2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Live Aid 30Th Anniversary

drpaladin

• Site Moderator

July 13, 1985

To paraphrase Sgt Pepper's Lonely  Hearts Club Band, "It was thirty years ago today.. "  Two concerts were held simultaneously in John F. Kennedy Stadium in Philadelphia and Wembley in London. They were broadcast worldwide for 16 hours to nearly two billion people.

The transcontinental show was to raise money to fight the famine in Ethiopia. Organized by Boomtown Rats frontman Bob Geldof; it helped garner him a knighthood. It was a phenomenal lineup.  It witnessed reunions of The Who, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Queen's performance was arguably the best of their career.

spacer.gif

Queen
Queen420x240_1436478462.jpg

No, overall it wasn't perfect. The sound was laughable at times, but it was the Woodstock of the '80's.

• Like 5

I love Queen. I was at Legoland in Denmark with my family so I didn't see it but I demanded that my oldest sister taped the whole thing on 6 video cassets so I could watch it when I got home, she did :) 30 years, wow  :unsure:   :unsure2:  

• Like 2

• Site Administrator

I recorded a lot of it, too.  I remember staying up to watch my favorite bands.  I can't believe it's been 30 years! 

• Like 2

• Site Moderator

I recorded a lot of it, too.  I remember staying up to watch my favorite bands.  I can't believe it's been 30 years! 

Time flies when you're having fun.  :)   lol

• Like 1

• Site Moderator

@ Drew- eat poop and croak!

And Phil Collins was the only artist to play in both concerts, he flew from London to Philly when his performance at Wembley ended

Plus he took the late John Bonham's place to play with Led Zeppelin. He used the supersonic Concorde to make the connection. It couldn't be done commercially today.

• Like 1

• Site Moderator

Too young to go to Woodstock and too damned busy to go to Live Aid, but seeing it on a marathon TV session was great.

Me too. Love the clip of Freddie Mercury. 

The show that catapulted U2 to superstardom!

That version of 'Bad' was one of my fav parts of that whole thing.

30 years ago...
~sigh~

• Like 2

• Site Moderator

The show that catapulted U2 to superstardom!

That version of 'Bad' was one of my fav parts of that whole thing.

30 years ago...

~sigh~

Yep. One example of when Bad was Good.  ;)

• Like 1