Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Well, if we're nitpicking, from Timothy's review

Both Ace and Frank messed around with guys at some point in their lives, so even 100% heterosexuality doesn't completely exclude them.

What constitutes "straight" and 100% heterosexuality?  Is it the actual sex acts of fucking around with someone, or it is the underlying preference where a totally straight man is aroused by women? 

I think, personally, that we can classify Ace into that category.  He messed around with Brad when he was a young teen (probably 15ish) by letting Brad suck his dick.  I'm willing to write that off as typical adolescent curiosity linked with horniness.  Frank's a bit tougher, because we have to take the adolescent and teen mentality out of it, but he let JP blow him just for a release, as far as we know.  And Frank's been happily with Isidore (with no gay field trips)  for a long time now.  I'd probably slot Frank into that category too, but with less conviction than Ace.

In her review of the current chapter Kitt expresses surprise that Will handled being banished from Claremont so well while Zach spends a week with his parents.  

I on the other hand thought it was entirely within character for Will, who has a deep love for his father, despite suing for emancipation.  Love and control are two entirely separate things as far as Will is concerned, at least in my humble opinion. 

I bolded your sentence above, because I think it is very true of Will.  On the other hand, Will isn't at a point where he can look at this totally through Zach's eyes, and I think he'd have to do that to factor in the 'love'.  I think all that Will sees is Wally and Clara exerting control, and that must frustrate him well beyond what he's expressing here. 

If you think about it, Zach is used to making sacrifices to get what he wants.  He's probably had to do that for most of his life, and he's definitely had to do that for football.  That's a big part of being an athlete.  Will, on the other hand, has only done that with some of his more dramatic moments, but even then, it has been more of a forced thing than a voluntary trade-off. 

• Like 2

Both Ace and Frank messed around with guys at some point in their lives, so even 100% heterosexuality doesn't completely exclude them.

Hmm, I'd forgotten about that, though I did hesitate before putting Frank's name in the list. Something was niggling in the back of my mind, but I thought it was just my inability to keep the Hayes men and their various experiences with guys apart. I'll have to go back and look for the Ace thing - unless you'd care to point it out? (Oh, thanks Mark for helping out.)

And to nitpick back :) don't you mean 100% straight doesn't include them ?

So Mark: you want to set up a small poll, where we vote on whether Alex is gay, straight, or bi ? And whether he'll fall for Wade / have sex with him no matter which category he fits in ? Or will Wade's arrival in Paris reveal the answer ?

Edited by Timothy M.

And to nitpick back :) don't you mean 100% straight doesn't include them ?

No, actually. I agree with yours and Mark's assessments that they are basically straight. I seem to have failed to have made that clear, so my apologies. What I meant by it not excluding them is that total heterosexuality does not seem to, in this story, take them off the table as potential hook ups. Having a relationship might be more difficult, but I more or less think that's what JP had with Andre, so even there...

In the case of Alex, even if he is completely heterosexual, (which, given his lineage, hah), he might not remain immune to Wade's considerable charms.

Either way, we'll have to see how it plays out. Wade appearing at the end of this chapter threw my calculations off.

Edited by B1ue
  • Like 1

If you think about it, Zach is used to making sacrifices to get what he wants.  He's probably had to do that for most of his life, and he's definitely had to do that for football.  That's a big part of being an athlete.  Will, on the other hand, has only done that with some of his more dramatic moments, but even then, it has been more of a forced thing than a voluntary trade-off. 

I don't think the concept of "trade-offs" and "opportunity costs" and "personal sacrifice" really come through with a guy who grew up in a billionaire family. He, for the most part, does what he wants to do when he wants to do it, because barring emotional stuff, there's not a lot of consequences for him because of his money. It's not like Will had to get a job when he got emancipated like most emancipated minors.

As for sports, Will had the talent, but not the drive to really push himself in it. Could you honestly see Will doing the kind of work that pro surfers probably do to get themselves there?

In her review of the current chapter Kitt expresses surprise that Will handled being banished from Claremont so well while Zach spends a week with his parents.  

I on the other hand thought it was entirely within character for Will, who has a deep love for his father, despite suing for emancipation.  Love and control are two entirely separate things as for as Will is concerned, at least in my humble opinion. 

