Count As High As Possible Before A Mod/Admin Posts

Several languages do not have a specific word for 70

For example: French soixante-dix "sixty-ten"; Danish halvfjerds, short for halvfjerdsindstyve "three and a half score".

(For French, this is true only in France; other French-speaking regions such as Belgium, Switzerland, Aosta Valley and Jersey use septante.)

Any flat disc record, made between about 1898 and the late 1950s and playing at a speed of 78 revolutions per minute is called a "78" by collectors.

I still have a somewhat battered wind up gramophone for playing these discs in the loft somewhere. Something similar to the one shown below...

b3ea3b8bce52047685472534ece80c32.jpg

But I would love to get one of these classics...

812e8bf9b608e903f318fc4e25f40590.jpg

As a child we had an electric "radiogram" - the gramophone portion of which, although it rotated at 78 rpm, didn't actually need winding up. Something like this...

2224d66e86e8a549027c7d3177c0c5f5.jpg

Edited by Marty

In mathematics

79 is:

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, chris191070 said:

In mathematics

79 is:

Brilliant! You're going to have to explain a lot of that for me. :yes:

80 is the atomic number of mercury (meaning there are 80 protons in the nucleus of a mercury atom).

df20b5562900c6ed665887138a7004be.jpg

Oops! Wrong mercury! 

:gikkle:

81 is

In 1982, Maggie Thatcher told the nation that she had ordered the sinking of the Argentinian cruiser the General Belgrano in the South Atlantic in the name of the British people. Over 300 human beings lost their lives from that sinking, but Maggie showed not a single shred of compassion. I was born in England, still lived in England, but rang the Irish Embassy in London the following day to claim Irish citizenship on foot of the fact that my father was Irish. It was my way of saying "You didn't order it in my name, Mrs Thatcher."

84 is the atomic number of polonium.

Polonium was first discovered by 1898 by Marie and Pierre Curie, when it was extracted from the uranium ore pitchblende, and identified solely by its strong radioactivity: it was the first element to be so discovered.

Polonium was named after Marie Curie's homeland of Poland.

In military technology

• 85mm is a common caliber for cannons
  • SU-85 was a Soviet tank
  • TR-85 was a Romanian battle tank
  • Tu-85 was a prototype Soviet bomber
  • ASU-85 a Soviet self-propelled gun
  • CZ 85 is a Czech 9mm semiautomatic pistol
  • PT-85 is a Korean tank
  • 7.62 Tkiv 85 is a Finnish army rifle
  • HG 85 is a Swiss fragmentation grenade
  • Taurus Model 85, a 9mm revolver made in Brazil