W.a.r. By Jeff Wilson (Jkwsquirrel)

Well well!  If you haven't yet, check out the latest writer Improve and Encourage blog:

Pretty cool.  I'm very grateful to Cole Matthews for the time he took and the very kind thoughts on the story.  Very appreciative!  Now then... Melodramatic?  My characters? Ha ha!  Parts one and two were nothing.  Wait until Brett tells Dustin he's glad his parents abuse him in part 4!  I think some of you still hate me for that one!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Well well!  If you haven't yet, check out the latest writer Improve and Encourage blog:

Pretty cool.  I'm very grateful to Cole Matthews for the time he took and the very kind thoughts on the story.  Very appreciative!  Now then... Melodramatic?  My characters? Ha ha!  Parts one and two were nothing.  Wait until Brett tells Dustin he's glad his parents abuse him in part 4!  I think some of you still hate me for that one!

I hate you for what you did to Dustin overall, but not for what Brett said in particular.  Everything in Part 4 was building up to this, and we all knew it was coming.  It was also very in character for Brett, and by then we all knew he wasn't above doing this sort of thing.  If he had just said that out of the blue without any previous animosity with Dustin, I'd be really angry about it, but in this case I can at least understand why he said that in the heat of the moment.  It was still a dick move, but it's not like Dustin was any better either, and I'm not excusing either of them for the way they acted.

• Like 1

Well, Dustin got his revenge in the end.  Brett's response to getting destroyed by Dustin is really his crowning moment.  He knows what he did to Dustin was cruel and just added to Dustin's pain.  That he was able to sincerely apologize to Dustin after everything that happened shows the kind of man he's becoming.  His heartbroken moment staring at the blood stained carpet...  His mother secretly paying for Dustin's rehab...  His fake little "fuck him then" when Dustin didn't want any more visitors...  All signs that Brett is no longer the boy he was in the earlier chapters.  No one ever said growing up is easy!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there!

Just a little note to let you all know that I'm still alive!  I'm enjoying the break from weekly chapter updates, and the batteries are recharging!  I'm getting a bit of writing for Part Six of WAR done, but I'm not rushing it.  Would you like a little sneak peek from chapter one?  If so, have a look:

From Commencement Chapter One - Paula's Pride and Joy

“Brett, you know I want to but…”

“But you can’t.  Because you’re a gutless coward.”

Brett stood up from the table.  He shook his head in disappointment.

“I’m not hiding anymore.  Something has to change.  Either you grow a set and stop hiding or I’m going to have to find someone who isn’t ashamed to be with me.  I’m not doing this shit for another year.  It’s humiliating.”

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

The worst part of Billy being a “gutless coward” is that their relationship is probably the worst kept secret in Denora.  Billy is trying to hide something that everyone seems to know.  I can’t wait to see what precipitated this outburst. Brett is generally not the kind to issue ultimatums like this. Enjoy your break Jeff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, glennish said:

The worst part of Billy being a “gutless coward” is that their relationship is probably the worst kept secret in Denora.  Billy is trying to hide something that everyone seems to know.  I can’t wait to see what precipitated this outburst. Brett is generally not the kind to issue ultimatums like this. Enjoy your break Jeff. 

And he's stupid enough to think no one knows about it, that's the real worst part.  And even if they do know, no one seems to really care when you think about it.  I almost wish the next thing that happens is for Billy to start making out with Brett right in front of Jack McKenzie.  I wonder what Mr. Father-of-the-Year would think of that!

But seriously, I think this will, as usual, prompt Billy to do something bold and stupid that he'll come to regret later.  Guess he still hasn't learned anything after all...

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Shadow086 said:

But seriously, I think this will, as usual, prompt Billy to do something bold and stupid that he'll come to regret later.  Guess he still hasn't learned anything after all...

Like take Brett to the Prom? I don't think anyone is ready for that in Denora! I think they’re just something everyone whispers about behind closed doors…  ;-)

17 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Like take Brett to the Prom? I don't think anyone is ready for that in Denora! I think they’re just something everyone whispers about behind closed doors…  ;-)

The school won't let them, and both Bs are going to go on a rampage when they find out. :)

No, we're not quite there yet.  Based on the title, I'd say this is reaching a point where Billy has to choose between his boyfriend and helping Paula keep her precious reputation intact.  I don't think Paula has much of a chance on this one, and I see another heated argument between the Roberts.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Shadow086 said:

Maybe something bold but not stupid.  Brett might just be goading Billy on. Like Dr. Reilly said Brett does like to push peoples buttons and threatening to leave is a giant red button to push on Billy. 

• Like 3
On 10/13/2017 at 4:37 PM, glennish said:

Maybe something bold but not stupid.  Brett might just be goading Billy on. Like Dr. Reilly said Brett does like to push peoples buttons and threatening to leave is a giant red button to push on Billy. 

That's true, but threatening to leave might cause Billy to panic, and Billy does stupid things when he panics.  But I don't think Brett's goading Billy on, I think he's genuinely tired of Billy's running away in his glass closet.

• Like 3

It's coming together.  Oh how delightful!  It's those little moments of clarity that allow the words to flow and produce something so tragic and beautiful at the same time.  Oh, this is going to be fun.  War is coming...

From: Commencement - Chapter Four - Like Father, Like Son

"You did this to me, you son of a bitch!  You fucking did this to me!   ...All the times I wanted to be just like you, and now I am!"

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, jkwsquirrel said:

It's coming together.  Oh how delightful!  It's those little moments of clarity that allow the words to flow and produce something so tragic and beautiful at the same time.  Oh, this is going to be fun.  War is coming...

"You did this to me, you son of a bitch!  You fucking did this to me!   ...All the times I wanted to be just like you, and now I am!"

This seems like a Dustin moment. Just the tone alone. The only other person who could have this much hatred would be Brett

• Like 3
1 minute ago, jkwsquirrel said:

I am thinking either Jack and Joey. Or Dustin and Frank. 

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 8:19 AM, jkwsquirrel said:

December 1, we commence.

One more week of waiting and the next book will commence!!!!!  Would it be terribly wrong to start a countdown????

Edited by glennish
  • Haha 1