I agree, love and control are separate things in Will's world. In spite of being very mature for his age, he has yet to gain the perspective to let him understand that to a degree love is control, and control can be a form of love. I was simply surprised that he didn't toss a bit more of a hissy fit when it was made clear he was not welcome. And to be fair- for all we know the fit is yet to come!

• Like 3

As for sports, Will had the talent, but not the drive to really push himself in it. Could you honestly see Will doing the kind of work that pro surfers probably do to get themselves there?

Actually, yes. Presumably, he is making all that effort. He's apparently a world class surfer, with near daily practices for a while, he just never bothered to actually compete because it wasn't important to be seen as a winner. He knew he was good, and that is evidentially enough.

One thing that Will lacks in his character is the need to be seen as a winner, or anything at all, really. He can give a damn how other people perceive him, as long as that perception doesn't interfere with his long term goals. Compare that to Brad, who takes pride in being a butch jerk, or JJ's careful mask, or Matt's self perception of a someone at their physical prime, or Stef's joy in being beautiful, or even JP's and Wade's shared need to be coolly commanding. None of that applies to Will. He's curious because he has no default persona that he projects, he just doesn't care.

Although he is developing a tendency to see himself as right all the time, but with JP making small attempts to curb it, I don't know how if this will be a permanent feature or something the character will eventual drop.

• Like 5

Actually, yes. Presumably, he is making all that effort. He's apparently a world class surfer, with near daily practices for a while, he just never bothered to actually compete because it wasn't important to be seen as a winner. He knew he was good, and that is evidentially enough.

One thing that Will lacks in his character is the need to be seen as a winner, or anything at all, really. He can give a damn how other people perceive him, as long as that perception doesn't interfere with his long term goals. Compare that to Brad, who takes pride in being a butch jerk, or JJ's careful mask, or Matt's self perception of a someone at their physical prime, or Stef's joy in being beautiful, or even JP's and Wade's shared need to be coolly commanding. None of that applies to Will. He's curious because he has no default persona that he projects, he just doesn't care.

Although he is developing a tendency to see himself as right all the time, but with JP making small attempts to curb it, I don't know how if this will be a permanent feature or something the character will eventual drop.

Excellent observation(s)

One thing that Will lacks in his character is the need to be seen as a winner,

I am not sure that is a bad thing. Will is comfortable in his own skin - something a lot of people are not!

• Like 3

I think that Will has always been confident in himself and it was bolstered when he won his emancipation which was a battle.  Therefore, like most self-confident people he does see himself as usually right.  However, he is beginning to listen to what other people have to say, especially to people whom he loves and or respects.  So there is progress.  Like everyone, Will is a work in progress and I for one am enjoying the journey.

Your observations as Mark noted are succinct, but aptly describe a defining characteristic of each of the major cast members.  Although, I think regarding Brad, I would have used the term control freak instead of jerk.   :P

• Like 2

On a semi-related note, has anyone questioned why Zach is so dead set on becoming a professional football player? Is it to become rich? Famous? Independent of his parents and their community? To be seen as successful in a way that few can dispute?

I ask, because some of those motivations, Will simply won't have the mindset needed to get. Particularly if Zach needs to be seen as successful; we see in his interactions with JJ that while Will is prepared to humor his brother, he doesn't really understand him. Some of those motivations have also changed since Robbie passed away, and I wonder if Zach has been so focused on this one path he might not have noticed his options have opened up.

• Like 4

........... Some of those motivations have also changed since Robbie passed away, and I wonder if Zach has been so focused on this one path he might not have noticed his options have opened up.

Ah, and there you have it.  Mark is famous for leaving these openings which he exploits later and this could be an important one! 

• Like 3

Do not know what happened when I tried to give a review.  Wow. Wasn't expecting Wade to be so out of character. I wasn't going to post because I think Matt and Wade are an integral part of the story and I was not happy.  I saw a response from you to a review that made me have hope that all will be well down the road.  Love your writing and really don't want to stop reading and won't,  just didn't seem like you wrote it.   The chapter is not something I think anyone was expecting based on the poll.

Continue to give us great work.

• Like 1

As I said in the poll thread, the point of the story is Brad and Matt in flux - each cast adrift, and building a new phase of life. It makes sense to introduce a plot device which teaches Matt how to be friends with an ex.

