2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Candy Swaps: Who Did This As Kids?

W_L

I just realized that not everyone did this during Halloween in the US, so let me explain.

When I was a kid, our elementary school would do this after Halloween. We bring in our trick/treat bags of candy and begin to barter for candy that we like.

Personally, I liked Kik-Kats and Almond Joys, but I would get a lot of Reese's, skittles, and M&M, so would offer barters for it with some friends.

Taught me my first lesson in business negotiation :P

Did anyone else have a Post-Halloween swap, when they were kids?

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

I just realized that not everyone did this during Halloween in the US, so let me explain.

When I was a kid, our elementary school would do this after Halloween. We bring in our trick/treat bags of candy and begin to barter for candy that we like.

Personally, I liked Kik-Kats and Almond Joys, but I would get a lot of Reese's, skittles, and M&M, so would offer barters for it with some friends.

Only with my siblings. The problem was that we all liked the same things! Wish I would have had you to trade with. I would give away my kit-kats and almond joys for reese's any day.

• Site Administrator

I would trade with my brother and my friends.  Reeses are my favorite, so I would have happily traded you my Kit Kats for those, too.  lol

Actually we don't have Halloween here where I live. But we did exchange our junks with others friends and all on number of Occasions...

Personally I like chocolates or candies as You said, as a child. Our friends will arrange some picnics/tour to near forming field on every Sunday and we exchange whatever the food item we are taken there...

I Miss My Childhood... :lol:

i-got-a-rock-charlie_zpsbl2o4cjx.jpg

Back in the seventies a charismatic preacher talked all the Baptist in our area to for go Halloween.

Instead, they have fall festival for the kids with food and candy but it was like really, really str8.

My coven used to skip that idiocy and go out in the woods and drink heavily and smoke lots of pot.

Ah the memories.

James would you trade a pound of candy for a pound of what you had (or have :P )

As teens, we all stopped doing the trick or treating stuff, but Halloween was simple as a kids holiday.

• Site Administrator

I became an diabetic at 4, so my routine was to go trick or treating and then go to the nearest hospital with a children's ward (there wasn't Children's Hospitals back then :P ) and drop off all my candy for the kids there.

My reward were little bags of Sunflower seeds that I loved (and still do). I'd be damned if I was gonna swap my sunflower seeds :D

• Like 3

I became an diabetic at 4, so my routine was to go trick or treating and then go to the nearest hospital with a children's ward (there wasn't Children's Hospitals back then :P ) and drop off all my candy for the kids there.

My reward were little bags of Sunflower seeds that I loved (and still do). I'd be damned if I was gonna swap my sunflower seeds :D

I'll give you some nuts and jerky :P

*Pins Gold Star on Steven's Booty* - You're a good one. :D

To add: I was never a fan of chocolate, so I would trade for Taffy, Jollyranchers, or other fruit flavored stuff. Probably higher in sugar and such.. lol. But cheap chocolate and I don't get along at all. 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 1