Looks like Reds fans will be disappointed again this year.. Bleh.. they are back sliding to the low end of the NL Central.. if the other teams weren't completely atrocious, we'd be in real trouble as of late...

Krista, I like the Braves winning, but I'm sorry Cinn was on the receiving end in this laut series. 

I know.. :( last part of June and all of July has made it difficult to be a reds fan.. and 2x worse to be married to one... I just hope Aaron doesn't have some weird ritual that involves him stopping the sex until they start winning again... lol. (He is that die hard so I wouldn't put it past him) 

Oh.. and at least I do like the Braves - until they beat the Reds.. :P

Edited by Krista
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first time watching that video I was paying attention to the butt action and never noticed that Philips made the tag.  Really an excellent play.

Poor Villar, not only did he get "butted", but was tagged out as well.  Thanks for this one, Mike!  :great:

Jay Leno featured it last night on the Tonight show posing the question of base runners sliding in headfirst or feet first and then played the video.  The best part was not only did the defender make the tag, BUT held onto the ball.

Looked at the MLB standings and those pesky Bucs and Reds are still nipping at out heels.  On the bright side it looks like 3 teams from the NL Central will be playing after the end of the regular season.  

Definiely agree that these 3 teams will be in the playoffs.  It's been pretty much this way since the All Star break.  One of the highlights of this season.  I don't have a favourite here, but if I were a betting man, I'd have to go with the Cardinals based on their playoff experience.

Over in the AL, the "race" is for the 2 wildcard spots.  Tampa Bay and Texas have them right now but there are 4 teams who are doing the "nipping".  Cleveland is a half-game back, Baltimore is 2 games off the pace, Kanas City is 3 and the Yankees are 3.5 back.

Braves have done well this season and have sewed up the NL East for sometime already!   After the Dodgers horrible start, they did well to win the west.   The Giants after winning it all last year were mediocre at best this year. 

The New York Times Sunday Review has an interesting opinion piece on baseball titled Is the Game Over.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL is doing just fine. Unlike the N.F.L. and the N.B.A., it has been free of labor strife for nearly 20 years. It has more exciting young stars than I can ever remember. It has even achieved that elusive “competitive balance,” with seven different champions over the last decade. Teams across the country are playing in brand-new ballparks that they somehow persuaded local governments to help pay for. Over the last 20 years, baseball profits have grown from roughly $1 billion to nearly $8 billion.

The game, in other words, has never been healthier. So why does it feel so irrelevant?

"The game, in other words, has never been healthier. So why does it feel so irrelevant?"

The above question tries to be interesting, but itself is irrelevant because who cares how this pseudo-intellectual New York newspaperman feels?   Healthy franchises see 3 million fans and more come out during the season and pay big bucks.  Cable TV and radio packages bring in billions more in revenue and while baseball does not have the crushing impact of an NFL hit, nor the fast pace of basketball or hockey, it is a game of nuance that still appeals to a significant group of Americans. So my reply is piss on your own shoes.   How many readers actually buy the NYT say as compared to 10 years ago and does that columnist  really want to compare the trend of newspaper revenues with baseball revenue?  

• Like 3

Well said! :) I have NEVER been able to watch Professional Football and Basketball, actually I dislike them both a lot. But Major League Baseball, I will watch, and I do enjoy. :P

But heh, even though the Reds have imploded and can't get a damn ball out of the infield, unless it is an outfield pop-up, I might stop watching that too. Hmph. Might save Aaron and I a lot of money in the swear jar. :D

Edited by Krista

Well the Reds did manage a couple of homers on Tuesday night but it wasn't enough.  My condolences, but as a Cards fan I can't be too disappointed.....or too happy.  After all, now we have to face those pesky Bucs. 

The ESPN poll of who would win the Cards vs Pirates series done after the Pirates Cincinnati game Tuesday favored the Pirates 58% to 42% for the Cards.

After today's game,  the ESPN poll as to who would win and in how many games, gave the Cards the edge 64% to 36%  with the majority saying the Cards in 4 games.

Amazing what a blowout win does to change perceptions as the Cards won 9-1 in game 1. 

Hmm.. I'm very conflicted about the outcome of the Pirates and the Cardinals... the way the Pirates fans are acting, it makes me sick.. lol. But as a Reds fan, I just cannot like the Cardinals. Very sad that the Reds his a really low spot at the end of the season. The Manager was axed too and they're thinking about trading one of their best players as well. I hope they don't completely implode on themselves, they were just starting to get good again.

As long as the National League wins it, I guess I don't care who. :P 

• Like 1