queer book club

lovesickpuppy

I recently joined a queer book club, but there was only one guy that showed up, and the rest were mostly lesbians and other queer ladies. I remember what it was like being the "quiet one" and I wished it was easier somehow for the solo guy.

He joined because he was tired of the online book club he was in. I hope that there will be more guys coming, but I don't think soon enough. I don't know how long this book club will last. My previous one lasted months. We were all busy people.

I had a bad experience with an online book club, where I actually unintentionally insulted the author and I realized that the forum wasn't my audience, so I left. Mainstream forum.

If you were in a queer book club, how long do you think it would last?

don't see why a queer book club should be any different to any other book club

I think it would last as long as the members want it to, just like any other club really

• Like 2

I recently joined a queer book club, but there was only one guy that showed up, and the rest were mostly lesbians and other queer ladies. I remember what it was like being the "quiet one" and I wished it was easier somehow for the solo guy.

He joined because he was tired of the online book club he was in. I hope that there will be more guys coming, but I don't think soon enough. I don't know how long this book club will last. My previous one lasted months. We were all busy people.

I had a bad experience with an online book club, where I actually unintentionally insulted the author and I realized that the forum wasn't my audience, so I left. Mainstream forum.

Depends on the people involved, as with all human groups. If you've got social butterflies, maybe. A straight lady friend of mine loves her book club, or at least has never complained about it, and it has been meeting for years. I considered joining, but first I read one of their picks. Eh... :rolleyes: I told her it was interesting and very accurate historically.

Regarding your sole gay guy, I'd reckon there's not much overlap between lesbian and gay fiction, is there? I read a lot of books about gay guys or otherwise written by gay male authors. The only lesbians I've got on my shelf are Mary Renault, who readers thought was a gay man when she first published, and probably some others I'm not really sure about, like Doris Lessing.

On the other hand, maybe cross-pollination is enriching and he will enjoy the exposure to literature about a different group of outsiders. Mary Renault wrote amazingly good gay male fiction. I thought she was a he, too. She had me fooled along with the rest.

• Like 1

I'm really picky about what I want to read.

I'm not interested in text p0rn. I know how, don't need instructions and, I never want to see the words turgid member again.

I want fiction with gay people in it. Sex is OK when it's part of the story but not the whole story.

That's what we create here and some of it is as good as anything in print.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 3

• Site Administrator

Maybe we should start our own book club? Pick a new completed story each week. 

We do, though it's monthly, not weekly.

Here's the link to the one from last month: https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/blog/258/entry-15182-csr-discussion-day-joe-the-welder-by-robert-rex/

• Like 3

I'm not interested in text p0rn. I know how, don't need instructions and, I never want to see the words turgid member again.

Turgid member...

Just because.

I am also way too picky about my reading to join a book club, and too short on time.

• Like 1

We do, though it's monthly, not weekly.

Here's the link to the one from last month: https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/blog/258/entry-15182-csr-discussion-day-joe-the-welder-by-robert-rex/

Yep I follow that occasionally.

But I was thinking more of having a specific thread where people can have a say in which story is discussed and can discuss the story as they read.

A bit like the story discussions i guess but only  more specific. Just an idea, it needs refining though. :) 

• Site Administrator

What if we considered a Monday or Wednesday GA Site News blog post where we provide a place for readers to comment and share what they read recently via comments? Not just finished work, which is what we usually feature, but whatever they've picked up since the last time we did the feature? I haven't talked to Renee at all about this, so it's just a glimmer of a possibility, but we're always looking to engage the site members in stories. What better way to get your favorite story or author more attention than sharing what you enjoy for others to see? And it'd be less work for people than doing a full review.  

• Like 3

What if we considered a Monday or Wednesday GA Site News blog post where we provide a place for readers to comment and share what they read recently via comments? Not just finished work, which is what we usually feature, but whatever they've picked up since the last time we did the feature? I haven't talked to Renee at all about this, so it's just a glimmer of a possibility, but we're always looking to engage the site members in stories. What better way to get your favorite story or author more attention than sharing what you enjoy for others to see? And it'd be less work for people than doing a full review.  

I really like this idea. It might help to encourage readers into in-progress stories and it allows people to share and speculate. These are never bad things.

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

I think this sounds like a great idea.