I could have sworn I was reading my own rant! I agree with every single point you made, Brink, and definitely couldn't have said it better. Like you, I don't have anything I'm necessarily looking at or doing on the web that's embarrasing or oh-so-private. But I have a big libertarian streak in me. Even though it's pretty tame, it's still no one else's business unless I decide to make it so. Thanks for a cool rant!

• Like 1

I've known all my life that privacy was an illusion, and so far, I've been able to live with that. I've learned to tune out ads, once I know their placement on the page. I've even learned to look for the added browser and default search engine agreement to opt out of. Most of the time. But it's getting tougher, and the clear space on the window has shrunken. I can foresee a tipping point, at which time, my digital life may come to an untimely end, cable will be cut, cell phone silenced.

I'm going camping next weekend.

• Like 3

Great rant, Brink!  I really like it.  I really do.  Alas, the interenet world is such that when I tried to "Like This", I get the message "There was a problem storing your reputation vote."  It seems the internet attaches your name to some things you don't want it to, but sometimes defeats your best efforts to leave your mark.

I kicked Facebook out of my life years ago because of its invasive nature.  Now it seems Google has become Facebook on steroids.

Edit to add:  There seems to be delayed action at work; I check back three hours later and my Like This" has been recorded.

Edited by MikeL

The illusion of privacy is fast fading on-line and everywhere else in our society.  Being tracked, means you are being analyzed and pigeon-holed.  All so that someone can try to make another buck off you.  It is rather depressing.  I don't do facebook, twitter, and the rest of the social media.  GA is one of my few on-line habits.  

• Like 1

way before the commonality of the internet, we we're still having our images recorded some 30 times a day and if you bought a cell phone even 15 years ago you could be triangulated to within 100 metres. We've not been alone in a long time. the trick is to lie, lie well and lie consistently until the internet believes you are someone else.

I believe that would be illegal in some jurisdictions.

Almost certainly, including in some in which i have to my certain knowledge lied and broken the law. fortunately, because of these same lies, i cannot be found.

way before the commonality of the internet, we we're still having our images recorded some 30 times a day and if you bought a cell phone even 15 years ago you could be triangulated to within 100 metres. We've not been alone in a long time. the trick is to lie, lie well and lie consistently until the internet believes you are someone else.

Or to truly be yourself, and the devil take the consequences.

I'll miss being connected, almost as much as I miss being free.

I loved google but over the time i realised that google doesnot give you what you want,it gives you what it think you want.It keeps a profile of you.I was missing a lot of the net because of this damn filter bubble.I use privatelee now,sometimes duckduckgo too.The biggest advantage of privatelee is it supports other languages by default.And if you still want to use google without any tracking use startpage.The only drawback is google image search plug in,which is the mopst awesome feature feature of google image search,that i cant found any substitute yet.Anyone knows about any good service? tell me.

• Like 2