Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Do Teens Know 90's Music?

methodwriter85

In this episode of React, teens react to more 90's music:

I always get a kick out of this stuff. It's funny to see what remains, and what has slipped out of the consciousness. (Not surprised at the staying power of the Spice Girls- I've met people in their early 20's who know them.)

It was funny to see nobody knew The Impression That I Get- I remember being in love with that song during the summer of 1997:

1997 was a great year for music, in my opinion.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

• Site Administrator

I did worse than the teenagers!  lol  Give me an '80s music quiz and I'll probably know them all. lol  I've always been more into classic rock and blues than pop, though. I was never a big fan of '90s music. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I did worse than the teenagers!  lol  Give me an '80s music quiz and I'll probably know them all. lol  I've always been more into classic rock and blues than pop, though. I was never a big fan of '90s music.

Similar results here, I was actually surprised I couldn't name the band playing Blackhole sun,but I remember the video,I found it so cool,was one of my favorites back then. Marky Mark was easy,I had a crush on the New Kids on the Block,he was collateral damage. In these years I was mostly listening to German rock and punk,the result would be much better there.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

No Nirvana, no Pearl Jam AND they flunked Soundgarden.

I fear for the culture.

If it makes you feel better, I didn't know half the songs outside of pop and a few hip-hop songs from the 90's, I also dislike that they did not include more mainstream Rock songs, like Savage Garden, Goo Goo Dolls, and Matchbox Twenty (Seriously, Ska is not the same.)

As for the teens of today and 90's kids like me and Method, Spice Girls really are a great touchstone group for generations of pop listeners across the world (I also unabashly have their movie)

I was astonished that no one knew that Whitney Houston sang I Will Always Love You.  I remember that song being HUGE when I was younger.  (The additional fact that everyone thought it was Celine Dion hurts too).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To be honest here, I knew a lot of these songs and artists. It is amusing to see that these teens don't have similar knowledge. But I was raised by some very music centric parents, so in turn I know more. :P

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was born in '93 and I know all of those songs. I use to rock out to all the 90's rock and be in my feelings. the other pop songs I just don't get how they didn't know. I mean those songs are everywhere.

Now, everyone allow me to freak out about how old some of these teens look. I'm 22 and half of these kids look older than me...now I see why I get carded when I go out.

Edited by W.E_Rosenthal
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

90s music all seems brand new to me.

*cries*

There is an idiom in Hungarian, that says for a newborn is every joke new. (Is there an equivalent in English?) Proof in your case: newborns cry quite often :D you can not know these songs,you are much too young! <3

• Haha 1

There is an idiom in Hungarian, that says for a newborn is every joke new. (Is there an equivalent in English?) Proof in your case: newborns cry quite often :D you can not know these songs,you are much too young! <3

You flatterer you! :wub:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was raised by a dad who loves 80/90's alternative music so I know it well. He still plays them on CD's in his car. I think for us it's nostalgic of good times growing up. So it's still good to hear sometimes. My boyfriend is from Iran and for an odd reason he likes older country music. He says he heard it in English classes where they played it because it is slower and easy to understand somehow. So he listened to it a lot on his own. I don't know, but it drives me crazy when he plays it in the car. I'm learning to be ok with it.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...