Periodic Table: Four New Elements

Well, this is now relatively old news, (I seriously need to pay more attention to news on scientific breakthroughs lol ) but on December 30, 2015, the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) formally recognized the discovery of elements 113, 115, 117, and 118. Meaning, that the 7th Period of the Periodic Table is now complete. :D Official names and symbols will be chosen later this year.

Here's an article on the discovery. :)

Periodic-Table-Color.png

• Like 1

Strange how things work out sometimes. When I was working on Chapter 7 of my new book I had to get into the Periodic Table and there were those four new elements. At the time I remembered reading an article somewhere about one of them being discovered before the other three and how it was given the temporary name Ununoctium. Personally, I think Ununoctium is a really neat name for an element. An even better name would be Lastium with the symbol Ls, since La is already taken.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...