[*]Eddy is overreacting and starting out to be the control freak parent.

Sorry, I'm going to rant just a bit. I get irritated when the parent(s) get picked on for being a parent.

There is nothing scarier to a parent then not knowing where your child is (wether that child is six or sixteen). I don't think Eddie was overreacting. Dom got the parental panic perfectly (try saying that ten times quickly). They've had this discussion before. It's about time Rory remembers he has to answer to someone, even if its just to inform them of his whereabouts.

I always know where my kids are. It's not a control freak thing, it's a safety thing. Dom's very good at realistically inserting parental phobias into the plot line.

Sharon

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to say a few thoughts that have been going through my mind. I'd like everyone to remember that Seth is not perfect. He's not some God-like creature that's knowingly doing everything right when it comes to developing a relationship with Rory. Remember how poorly he treated Rory when they had their first encounter? Did Seth have a reason to be mad? Sure -- Aaron makes people do things that they don't want to and makes them feel horrible about it. Do we now realize that Seth wasn't trying to be an asshole? Sure -- but that doesn't change the fact that he was. He's flawed; Rory's flawed. I'm not trying to undermine the possibilty of a blossoming relationship between Rory and Seth -- I'm actually trying to add to it, realistically. I think it bears repeating: Seth is not perfect.

Now, is Luke perfect? Does he deserve better than Rory? I don't know, c'mon. Who knows? Does Quinn deserve Jude? I sure as hell didn't think so, but that's not the point. Everyone remembers Rory and Luke's initial little fight about Aaron's phone number, right? Did Luke have a right to be upset? Sure -- but the way he treated Rory (remember in the basement with Dave? God, thinking about how horrible Rory must have felt almost brings tears to my eyes) and didn't even explain anything to him was completely uncalled for. Newsflash: Luke is not perfect.

Quinn wasn't great, but I seriously think we are dealing with the worst narrator we've ever encountered in a Dom Luka story. Rory is a terrible judge of character, and he's not opened up to anyone. Through his eyes we're seeing half of the story, no where near 20/20. He's gotten significantly better, but we're STILL LEFT with images and connotations that RORY MADE at the beginning of the story. And that's not even the bad part -- some of us are immediately throwing out those images and connotations because we're realizing that Rory is a bad judge of character. That's not good, either. Reminder: Rory is not perfect, but he's not perpetually blind.

Edited by carmichael

oo well said Carmichael /applaud

to be honest, i had forgotten the Rory/Luke fight at the begining. and thats sad, because i went back and re-read the whole thing before 21 was posted, and forgot it between 21/22. but the image of Luke squattin down to Rory's window nekkid, is just delicious :2thumbs:

oo well said Carmichael /applaud

to be honest, i had forgotten the Rory/Luke fight at the begining. and thats sad, because i went back and re-read the whole thing before 21 was posted, and forgot it between 21/22. but the image of Luke squattin down to Rory's window nekkid, is just delicious :2thumbs:

Oh. My. God. Yes, I know. Luke's wild to think about. Especially nekkid.

Dom's never written a threesome (well, does Service 2 count? haha -- I don't even know if Dom wrote that chapter), but there's a first for everything. (A Rory/Seth/Luke encounter might just send me over the stop).

There is nothing scarier to a parent then not knowing where your child is (wether that child is six or sixteen).

Sharon

I agree, hell my dad walks off with my son without asking and I freak, So I say Eddie is handling it pretty well.

I do agree with what someone said prior, that Rory will understand more and all duetoseeing Seths family. I think he will.

I think that you all have great perspectives on the story, and that you guys change my views on the story alot.