That said, this is significantly out of character for Wade. It is impulsive and immature, two things he never is. Wade is deliberate and collected. My fear is that his relegation to a secondary character in the focus on Matt has changed the way he is being written. At this point, Will is making more mature decisions than Wade (though not by much) - what's up with that?

• Like 1

That said, this is significantly out of character for Wade. It is impulsive and immature, two things he never is. Wade is deliberate and collected. My fear is that his relegation to a secondary character in the focus on Matt has changed the way he is being written. At this point, Will is making more mature decisions than Wade (though not by much) - what's up with that?

Wade's usually calm and collected, but right now he's a giddy guy in the middle of a new massive crush. The only other time we saw Wade in that status was when he was falling in love with Matt, but we didn't really know Wade all that well then. Wade was more of an enigma until Matt saw Wade with his family during the Holidays.

It's been a long and enduring theme in CAP that love (either falling in or falling out) causes our characters to act in ways that kinda baffle and confound us readers.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

Do not know what happened when I tried to give a review.  Wow. Wasn't expecting Wade to be so out of character. I wasn't going to post because I think Matt and Wade are an integral part of the story and I was not happy.  I saw a response from you to a review that made me have hope that all will be well down the road.  Love your writing and really don't want to stop reading and won't,  just didn't seem like you wrote it.   The chapter is not something I think anyone was expecting based on the poll.

Continue to give us great work.

As I said in the poll thread, the point of the story is Brad and Matt in flux - each cast adrift, and building a new phase of life. It makes sense to introduce a plot device which teaches Matt how to be friends with an ex.

You're both right: Wade is acting totally out of character.  He's normally, as Henson said, deliberate and collected.  And the reason for that, as Jeremy noted, was that he's giddy with new love.  For some reason, Alex has totally blown Wade away and swept him off his feet.  He's making compromises, and decisions, that defy his normal, rational behavior.  So while I think it's out of character, I would note that it's supposed to be, and the fact that Wade is acting so strangely is supposed to be significant. 

I see Wade, working to deal with Matt and his unresolved feelings, only suddenly this new guy comes in and rocks his world.  If you met a guy, and he was pretty much everything you ever wanted and ever dreamed about, and you two managed to get together as a couple, wouldn't you be just a little flighty, and wouldn't you be willing to do things and make compromises that wouldn't otherwise seem logical for you to do? 

Wade is smart, he's caring, he's logical, and he's organized.  But he's not perfect. 

Edited by Mark Arbour

Seriously though. Who hasn't had a crush? Who hasn't felt all logic and reasoning leave you in regards to that person when that crush was in full-bloom? There's a rush, and it's only afterwards when you really get to know the person that you start to think rationally and logically again.

• Like 1

Good for Wade. Except there is something I do NOT like about Lord Al (as I will now call him).

So I am calling it now: he's a gold digger and is after Wade's £££

Edited by mmike1969
  • Like 3

Good for Wade. Except there is something I do NOT like about Lord Al (as I will now call him).

So I am calling it now: he's a gold digger and is after Wade's £££

Interesting point. Being titled and landed, as they used to say, does not necessarily mean wealthy.

