[dkstories] Doing It Right - Ch. 1

YAY! Dan, you are so evil for keeping us in the dark over this ... at least I don't think you mentioned it ...

Anyway, I'm glad we're gonna get to see more of Davey and Brian ... and Brandon and Trevor and Sean

THANK YOU! :worship:

BTW, just for doing this, I'll put on some baseball pants, take a picture, and send it to ya! You can see my pic in my GA profile and decide if I'm cute enough to model ... haha

:blink: Hey Dan that was so evil saying the Do Over series were done. :D I was shocked to see a new story banner and even more happy to what it was about. :P:2thumbs::great: I just want to say a great job you did and can't to read more. :worship:

twolf

YAY! Dan, you are so evil for keeping us in the dark over this ... at least I don't think you mentioned it ...

Anyway, I'm glad we're gonna get to see more of Davey and Brian ... and Brandon and Trevor and Sean

THANK YOU! :worship:

BTW, just for doing this, I'll put on some baseball pants, take a picture, and send it to ya! You can see my pic in my GA profile and decide if I'm cute enough to model ... haha

Ya know...I just got an idea...I'll send the second chapter of DIR to the first board member to put an actual picture of themselves in a baseball uniform up in the profile section...

:)

I dropped into this forum and saw this new subject, and wondered "What is this?" I read some of the first post, just enough to realize that it meant DO and DOR are part of a TRILOGY!!! And chapter 1 is UP!

YIPPPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been one of the people here who has been lamenting about the DO series ending. So, I'm sure you can guess how I feel about this new development!!!!

I loved chapter one, and it being from Brian's perspective is very interesting!! I'm wondering how that will be handled when Sean "comes back". Then again, Davey is presently sans his future memories, I think, so

this will be VERY interesting!!

Ya know...I just got an idea...I'll send the second chapter of DIR to the first board member to put an actual picture of themselves in a baseball uniform up in the profile section...

Or a slightly different take on this:

Dan, *UNLESS* you send me SEVERAL chapters of DIR, I *WILL* post a picture of myself in a baseball uniform!

There, that ought to get me a few chapters of DIR in my inbox in 4, 3, 2, 1.....

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've got any even better idea ... if Dan can actually invent a time machine like in DO and DOR, I will put on a baseball uniform, get on a plane and fly from Taipei to California, and personally model it (and do a strip tease) for him ... and anything else he wants me to do (even vampire role play), with the proviso that I get to go back to about 1992 or so ... :P

And you think that will get you out of your promise to put on a baseball uniform, take a picture and send it to me? I'm sure there's one fan who likes the story enough to fly out to Taipei and force you to do it so that they'll see chapter two. :)

Geez...so you want to be fourteen again? Now that sounds like an interesting story to hear...

Ok Tim kneels down at Dan's feet and silently worships the ground that is in contact with with the masters feet.

What a mind f**k that was! I haven't been keeping up on DOR or anything really lately, since I've been finding my way out of a closet I thought I'd never ever leave, but when dan popped into live chat tonite to warn me that he had posted chapter 1 of his new story, I decided I'd finish DOR(which I thought was gonna be 40 chapters, So I was kinda bummed when I read the end at the end of chapter 39), and then I read Service8, and then I thought I's start the new one. So I was pleasantly surprised at the subject and the characters in DIR!!!!

Dan you have taken the place away from Dom as my favorite author. And I never thought I'd hear myself say that. However, I just started Dom's WT tonight also, and I just gotta say that it looks like my favorite may flip-flop until both of these are done now, depending on who posted last!

Ok i'm off to catch up on the forums from the last couple weeks that I've fallen behind on.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:AWESOME NEW STORY DAN!! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Edited by Tim the Slut
Ok Tim kneels down at Dan's feet and silently worships the ground that is in contact with with the masters feet.

What a mind f**k that was!

Yes indeed!! Dan sure threw me for a loop with this one!!

This answers some interesting questions. I'd been attempting to figure out what a sequel to DOR could be called. Do Over Tridux was one thought, but not a good one.

So, now we have Doing it Right. This is great, as it allows for a symmetry in naming... Do Over and Do Over Redux, then Doing it Right and Doing it Right Redux.

BTW, on his Blog, Dan says

As for the title, I
Dan, *UNLESS* you send me SEVERAL chapters of DIR, I *WILL* post a picture of myself in a baseball uniform!

That's my line! ^^

Ok, else I'm happy. More DO is good and from Brian's point of view it's really refreshing too.

And Uncle Rich is doing well, YAY! XD

Dan- All I can say is "Thank You"!

I know I don't post often but I have been an avid fan of DO and DOR and was not looking forward to not having any more! I could have understood your leaving it where it was after DOR#39, but I was hoping for at least an Epilogue getting us caught up on "the boys". This is such a wonderful surprise!

Thanks again,

Jack

AHHHH OMG!!!!!!!! OMGGGGGGG !!!!!!!! I just replied to the vote post... and then i checked to see if stories were updated... im like "wtf is this" "must be that new thing hes been talkin abt" i open chapter 1... start reading...

after about 5 seconds i figured out what it was... omg... i was so loud and screaming and laughing.... was SO scared i was gona wake my parents.... which would be bad considering its 5:30 am and they get up for work at 7...

anyways... im not even done with the first chapter... i just had to post... :)

Oomigawd-oomiGAWD!!