Dom this is a great story, I have been reading these stories since my mom :blink: told me about them. Keep up the good work.

ok, i re-read DD22 now that im fully awake and not hyphed up on Tylenol PMs, SO...i like Seth, but i like Luke more and think he'd be better for Rory, but its Dom story and im sure i'll love which ever way he decides to go with this..BUT why the hell does Dom have to make me cry :( Rory is so pitiful when it comes to his mom, i know if she didnt die we wouldnt have a story, but DAMN, that end scene had me sobbin when he was feelin guilty and stuff :,( anyway WAY TO GO DOM :worship:

Could this whole weird thing about Mrs. Fisher reminding Rory so much about his own mom mean that *perhaps* she is Rory's long-lost aunt that even Eddie doesn't know about? Grandma Alice sure hasn't been forthcoming about a lot of stuff, so you never know ... perhaps Rory and Seth are cousins ... a long shot, I know, but sometimes my instincts are pretty good ...

Well, I think that this chapter more than any of the previous ones had me wanting to smack some sense into Rory. I don't know why but he seems so much more unsure of himself in this chapter. Yes, I know he is developing emotionally (a little), but I don't know... he also seems to be reverting backwards a bit. Who knows maybe he is returning to the Rory we have not had the chance to see because it was how he was with his mama. Granted things have changed and stayed the same for Rory. Maybe he is realizing that. Then again I could be wrong. Only Dom knows.

Lugh (who is blue) (PSO, not a statement of my emotional being, thank you for the hot fudge sundays though)

Could this whole weird thing about Mrs. Fisher reminding Rory so much about his own mom mean that *perhaps* she is Rory's long-lost aunt that even Eddie doesn't know about? Grandma Alice sure hasn't been forthcoming about a lot of stuff, so you never know ... perhaps Rory and Seth are cousins ... a long shot, I know, but sometimes my instincts are pretty good ...

*grasps at straws* :P

i was thinking he saw a resemblance in her demeanor/behavior, having not seen a good mommy at work since...oh...his own died. you remember he's been almost exclusively around guys since then, right? *poke*

-rory is flawed

-luke is on a pedestal

-seth is being scary nice

-eddie is starting to grow some balls

i have to admit, seth is losing some of his rat status with me, but then again dom has actually focused on developing this character in ch22. we know more about him and so better judgements can be made.

and i'm inclined to agree that rory won't end up with anyone at the end of this story. he just doesn't fit with anyone very well. he doesn't have that spark that dom's other couples have had in previous stories. it feels like rory's just coasting thru life and trying his hardest to never have to think for himself. which annoys me, but hey...to each his own.

anyway, rory just plain does not seem to be developing (character-wise) intimately with anyone at all. honestly, i wonder whether rory's really gay, or if he just thinks he is. i don't quite know how to explain what i mean by that, but it's there, in the back of my mind.

eddie's freaking out about something petty, trying to make up for lost time. but then again, he has every right to do such a thing...he is rory's dad and he worries about rory and rory treats him like crap a lot of the time..not to mention eddie has held back on a lot of things that rory's done or said...sometimes you just have to blow up and deal with the consequences later.

and luke....glorious, i-wish-he-was-real, luke. *sigh* to me, he seems to be getting more calculating..manipulative, but hiding it very well under a sweet exterior. for example, his whole thing with seth when they were building that deck...that was just plain wrong of him to do. even tho seth saw right thru his little act, we didn't know that until later. i know if i was seth, i wouldn't want anyone leading me on like that, especially if he was doing it just to break me up with my supposed "girlfriend" just so luke's best friend could get with her. very wrong.

"What?" Seth half-laughed. "You don
and i'm inclined to agree that rory won't end up with anyone at the end of this story. he just doesn't fit with anyone very well. he doesn't have that spark that dom's other couples have had in previous stories. it feels like rory's just coasting thru life and trying his hardest to never have to think for himself. which annoys me, but hey...to each his own.

anyway, rory just plain does not seem to be developing (character-wise) intimately with anyone at all. honestly, i wonder whether rory's really gay, or if he just thinks he is. i don't quite know how to explain what i mean by that, but it's there, in the back of my mind.

I sort of agree. Wandering the countryside agreeing to Monopoly games, car repairs, trips to the mall. etc etc without really wanting to or even understanding what he's agreeing to is not a good look. It was bad when Rory put himself in Aaron's hands without thinking. Someone needs to tell Rory he matters. Careful reading of Rory's reactions to Luke's mixed messages almost feels like Rory 'knows' Luke is not interested because Rory 'knows' someone like Luke could not be interested in him.