• Like 2

Just got back from World Pride, which is being held in Toronto this year...awesome party. Upon opening my laptop, I found I had private email asking me why I haven't commented on the latest chapter of Flux...I answered back that it was too painful and raw to deal with. So I have been sitting here thinking about it for an hour now(with a big glass of red). I really do love this forum, but I have been cutting myself off to distance myself from Flux. I have posted a review for every chapter except for the last two because I didn't have anything good to say about how I was feeling...kind of an act of self defence. But to be honest it isn't working. Even today, having an amazing day, I was still haunted every so often by this story. I think in a way, I have been a little ashamed of caring so much about these fictional characters(at this time..Matt and Wade). After checking out some of the reviews and forum comments, I realize that there are others who feel a certain degree of pain from this latest chapter as well. That being said, I guess I am going to let my feelings out. I do want to say that this chapter made me feel a multitude of emotions(unfortunately all were unpleasant). Mark, you are a fantastic writer to be able to evoke such feelings and you always set the highest of standards in that regard. But I have to say I hated this last chapter from start to finish. I am confused as to why it was ok for Wade to express jealousy over Cam when he and matt were in Hawaii and a short time later he verbally attacks Matt and says they can't be friends if Matt is going to be jealous of any one he is with. That is a real headscratcher to me. So Wade meets Alex, an hour later he invites him to stay with him in Boston and a week later they are planning a life together and Wade has completely written off Matt except as a friend. To me this is Wade being a flake...a Robbie-like flake. For those who say that this is completely out of character for Wade, I would remind them that he almost destroyed his relationship with Matt the first time he was sleeping with Brad and if he had his way it would have happened because he fell for Brad in a huge way. How was that for drama! So to the comment that Wade is wanting a drama free relationship...I would say that he should not be in it because he causes as much drama as Matt ever did...maybe even more. As far as Wade's talk of head over crotch...to me that was judging Matt unfairly. Matt has every bit as much going for him upstairs as Wade, Alex or most others their age...and the blueblood crap is just that...a big steaming pile of it. They are in the new millenium now and that thinking shouldn't wash in their situation. I think this is just to excuse Wade for being irrational and flaky. And if it isn't the case, then Wade is being a pretentious, self centered snob. Believe me when I say that this is not how I want to think of him. My opinion is that Wade goes after what he wants and lets the chips fall were the may...leaving the way he did...not spending any time with Matt and the family was cowardly,selfish and incredibly rude...all he wanted was to get back to Alex and to hell with anyone else.

Matt's concern over Wade and Alex's relationship, while noble, did not seem real...and his musings about it were something I had trouble buying...I certainly don't know anyone who would be thinking that way after getting their heart broken. To his credit, he was nice to Wade while getting blowtorched...but it was too nice to feel believable.

I thought Will's comment about "Manhole" was horrendous. It was like saying all you have to do to get over losing your soulmate is to hookup with some barfly...that's the stereotype that we are all still fighting...just move on to the next one. And this is further supported by Matt chuckling happily after a blow job in the steamroom....appearing to be happy that he is a single man...again I don't understand.I appoligize for the long windedness(I'll blame it on the wine).To sum up, I feel hurt, angry and bitter because even though I predicted this in the Wade and Alex thread, I was not ready for how ugly it was for me.I am grieving for what has been lost with Matt and Wade (and I expect that we would see Matt's development go the other way now in order to help facilitate Alex's acceptance into the CAP family) and I think I may be grieving for Flux itself in a way...because I have to become cynical about it at this moment in order to protect myself. Wow...how is that for melodramatic.No more wine for me.I have been a huge fan of CAP and Mr. Mark Arbour from the beginning,and I will continue to be so and I will continue to have great faith in him. His pen wields great power and this chapter proves just that. I don't expect others to agree or feel the way I do...and I don't apoligise for my feelings...I guess I needed to let them out. Happy Pride to all...cheers...Gary

• Like 1

Just got back from World Pride, which is being held in Toronto this year...awesome party. Upon opening my laptop, I found I had private email asking me why I haven't commented on the latest chapter of Flux...I answered back that it was too painful and raw to deal with. So I have been sitting here thinking about it for an hour now(with a big glass of red). I really do love this forum, but I have been cutting myself off to distance myself from Flux. I have posted a review for every chapter except for the last two because I didn't have anything good to say about how I was feeling...kind of an act of self defence. But to be honest it isn't working. Even today, having an amazing day, I was still haunted every so often by this story. I think in a way, I have been a little ashamed of caring so much about these fictional characters(at this time..Matt and Wade). After checking out some of the reviews and forum comments, I realize that there are others who feel a certain degree of pain from this latest chapter as well. That being said, I guess I am going to let my feelings out. I do want to say that this chapter made me feel a multitude of emotions(unfortunately all were unpleasant). Mark, you are a fantastic writer to be able to evoke such feelings and you always set the highest of standards in that regard. But I have to say I hated this last chapter from start to finish.

I'm sorry you didn't like the chapter.  I knew it would evoke varied responses.  My hope is that, as these characters get to more fully explain (and explore) their actions, you'll have a better understanding of why this is all happening. 