I never expectef this. I had thought that DO39 was the end and that what happen after that fateful day in seventh grade is up to our own imagination. BUT WOW!! :worship:

THANK YOU DAN!! :2thumbs: A whole new story based on Brian's perspective! :D I lost words to describe how happy I am to come here and think, "Hmmmm Doing it right. Sounds suspiciously like Do OVer, naaaahhh....I sthink Dan already said there would be no DO3" WOW! :great: No DO3 but a whole NEW story from a different p.o.v!! Uncle Rich even seem to live this timeline.

Can't wait to see how Brian struggled with his feelings for Davey :lmao:

Cheers and MUCH THANKS!

Rad

THANK YOU DAN!! :2thumbs: A whole new story based on Brian's perspective! :D I lost words to describe how happy I am to come here and think, "Hmmmm Doing it right. Sounds suspiciously like Do OVer, naaaahhh....I sthink Dan already said there would be no DO3" WOW! :great: No DO3 but a whole NEW story from a different p.o.v!!

Actually, he mentioned on his blog that it was just this first chapter that he was doing from Brian's perspective and right now he wasn't planning on any other from a non-Davey perspective...

Actually, he mentioned on his blog that it was just this first chapter that he was doing from Brian's perspective and right now he wasn't planning on any other from a non-Davey perspective...

Hmmmm!!! I read that blog entry to mean that the story would remain from Brian's perspective.

However, your interpretation makes sense too. After re-reading the blog entry (the relevant part is quoted below) I think that you have it right.

Also, this chapter is from Brian
So far, all the other chapters are from the perspective of Davey.

When I was under the misconception that they were all from Brian's perspective, I was wondering how on earth you would deal with any of Davey's future memories, or for that matter Sean's "return".

That of course begs the question: Will Davey have any more future memories, at any time? Sean seemed to have his enhanced while drunk... Anyone have any guesses?

My own prediction is that Davey either will, or will not, have his future memories at some point. I'm absolutely sure of this, too! :D:P

I've re-read chapter 1 more quietly and something's bothering me a bit. I've been thinking idly about it for a while and more and more with 3 stories by other authors with similarities. But re-reading ch1 and Sean's change really put it into shape.

Bothering is not really the word. Let's say I'm just wondering about it.

I might be a bit off tracks but oh well...

It's the whole "jocks" idea. It seems so important. You have to understand that in my country there's very few club activities in school. First of all there's no time, we usually finish class at 5PM sometimes 6. But when, like me, you've been to special schools with different activities (football -the REAL sport you play with your FEET! ^^-, volley-ball, dance, music, theater...) you'd have seen that jocks are not popular. At best they're considered slightly dumb and not interesting. (Although I must say that more or less elitist sports like tennis, golf, fencing, horse-riding, etc... are something else.)

The popular people are those who seem (mark the "seem". We're talking about teenagers here. ^^) to have a better understanding of such things as politic, philosophy and arts and show it. If they're commited one way or another into politic or social matters or are considered artists, that's even better. People would go out of their way to befriend the kids of the Theater class but they'd not be seen dead with the football players.

Now it doesn't mean that bookworms or straight A students are worshiped. Absolutely not. It's more twisted than that. If you're a bit eccentric, witty, self-assured and not a troll, that's it. You don't even have to be outgoing and nice. People will come to you if they think you know what you're talking about.

If you want an example, let's say that Davey would have been more popular in France for patronizing while talking about Gavrila Derzhavin than for winning any match.

So when I see so many stories where physical achievements seem to be the key to mental wellbeing and social acceptance, I'm wondering if it's somehow really like that in the USA. Is physical strenght so important to earn respect ?

I'm not judging. Our ways have a lot of flaws so I wouldn't dare to even think that they're better. I'm just wondering how it works elsewhere.

Ah, the wonders of cultural differences. :)

In the United States, it is far more common for physical achievements to be the easiest course for popularity. Not all American schools have football as the primary sports team, and it may be changing now, but it is very common for the sports teams to have a lot of social impact.

For instance, in most American schools, you can ask most students who the quarterback of their football team is, and you'll get a correct answer. If you ask who the captain of the debate team is, most of the time you'll get a blank look (or a question about whether their school even has a debate team). Where other sports are king (such as basketball or swimming or baseball) you can ask questions about those teams and get an answer more often than you will about academic teams.

Like I said before, it's not true in every school, but in most schools it is something very common.

Part of it has a lot to do with the concept of Machismo in American culture. Real mean get out and play sports. Physical activity, especially team sports, are to be admired and those who are part of those teams are often looked on as the 'best'. It all plays into the American mythos that 'real' men are big, brawny, and physically imposing, as well as 'in-charge' and capable of leading.

And yes, it has a lot to do with explaining why 'gay' is sometimes considered so bad...because gays are often viewed as being effiminate, sissy, and weak...although that is really changing now. Look at the reaction over the years to professional sports players who come out of the closet...most of them wait until they are retired. When Greg Louganis came out, a lot of people chortled because he was in a 'sissy' sport (diving/swimming) and not a REAL sport. One of the most famous black football players that came out is now an 'ex-gay' proclaiming the word of God and how wonderful it is to be converted to heterosexuality.

He says it was so hard to find acceptance as a gay man...

Billy Bean was the most famous retired baseball player to come out of the closet, and most American men over the age of 40 squirm in their seats if you mention him.

To sum up the most common perceptions...

Real men play sports...and real men can't be gay.

There's also the whole factor that the jocks often are the most physically imposing, and the most cruel when it comes to how they treat other, weaker students. In smaller schools, it is usually a little bit rougher if the sports teams are 'winners'. Championship banners in the gym usually results in the jocks being able to literally get away with rape and murder.

Is it right? No. Is it like this everywhere in the states? No.

It is common though.