I'm beginning to wonder if Gina was actually such a great mother. Rory thinks she was, but the son she's brought up is really a fairly damaged kid. All that damage cannot have happened during Rory's brief time with Alice the Incomprehensible.

eddie's freaking out about something petty, trying to make up for lost time. but then again, he has every right to do such a thing...he is rory's dad and he worries about rory and rory treats him like crap a lot of the time..not to mention eddie has held back on a lot of things that rory's done or said...sometimes you just have to blow up and deal with the consequences later.

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. Rory's been seeing Aaron in secret because he knew Eddie would disapprove. Apart from putting himself in danger, Rory's relationship with Aaron led directly to getting Luke in a situation where they could have officers at the door. Rory says he's going for a walk and disappears without warning for four and a half hours. That's not petty and if anything Eddie under-reacts.

and luke....glorious, i-wish-he-was-real, luke. *sigh* to me, he seems to be getting more calculating..manipulative, but hiding it very well under a sweet exterior. for example, his whole thing with seth when they were building that deck...that was just plain wrong of him to do. even tho seth saw right thru his little act, we didn't know that until later. i know if i was seth, i wouldn't want anyone leading me on like that, especially if he was doing it just to break me up with my supposed "girlfriend" just so luke's best friend could get with her. very wrong.

i don't think luke and his friends are really thinking about the things they do...they feel like what they're doing is right, but they could be wrong and they just don't think of how things effect other people. sometimes the whole "mob mentality" thing isn't good...it's great to have friends, but don't become sheep.

The thing with Seth is really minor and does not begin to compare with Aaron's efforts. If Seth was as Rory described him, it would have been justified. Their attitude to Aaron is entirely and completely justified by bitter experience. Otherwise, they don't seem to have a problem with anyone.

I'm beginning to wonder if Gina was actually such a great mother. Rory thinks she was, but the son she's brought up is really a fairly damaged kid. All that damage cannot have happened during Rory's brief time with Alice the Incomprehensible.

Remember that Gina had cancer and was sick for a long time. Two or three years means a lot during that part of a kids life.

Remember that Gina had cancer and was sick for a long time. Two or three years means a lot during that part of a kids life.

That's true, but I'm considering issues like the somewhat casual arrangements for Rory's custody. I think everyone is agreed that Alice the Incomprehensible should have told Rory about Eddie, as Gina directed. On the other hand, Rory and Eddie are evidently not the the only people Alice is accustomed to shutting down unless they agree with her, so at the very least Gina knew Alice to be a loose cannon. We actually know that from the text of Gina's letter to Rory where she says:

Now for the hard part. If you
p.s. OTRFK....the best yaoi manga out of every single one i've ever read!! eerie queerie comes in at a close second, tho....very close.... :2thumbs:

It is my favorate one too. but I still go too buy evey new one that somes out. Ive read Erie Queerie too.

I think someone needs to just take charge with Rory ... he obviously has problems reading people and situations and his ability for self-evaluation/reflection is certainly subpar. I think it's good that Eddie is starting to lay down the law a bit, but I think it would be even more beneficial to his growth if others would sit him down and give him a good talking-to as well ... I don't see Seth as being the person to do this, his way of dealing with Rory is different (although seemingly successful to a degree). Ideally, I'd like to see Luke just sit Rory down and have a long, serious chat with him about EVERYTHING, no-holds barred, including how he feels about Rory, and when Rory starts to clam up and not want to face it, Luke needs to make him ... not let him runaway, not let there be any interruptions, and just lay it all out there. The reason I think Luke would be the best person, at least for Rory, is that he is the only person I can see who Rory *really* trusts. He still has issues with Eddie, doesn't feel like he knows Jase, still thinks Seth is rather dubious, and from people he hardly knows like Dave, Angela, or whoever, he's not going to really listen. I think he would definitely listen to Luke, because there is trust and comfort there (Rory has admitted to himself before how Luke makes him feel safe).

