Do I Sound Gay?

Hey y'all,

I've recently found an interesting documentary on Youtube to share to everyone. It's about the "gay lisp" or the "feminine voice" that often people depict as if whoever has that trait is gay.

Enjoy! 

• Like 5

I am at the short strokes of my bandwidth so I can't watch this right now (later perhaps), but regarding: I didn't know I had the 'fem' voice until I heard a reaction I had at Pride this year in a video I'd taped of a particular entry. I literally said 'Ohhh, I Love it!!!"

I sounded SO gay! Hehehehehe!

So, to all of you straight folks out there that think we put this on...actually no, we don't. I don't even hear myself when I talk. I just sound 'normal' to me! :P

• Like 5

I am at the short strokes of my bandwidth so I can't watch this right now (later perhaps), but regarding: I didn't know I had the 'fem' voice until I heard a reaction I had at Pride this year in a video I'd taped of a particular entry. I literally said 'Ohhh, I Love it!!!"

So, to all of you straight folks out there that think we put this on...actually no, we don't. I don't even hear myself when I talk. I just sound 'normal' to me! :P

You are soooo cool, MrM!

• Like 2

I actually saw this documentary on Netflix months ago and I found it interesting. This documentary can be used to educate those 'straight folks' out there that think this is an act.

This topic reminds me of Little Richard. In the 1950's, not only was it hard being a black man, but could you imagine being black and gay? He wore makeup long before the likes of Alice Cooper and Kiss and spoke and performed songs with a feminine flair. This was at a time when so called race music was considered the devil's music. During a time in our history when black men were being strung up down South just for being black, do you think Little Richard would purposely speak in a feminine tone? Of course not! So how could anyone think that a gay man's tone of voice is an act?

And I agree with Mikiesboy...you are sooo cool Mr.M!  :P

I actually saw this documentary on Netflix months ago and I found it interesting. This documentary can be used to educate those 'straight folks' out there that think this is an act.

This topic reminds me of Little Richard. In the 1950's, not only was it hard being a black man, but could you imagine being black and gay? He wore makeup long before the likes of Alice Cooper and Kiss and spoke and performed songs with a feminine flair. This was at a time when so called race music was considered the devil's music. During a time in our history when black men were being strung up down South just for being black, do you think Little Richard would purposely speak in a feminine tone? Of course not! So how could anyone think that a gay man's tone of voice is an act?

And I agree with Mikiesboy...you are sooo cool Mr.M!  :P

That is the d@mn truth about Little Richard, bless his soul.

Oh and ....thank you sthooo much RJ!

I saw it on the big screen in the Castro Theatre during Frameline39. I thought it was interesting, but as far as I know, I don't speak that way. (If anything, people incorrectly hear 'college educated.')

It seems to me that many young Gay men adopt the speech patterns and intonations when they move into Gay ghettoes like The Castro as a way of fitting into the Gay community. It's a form of code-switching.

I saw it on the big screen in the Castro Theatre during Frameline39. I thought it was interesting, but as far as I know, I don't speak that way. (If anything, people incorrectly hear 'college educated.')

It seems to me that many young Gay men adopt the speech patterns and intonations when they move into Gay ghettoes like The Castro as a way of fitting into the Gay community. It's a form of code-switching.

That's interesting. But, suppose someone who hasn't been in intact with the Castro and still have that feminine voice. What causes it? 

I'm obviously not an expert, but I don't hear it. And anyway:

14522855_185999975169983_877064683383996

Well...maybe I'm the only one that can hear it. Oh well...

• 2 years later...

I watched the documentary "Do I Sound Gay?" (2015) over three years ago and find it very interesting, entertaining, and amusing. It saddens me when I hear that a portion of our "community" think that the ones who are more flamboyant are damaging or ruining the image of homosexual men in general. Thanks to the ones who could not "hide" who they were is because we have the rights that we have now. I could speak about this subject for hours, but it really makes me furious just to think about it. Anyway, the documentary is fascinating, give it a shot if you can, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Solivagant said:

It saddens me when I hear that a portion of our "community" think that the ones who are more flamboyant are damaging or ruining the image of homosexual men in general.

Sounds a lot like internalised homophobia to me. Isn't the whole point of the LGBTQ+ to be ourselves? I am what I am, and all that? Sad when people criticise that in some attempt to conform. These are the same kinds of people who erase bisexuals and transpeople from the movement, like we don't belong as much as everyone else.

• Love 3
  • 3 months later...

This sort of fits here and I don’t want to search any further (or start yet another short-lived Topic):

tumblr_pmuyv2Czjv1xkeg5ko1_540.jpg

“He’s Ken’s buddy” and they even share a wardrobe! How deep in the Closet is Allan if we’ve never heard about him before? (Are Allan’s feet shaped for him to wear heels? Why has Allan left his jeans button unsnapped to ‘advertise’ his anatomically incorrect crotch? There’s nothing to show off!) But it explains why Barbie went after GI Joe and Ken never put up a fight – Ken is Barbie’s Gay best friend!  ;–)