I am confused as to why it was ok for Wade to express jealousy over Cam when he and matt were in Hawaii and a short time later he verbally attacks Matt and says they can't be friends if Matt is going to be jealous of any one he is with. That is a real headscratcher to me. So Wade meets Alex, an hour later he invites him to stay with him in Boston and a week later they are planning a life together and Wade has completely written off Matt except as a friend. To me this is Wade being a flake...a Robbie-like flake. For those who say that this is completely out of character for Wade, I would remind them that he almost destroyed his relationship with Matt the first time he was sleeping with Brad and if he had his way it would have happened because he fell for Brad in a huge way. How was that for drama! So to the comment that Wade is wanting a drama free relationship...I would say that he should not be in it because he causes as much drama as Matt ever did...maybe even more. As far as Wade's talk of head over crotch...to me that was judging Matt unfairly. Matt has every bit as much going for him upstairs as Wade, Alex or most others their age

Yes.

...and the blueblood crap is just that...a big steaming pile of it. They are in the new millenium now and that thinking shouldn't wash in their situation. I think this is just to excuse Wade for being irrational and flaky. And if it isn't the case, then Wade is being a pretentious, self centered snob. Believe me when I say that this is not how I want to think of him.

I cannot agree with you here.  That sort of thing still really matters.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that almost everyone reading this got a job (if not their 'career job) from some sort of job referral from a contact.   That's because who you know is very important, maybe even more important that what you know.  If you are wealthy and influential, you and your children will have more valuable contacts, etc.  My point here is that where you land in the socio-economic scale is very important.  

My opinion is that Wade goes after what he wants and lets the chips fall were the may...leaving the way he did...not spending any time with Matt and the family was cowardly,selfish and incredibly rude...all he wanted was to get back to Alex and to hell with anyone else.

I think you're being a little hard on Wade.  He's doing that now, but he doesn't have a history of doing that.  In fact, I'd say that for most of the time we've seen him, he's been an honorable guy. 

I think Wade was cowardly, selfish, and incredibly rude during this whole deal with Alex.  I can also see how, if he was already burdened by the guilt of treating Matt like shit, he'd have had a really hard time facing everyone and explaining (and answering for) his actions.  In essence, he was avoiding a potential trial.

Matt's concern over Wade and Alex's relationship, while noble, did not seem real...and his musings about it were something I had trouble buying...I certainly don't know anyone who would be thinking that way after getting their heart broken. To his credit, he was nice to Wade while getting blowtorched...but it was too nice to feel believable.

I think it's a sign of Matt's maturity, to a degree, and also the phenomenon that as he gets older, he is able to control his reactions and his feelings more.  Matt hasn't given up on Wade, so all of his thoughts, at this point, are focused on achieving that goal, in some shape or form.  He's forcing himself to be as calm as he can, and as logical as he can, so he doesn't ruin his chances with Wade.   I think you'll find that when there's a lot of guilt in a relationship, and a lot of love, the kind of self-sacrifice that Matt may have made here is pretty common.

I thought Will's comment about "Manhole" was horrendous. It was like saying all you have to do to get over losing your soulmate is to hookup with some barfly...that's the stereotype that we are all still fighting...just move on to the next one.

For some people, that's exactly what it takes.  It isn't a stereotype at all, it's very real.  And quite frankly, if something isn't working out, you should go on to the next one. 

And this is further supported by Matt chuckling happily after a blow job in the steamroom....appearing to be happy that he is a single man...again I don't understand.

I don't always chuckle, but I am pretty happy after a blow job.  :o  Just sayin' :P

appoligize for the long windedness(I'll blame it on the wine).To sum up, I feel hurt, angry and bitter because even though I predicted this in the Wade and Alex thread, I was not ready for how ugly it was for me.I am grieving for what has been lost with Matt and Wade (and I expect that we would see Matt's development go the other way now in order to help facilitate Alex's acceptance into the CAP family) and I think I may be grieving for Flux itself in a way...because I have to become cynical about it at this moment in order to protect myself. Wow...how is that for melodramatic.No more wine for me.I have been a huge fan of CAP and Mr. Mark Arbour from the beginning,and I will continue to be so and I will continue to have great faith in him. His pen wields great power and this chapter proves just that. I don't expect others to agree or feel the way I do...and I don't apoligise for my feelings...I guess I needed to let them out. Happy Pride to all...cheers...Gary

I'm glad you told me how you felt.  Part of me is glad that you feel this way, because much of what you expressed is exactly how I want you to see it.  But as I said before, we're not done with the story, so I hope you'll withhold judgment until the end.

Edited by Mark Arbour
  • Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..