Will Luke do this? I don't know, because he's not totally perfect either. He's also still just a kid, and he doesn't want to get hurt either ... so despite his apparent affection for Rory, I'm sure he's scared of admitting his feelings to him and getting rejected, or letting himself fall for Rory even more while thinking that he's going to be leaving in a month anyway (even though he won't), or whatever. As for confronting him about his attitude and other issues, I'm sure Luke is scared of pissing off or pushing Rory away. So Luke has his share of issues as well. The problem with this, however, is that if someone doesn't do it in the next month (Luke), then Rory isn't going to feel like there is a reason to stick around, and they'll all miss out. So basically, Luke has to grow some proverbial balls as well.

As to Rory's "like-ability," yes he has problems (don't we all?!?!), but it doesn't make me like him any less. Next to Luke, I would love to have Rory as a boyfriend. I think he has the capacity to be a sweet and caring (albeit a bit dense and self-absorbed) person and a good boyfriend, but he needs to work through his issues. But you can't forget that he has been through A LOT in a very, very short period of time ... considering the circumstances (mother dies of cancer as her teenage son watches her wilt away slowly in front of his eyes, he finds out suddenly that he has a long-lost father who turns out to be gay, he jumps into his first ever gay "relationship"with someone like Aaron) ... Rory's been through a lot of sh*t, I'm definitely for giving him a break.

I actually called them 'somewhat casual', not 'casual'. Eddie indeed received a letter, but only by the same less than adequate route (Alice the Incomprehensible) as Rory. We know from Gina's own letter she did not know if Alice would pass on the letters when asked to. The letters were important enough to make certain they were delivered. Indeed, the information about Eddie was important enough for Gina to tell Rory before her death.

Ah. Agreed. She should have told Rory about Eddie. I guess I keep hoping that there's a reason why she didn't.

Ouch. Alan,Ann

I really think both of you are being really hard on Rory's mother. I had to go back to chapter 1 to refresh- but she didn't even know if Eddie would be found. I think she chose not to tell Rory incase Eddie couldn't be found. Granted, Alice has caused a lot of trouble-but I know I have give more chances to my father than he deserved-hasn't everbody made that kind of mistake?

Now, what I'm wondering about is, Jase is a shrink isn't he? why isn't he playing a more active roll with Rory,tying to help him deal with the situation a little better?

Edited by lostone

Okay. So, I was re-reading the last few chapters, and I got to the part where Rory grabbed Aaron's you-know-whats, and then one of my friends showed me this commerical. I know it really doesn't have anything to do with the story at all, and thus, wildly off topic, but it was the funniest thing I've seen in a very long time. And I wanted to share it with you while we all wait for the next chapter.

http://gorillamask.net/injuredbad.shtml

Really -- click on it. It's g-rated, I promise. Don't blame me though when your face hurts from laughing so hard.

Edited by carmichael
Shrinks can't cure dense. :(

Density is a function of mass over volume. Jase a psychologist, not a brain surgeon :lmao:

Lol anyway Jase has told Rory why he didn't want to interfere with his and Eddies dealings back when he took Rory to the mall. He said that he wanted for Eddie to be the one who tells Rory this or that important of information regarding whatever. If Jase started to take over Eddies responsibilities as a parent then he would be simply stepping all over his toes and create an even bigger mess than what they have on their hands already. The best thing Jase can do is advise Eddie on what do to when this or that happens, effectively playing said active role, but indirectly. Jase and Eddie have already had one major fight since Rory's arrival, involving Jase being angry with Eddie for being, in no uncertain terms, a pussy where his previously illegitimate son was concerned. There's no need for there to be another fight between the two where Eddie is angry with Jase for stealing his right as a parent. The unfortunate thing is, as has been pointed out, Eddie has only recently been excercising that right. It appears that Jase and Luke are the only level headed persons under that roof, and rightfully so. It's just that they do not have much of a right to the reins, so to speak, of the awkward father/son relationship that is sitting in front of them now.

