W.a.r. By Jeff Wilson (Jkwsquirrel)

13 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Obviously, every single Jeff Wilson in the world is listed on Wikipedia. I’m trying to figure out if our Jkwsquirrel is a Canadian politician, an American professor and ‘academic dumpster diver’, or a former contestant on Survivor: Palau. I can’t imagine him as an English footballer, a New Zealand rugby and cricket player, a British auto racing driver, or a past member of the band Nachtmystium.  ;-)

I'm not that famous.  :ph34r:

• Haha 3

There was a report picked up by the local Bay Area station from a Sacramento station on the ski season in the Sierras. People are skiing in 50°F (10°C) temperatures on a minimum of 12” of man-made snow at Boreal. The Meteorologist said he went surfing in the morning and will be skiing tomorrow!  ;-)

This is why people just won’t stop moving to the Golden State!  ;-)

Edited by Former Member
21 hours ago, droughtquake said:

There was a report picked up by the local Bay Area station from a Sacramento station on the ski season in the Sierras. People are skiing in 50°F (10°C) temperatures on a minimum of 12” of man-made snow at Boreal. The Meteorologist said he went surfing in the morning and will be skiing tomorrow!  ;-)

This is why people just won’t stop moving to the Golden State!  ;-)

Makes sense why people would risk the fires and earthquakes.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, glennish said:

1) William Roberts

2) Anthony Rielly

3)

4)

5)

6)

resistance.png?w=664&h=775

Haven't read the chapter yet, but I'll add the Vanilla Douche to that list.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Billy keeps solving one problem by creating another, doesn't he?

Spoiler

Bringing up Brett's father

was a terrible idea that's going to blow up in his face before he knows what hit him.

I wonder what Paula thinks she's doing by keeping Brett away from her house?  It's not like the whole town doesn't know they're having sex, and she can't stop them from having PDA at school or in other places.  She's wasting her time and she should know that by now.

I'm just waiting for the day when she gets Billy so riled up he starts spilling all the town secrets he's been keeping quiet about.  These two are too hot-headed for that not to happen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

I wonder what Paula thinks she's doing by keeping Brett away from her house?  It's not like the whole town doesn't know they're having sex, and she can't stop them from having PDA at school or in other places.  She's wasting her time and she should know that by now.

People like Paula still believe that Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell actually makes sense. Paula has her head buried in the sand and she wants Billy to cooperate with her pretense. If she pretends that Billy’s not Gay, she can hold her head up among all the other hypocrites at her church.  ;-)

21 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

People like Paula still believe that Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell actually makes sense. Paula has her head buried in the sand and she wants Billy to cooperate with her pretense. If she pretends that Billy’s not Gay, she can hold her head up among all the other hypocrites at her church.  ;-)

Don't Ask, Don't Tell stops working the moment you Tell, but I guess she forgot that part.  I know that's why she wanted him to cooperate, but he publicly outed himself to the entire town.  Does she really think her church buddies will magically forget about that part?  The only thing they'll do is pressure her to kick Billy out like the Dear Leader did to his own son.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Shadow086 said:

Don't Ask, Don't Tell stops working the moment you Tell, but I guess she forgot that part.  I know that's why she wanted him to cooperate, but he publicly outed himself to the entire town.  Does she really think her church buddies will magically forget about that part?  The only thing they'll do is pressure her to kick Billy out like the Dear Leader did to his own son.

Believers have faith that their fairytales are true. Their ‘holy’ book is filled with unlikely or impossible events. If they can believe in those fantasies, how difficult is it to ‘magically forget about that part’?  ;-)

7 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

What about Dustin?

I have no doubts that eventually Dustin will be on the list..  Just like I have a weird feeling that Joey will be there too.  When Brett talked about "Reilly" being a mask, I think that "asshole Joey Mackenzie" is a mask that he wears to keep the peace at home.   I don't think that Joey is as big a douche as he seems.  There may be some serious stuff to come out about him, judging by his emotional reactions at times.  But I may be waaaayyyyy off base here, those are just my nerdish theories..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, Shadow086 said:

Billy keeps solving one problem by creating another, doesn't he?

Hide contents

Bringing up Brett's father

was a terrible idea that's going to blow up in his face before he knows what hit him.

I'm just waiting for the day when she gets Billy so riled up he starts spilling all the town secrets he's been keeping quiet about.  These two are too hot-headed for that not to happen.

It's funny how Billy likes to fish around for info without giving away what he knows.  I think he knows that Jack can't really hurt him at this point, but he's withheld the truth from Brett for so long that he's afraid the reaction will be the same as when Dustin found out he was hold back on him.  He lost Dustin for a year because of his inability to come clean until it was too late.  And while he may not be as fearful of Jack as he once was, there's still Brett's mom, who very earnestly pleaded with him not to tell Brett the truth.

