[dkstories] Do Over Redux Chapter 30

It was pretty good... building up for the next one i suppose.... the ending left me kind of limp... maybe its just because this chapter was so much shorter than the rest of the chapters, and we still dont know if Brian is going to make it through surgery... If you are going to do a Do Over 3...... please tell what happens up to the point of time travel for Davey... sometimes the large gaps at the end of the story is confusing....

--Braxton

DOR3? :wacko: OH GOD, don't even joke about that! Davey has already refused to take the trip back again and the designated person (Paul whats-his-name) is all set to go. Don't make Davey live through puberty AGAIN!?!

As for the skipped chunks of time: In a comment for Chpater 29, a poster complained about the chunks of time skipped over in the chapter. I'd rather see the story move ahead than to read all the intimate details of David and Davey's budding but doomed relationship. Do Over was all about Davey and Brian. Do Over Redux has the theme of Davey and Brian's failure to reconnect

- well, up to this chapter, anyway -

and David starting up with Davey was just more on that theme but not what the story is about, in my opinion.

And let me make this clear, even though I have the honor of editing the story, I don't direct it at all. Dan is an excellent story-teller. My job is to help Dan post the most error-free story out there...

What a great chapter! Talk about moving the storyline!

OK, I don't know how to do the spoiler blackout lines yet (just got registered today) so I'll keep my trap shut about the chapter. On the other hand, it's been up for a while, and this thread is about the chapter, so surely no one would read here and not expect spoilers? (I'm new, so don't know the rules yet..)

BTW, are there other areas in the forums where DOR is discussed? This thread seems a bit inactive give the magnitude of the chapter?

And, finally, a question on naming...

If Davy goes back in time again, will that end DOR and begin a new story, such as the way DO ended?

What would the title be (If this is public yet)? Do Over Redux Redux? Do Over Tres? Just curious.

DOR3? :wacko: OH GOD, don't even joke about that! Davey has already refused to take the trip back again and the designated person (Paul whats-his-name) is all set to go. Don't make Davey live through puberty AGAIN!?!

Hmmmmm... DOR3? eh? Could this be a clue? If there is another time trip, wouldn't it then be DOR2, or DO3? Not DOR3? Hmmmm... Makes me think that this could be a slip, and there is a DOR2 (or DO3) in the works? OK, OK, maybe wishful thinking on my part...

Well, C James, I'm glad to see you registered. Why people don't discuss the story more here, I don't know. Part of me wonders if its that I post here too much, that people just wait for me to say something, or people are scared how I might react, or that people just don't care much.

Do Over Redux is all I have planned so far for this story...but as I've mentioned in my blog, Redux should continue on to chapter 40. I hope to see more discussion start up on DOR...I'd like to see it and actually read what people think, and see what they guess at and how close it is, or far from, what I'm planning.

Feel free to discuss spoilers once the chapter has been up for a day or more...and always please feel free to post...it's very welcome (at last from me).

DOR3? eh? Could this be a clue?

As noted previously, I have the honor of editing DK's stories but he determines the direction and all the content.

Will this story become a trilogy? Only Dan knows.

Do I want a third book? Well, I'm not against it but I'd rather see Dan finish up Dawn of Tears and I have a real blood lust for VJ: Service. But that is just me... 0:)

Well, C James, I'm glad to see you registered. Why people don't discuss the story more here, I don't know. Part of me wonders if its that I post here too much, that people just wait for me to say something, or people are scared how I might react, or that people just don't care much.

Well, I personally think that being able to communicate with the author of a story in progress would be one of the wonders of the internet age, so I can't see how your posting here would be anything other than a huge plus.

Not to slight any other aspects of your stories, but I have to say I was particularly impressed in DO with your naval warfare scenarios, and the use of actual then-in-commission ships. I also liked the reference in DOR 30 to Enterprise (CVN-65) having eight reactors. Not too many people know that it's the only ship ever built with so many reactors (A note of other people reading this: Nimitz-class CVN's have two). Your Naval background shows through wonderfully. I also found the surface-warfare tactics you created to be very, very conceptually interesting. I'm guessing they must be your own, as they weren't standard USN tactical doctrine.

You mentioned in your blog a while back that you were thinking of publishing DO and DOR, so I was wondering if factual nit-picking from readers was wanted? For example, if I recall correctly, you inferred (probably artistic licence, not a mistake) that Reagan's library and Ranch as being at the same location.

Reagan's Ranch was in the hills inland from Santa Barbara, while the Presidential library (where he is buried) is in Simi Valley, quite a distance away.

I'm not trying to nit-pick, just wondering if such input would be welcome as publication might be intended.

I certainly won't do any further nit-picking if it's not wanted.

Do Over Redux is all I have planned so far for this story...but as I've mentioned in my blog, Redux should continue on to chapter 40. I hope to see more discussion start up on DOR...I'd like to see it and actually read what people think, and see what they guess at and how close it is, or far from, what I'm planning.

Feel free to discuss spoilers once the chapter has been up for a day or more...and always please feel free to post...it's very welcome (at last from me).

I remember reading that, but I had forgotten. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip on spoilers, too. I'll hold off on commenting on the just-posted chapter for a while. Actually, I'll have to, as I haven't read it yet! I have to wait an hour or so to get free of my phone, and it's going to be a long hour! I'm really looking forward to it, and thank you!