Jase? It's not exactly stepdad, and it clearly isn't uncle, so what? Perhaps we should make one up, like "Gayalmostdad", "Kindadadkindanot", or even "Mom".

Just a thought.

I agree with Matthew, It is Jases line of work. Now no he shouldent (like Matthew said) sit Rory down and take notes. But advise was never considered therapy, and I see Rory as needing that. We already know that Rory doese not feel comfterble talking to Eddie, and Luke is only going to give his opinion. Jase on the other hand has probably seen people in Rorys place, and he has the knowledge to help. I really dont think that Eddie would have a problem with Jase helping his son out. And if you think about it, If Jase would help Rory in a way were hes not really counsling ( just listening and giving advise) maybe Rory would cope better with things, Thus leading to Eddie and him getting along better, talk and understand each other more. Just imo.

Tiffany

OTRFK