Now, Eddie is not entirely to blame for his bumbling. Up until two months ago he was a gay man. He was a gay mans partner, and he was a lawyer. Now he has to add father of a 16 year old boy to the list. Also consider that Eddie himself is young. He had sex with Gina t the age of 16, making him approximately 32 now. Not many men who are 32 years old have a 16 year old charge under their roof who they must call "son", much less those who only just discovered such phenomenon. (and Rory is indeed a phenomenon) I am surprised that Eddie has made it thusfar with the almost constant poor attitude that Rory has been laying on him since day one, and only now is he relenting and letting Eddie be a parent, by not argueing over his being gone for several hours. I get the feeling that somewhere along the line Jase may have taken some initiative and has counselled Eddie in the basics of parenting, which led to the incident in his Suburban involving punishment, strict instruction, and orders to go with him to work on Monday.

You might now be asking yourselfs, "What the hell is this fool talking about??" Well this fool is typing this at 4 in the morning and clearly has nothing better to do. He also will sometimes start on a topic and then suddenly (randomly), something will come to mind that relates to the topic, but really either has no place in the discussion at hand or was possibly covered already, and he wants to get his $0.02 in. I don't know why........ leave me alone......

Until next time!

Crap,

RK

"Density is a function of mass over volume. Jase a psychologist, not a brain surgeon :lmao:

Lol anyway Jase has told Rory why he didn't want to interfere with his and Eddies dealings back when he took Rory to the mall. He said that he wanted for Eddie to be the one who tells Rory this or that important of information regarding whatever. "

While Jase did tell that to Rory, as a psychologist Jase seems to really be missing the boat with Rory. Other than pulling out stickers from his foot, asking him if he wanted to go to the mall with him, and then the "sex" talk, Jase has not had any real interaction with Rory. A psychologist should realize what the emotional ramifications are on a child losing the only parent they ever knew, being forced to leave their surroundings/home, (the only one they ever had) to travel to a new location/home, and new people (at the time a permanent move) and a "new" parent they never knew existed. He should remember what it was like for Luke when he lost his mother. Luke already knew Jase, didn't leave the area he grew up in or his friends, and per Luke, it took him a long time and a lot of trouble before he got over it, and then only was able to deal because of Jase and Eddie. If I remember Luke was talking to Rory at the pool and claims Jase was like a big brother and Eddie was the dad. So where is Jase now with Rory? Jase doesn't have to play parent, he could play "therapist" or "Big Brother" again. His comment to Rory about "where he (Rory) fits in" is added stress to the poor kid. He doesn't know. Before this summer Rory knew where he fit in, he was son and grandson and friend. Then his world is shattered and turned upside down and he is in a new place and a new situation and he's supposed to, on his own, find out how he will fit in. No real guidance from any adult figure. EVERYONE at his new home lied and kept secrets from him when he got there (I guess if you want to say Rory did the same, then at least he found how he fits in and Jase should be proud). Jase doesn't have to play the dad role, but if he can't pick up on the hurt and confusion Rory is in it make me wonder how effective of a pyschologist he really is.

Perhaps Jase realizes that Rory probably wouldn't listen to him anyway ... I don't think he would. Like I said before, the only person that I think Rory really trusts is Luke, so Luke is probably the only one that could get through to him. Perhaps Luke should try talking to Jase first as to how to approach Rory or what he should say to him, or how to deal with his clamming up or whatever, but I think Luke is one of the few people that could get through to Rory because he trusts him and makes him feel safe. Rory may not realize that Luke has more than a friendly attraction to him, but he does know that they are very good friends and he believes that Luke cares for him (and doesn't just pity him or something) ... I think Rory knows where he fits in with Luke, just not with everyone else.

But then again, this is all pretty silly anyway, because it's just a story, not real life, and we can speculate all we want, but in the end, Dom is going to write what he's going to write, he has a message he wants to get across, and he most likely already knows how all of this is going to turn out in the end. I'm sure it'll be interesting and worth the wait. Too bad we can't all fund his writing hobby so he can spend all day writing for us and not have to work on top of that! :D