something that... well frankly i don't beleave

Celethiel

no it was Magellon who sailed around the world...proving it round although didn't Drake do it too? All Columbus did was claim land for spain that no one... Christian owned... He didn't find the New World, in fact there are some who beleave he just took older tales and went further south...... So... technically he just foundout it didn't end where mainstreem (vikings were NOT Mainstream) Europe thought it did...

As for Presidents, I can't actually say i am that surprised now... since I talked to a ladyfriend of mine and she didn't remember the first 4 either... started saying things like Roosevelt.. (she's 50 years old)...

I remember the first 4 after that it begins to get iffy... and after Jackson... i don't really remember any of them up to Lincoln, then it's Lincon, Johnson (number 1), Grant... then no memory again...Taft maybe... lol.

I'll give someone who can name all the presidents that were in office in or after world war 2 a magical imaginary 20 dollars (if they do it without looking too :P )

I'll try, but keep in mind I can't put them in chronological order (but I am trying my best), and I didn't google them.  :P

Franklin D Roosevelt, Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John F Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, Ford, Ronald Ragen, George H Bush, Bill Clinton, George W Bush, Obama.

• Like 1

I'll try, but keep in mind I can't put them in chronological order (but I am trying my best), and I didn't google them.  :P

Franklin D Roosevelt, Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John F Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, Ford, Ronald Ragen, George H Bush, Bill Clinton, George W Bush, Obama.

Pretty good, if you didnt reverse carter and ford you would have had them in perfect order. Though cel challenge is only to name them all.

no it was Magellon who sailed around the world...proving it round although didn't Drake do it too? 

But then again, the Ancient Greeks proved the Earth was round using Mathematics over 2000 years ago... 

But then again, the Ancient Greeks proved the Earth was round using Mathematics over 2000 years ago... 

how are calculations no matter how accurate proof...

It's still considered a theory until it's proven physically...

how are calculations no matter how accurate proof...

It's still considered a theory until it's proven physically...

Pythagoras would agree with you :P

It took two thousand years until his Theorem could be proven, but most people accepted it as fact. Without the theorem, land surveyors, architect, and artillery commanders would not be able to do their jobs, it is one of the few geometry lessons that people do use in life :o

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

technically the weight of the earth, distance to the sun, other planets etc... all still "theory" along with weather or not the earth has a core, how magnetism and gravity work.... 

Mathematical proof is often more accurate than any measurements we can make physically. Which is why mathematics are at the core of all science. If we discount mathematical proof, we'll quickly find that the things we know about our world are few and far between.

I couldn't even tell you the first 2 cancellors of my country, let alone the first four of the US...

I think that kind of knowledge is pretty pointless. History really is about coherences, about the why and how much more than about the (exact) when and who. We can learn a lot from history, but not from the names and dates alone. Any computer can answer that kind of question better and quicker than a human...

But not knowing "which country was fought in the cold war"? (the question is kind of put stupid though) Okay, seriously: I can't even believe that one... Is it because I've lived all my life right at the former east/west German border and regularly travel between the former DDR and BRD? Maybe that's the reason, but that question feels like a 99,9% should answer it correctly... I don't know... 27% just sounds like... wrong... and what the hell has a difficult political system to do with not knowing basic things like about the declaration of independence and the soviet union...

The name of the chief guy from some court? Who the hell cares? ^^

I think Otto von Bismark was the first Chancellor of a united Germany after Prussia bullied Bravaria into joining.  I don't know who came after him.  Whoever it was he wasn't a big poltical player.  King Wilhelm pretty much stripped the post of most of its powers after he kicked Bismark out and took away all the power parliment once had.

I think Otto von Bismark was the first Chancellor of a united Germany after Prussia bullied Bravaria into joining.  I don't know who came after him.  Whoever it was he wasn't a big poltical player.  King Wilhelm pretty much stripped the post of most of its powers after he kicked Bismark out and took away all the power parliment once had.

That's actually difficult to say, lol I thought of post WW II, because before that it was a completely different system and if you'd ask for the first Chancellor here, I think everyone would think of Adenauer...^^

Actually it was demonstrated by observation - the maths just gave the dimensions

Pythagoras would agree with you :P

It took two thousand years until his Theorem could be proven,

Pythagoras's Theorem was proved... by Pythagoras :P And by many others. In many different ways :)

• Like 1

It's probably Fermat's Last Theorem that W_L was thinking of. But it's also good to remember that the Pythagorean Theorem proof depends on the axioms you start with. In some non-Euclidean geometries it doesn't hold. One of my favorite courses as a math major was Structure of the Real Number System where we started with the Peano Axioms and by the end of the term could show that 1+1 = 2.

• Like 1