As for Paula - She's trying to hold on to two diametrically opposed people, her son and her pastor.

• Like 2
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, droughtquake said:

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.  Billy does the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:33 AM, glennish said:

I have no doubts that eventually Dustin will be on the list..  Just like I have a weird feeling that Joey will be there too.  When Brett talked about "Reilly" being a mask, I think that "asshole Joey Mackenzie" is a mask that he wears to keep the peace at home.   I don't think that Joey is as big a douche as he seems.  There may be some serious stuff to come out about him, judging by his emotional reactions at times.  But I may be waaaayyyyy off base here, those are just my nerdish theories..

What I like about Joey (and I do like Joey, believe it or not) is that he's not your typical 'bad guy' character.  He's the hero of his own story, and Billy is the villain of that story.  Everything he says to Billy is true in his own mind.  He has done some terrible things and he knows it.  But he always thinks he's doing the right thing, even if it's not a good thing.  I think that's what makes him such a good foil to Billy.  They both believe they are justified in their actions.  It'd be interesting to see the story told from Joey's point of view.  Billy would probably be one of the most hated characters imaginable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm getting ready to respond to the comments on the latest chapter.  That's always a highlight of my writing experience.  I love love love the way we can interact and talk about the story.  It's always interesting to get the different perspectives that the comments bring.  Sometimes, you see things that I hadn't even noticed!  It all helps me to think more deeply about how the story is going, and where it is going to all end up.

So what was my perspective on this chapter?  Well, I really liked this one.  It was a 'slice of life' one, covering a lot of territory.  We had Brett's reaction to the last chapter, the car ride with Joey, the hallway kiss, the cafeteria conversation, the argument with Miss Winston, Brett's "Reilly" mask, and then Billy fishing for info from Brett about his father.  There was a lot of stuff, and I was interested in what areas different readers were drawn to.  Personally, my favorite moment in the chapter was the public kiss in the hallway.  It was a nice reversal of the boys' first kiss, this time with Brett silencing a ranting Billy.  You could tell Brett had waited a looooong time to finally be able to do that, and I loved the reactions of Billy and Emily.  I also really liked that we are getting back to classic 'snarky Billy' instead of 'brooding miserable Billy.'  One of the fun things about writing Billy is his sarcastic sense of humor, even in the way he narrates certain things.  He tries to be so serious, but Brett's "I don't give a fuck" attitude won't let him be.  This chapter also had some of my favorite Brett 'little moments.'  I loved his surprise at the ending of Romeo and Juliet, and the fact that he'd written a book report without finishing the book.  I loved his comment after the kiss, "Now they have something to talk about."  I like how he still steals Billy's food in the cafeteria and his self-satisfied little smirk when he's right about something.  But what I really liked about Brett in this chapter was the maturity he displayed.  It turns out that he really does give a fuck, and he's becoming a better man because of it.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, jkwsquirrel said:

What I like about Joey (and I do like Joey, believe it or not) is that he's not your typical 'bad guy' character.  He's the hero of his own story, and Billy is the villain of that story.  Everything he says to Billy is true in his own mind.  He has done some terrible things and he knows it.  But he always thinks he's doing the right thing, even if it's not a good thing.  I think that's what makes him such a good foil to Billy.  They both believe they are justified in their actions.  It'd be interesting to see the story told from Joey's point of view.  Billy would probably be one of the most hated characters imaginable.

I agree.

Billy would not have been a friend of mine had he grown up in the same town. I find him very annoying and weak of character. Not a good combination in my book.

Joey could have been, but I would have teased him relentlessly about his church going parents. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Freerider said:

I agree.

Billy would not have been a friend of mine had he grown up in the same town. I find him very annoying and weak of character. Not a good combination in my book.

Joey could have been, but I would have teased him relentlessly about his church going parents. 

Even though he’s a bigoted prick?  What with your professed “flower child” mentality I have a hard time seeing that haha.  

I knew several Joey’s growing up and I’m sure they had their issues - I just had no time or inclination to care.  The most important thing was they tried to make me miserable so...I returned the favor with gusto.

4 hours ago, jkwsquirrel said:

The best characters are complicated.  Billy would certainly be the bad guy of a “Joey” story - though I suspect the ingrained homophobia from Joey’s side would prevent him from becoming a sympathetic character haha.  Because aside from Billy’s snark, that’s what triggered Joey’s targeting him - he pinged his gaydar.  

Unless it was for a super Christian audience then Billy would be the perfect villain - the evil gay trying to corrupt Joey’s troubled friend/half brother. 

Edited by Israfil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1