What was/is your favourite Board Game

• Site Administrator

I had a really fun game of Talisman with the boys on the weekend. I won, but it was touch and go - I was on one life by the time I got to the Crown of Command to beat up my youngest son. Then it took maybe 30 minutes to wipe out my other son who was playing an Evil Prophetess with a Rune Sword... really painful.

I also enjoy playing Rail Baron, but it's difficult to get enough players to make it fun. I find it much more fun than Monopoly, because the games don't go as long. You don't have to wipe out everyone else to win, because the victory condition is reaching a particular monetary target, and then making it back to your home city without anyone jumping you.

Back in University days, I used to play Risk, but by mutual agreement we stopped playing. One of the guys I played with was so good that I found that ONLY way I had a chance of winning was to take him out at the start of the game. If he got established, he'd win.... Since I would pick on him as soon as the game started, it stopped being fun for him, and also ruined it for everyone else.

Edited by Graeme

I played Checkers for years in school. I still do from time to time on my computer, but it isn't as fun as playing with someone. In college, I played mostly Card games but that was only during the first year.

Cheers

Ieshwar

Back in University days, I used to play Risk, but by mutual agreement we stopped playing. One of the guys I played with was so good that I found that ONLY way I had a chance of winning was to take him out at the start of the game. If he got established, he'd win.... Since I would pick on him as soon as the game started, it stopped being fun for him, and also ruined it for everyone else.

Another sound strategy is to just keep all your units on madagascar or something and then go out on a victory spree later in the game. 

• 3 years later...

I love board games! One of my personal favourites is Monopoly because I cheat like hell. I consider it to be part of the game, to cheat without being caught.

I have to say, though, I prefer card games. Magic the Gathering is my favourite.