Handsome Devil- a coming of age movie

3 hours ago, Ronyx said:

I attended a one-night showing of Handsome Devil last night. It takes place in an all-male boarding school in Ireland. San Diego Gay and Lesbian News calls it the gay feel-good movie of the year. If it comes to a theater in your area, I would highly recommend it.

http://sdgln.com/entertainment/2017/05/30/handsome-devil-gay-feel-good-movie-year

https://teaser-trailer.com/movie/handsome-devil/ 

Is it being shown at the Hillcrest Landmark? (I live walking distance so I might saunter over there and check it out. Looks good!)

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, MrM said:

Is it being shown at the Hillcrest Landmark? (I live walking distance so I might saunter over there and check it out. Looks good!)

The article said it would be at the Observatory- North Park in San Diego. It is an independent film that I believe is being shown only in independent theaters for a limited engagement. When I attended, it was for only one showing, and the theater was sold out. It was being shown to kick off our Pride weekend here.

• Like 1

Handsome Devil is being shown at Frameline41 at the Victoria Theater on Saturday, June 17th at 1:30, and again on Tuesday, June 20th at 9:15. On the one hand, the fact it is being shown in the Victoria indicates the festival programmers think there are either more significant movies to show or that there will be a smaller crowd attracted to this movie than for some of the others at the festival. On the other hand, it is being shown twice. (In the past, the festival has reserved two TBA spots for programs that sell out faster than expected or other reasons, but this year I only see one TBA. There are usually several programs that are shown twice, but usually they are shown in different theaters, one in SF and one in the East Bay.)

Since the movie is being shown in the Victoria, I won’t be seeing it and I won’t include it in my brief descriptions on the Frameline41 topic to be posted later. Frameline41 will be held in five venues (in San Francisco and Oakland). 147 films from 19 different countries will be shown during the 11 day festival.

A friend of mine writes a blog and as a journalist, has access to early views of many of the programs that will be shown at Frameline41. He has started to post his reviews. He’s much more serious and dedicated than I am – he actually takes notes, I try to rely on my poor memory and the Festival Program blurbs for my comments.

If you want a preview of the movies to be shown at the world’s oldest and largest LGBTQ Film Festival, check out his blog!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just watched this movie and enjoyed it quite a lot! Thank you for the recommendation. 

By the way, I am huge fan of your writing and have been following you for years on "The Mustard Jar." I cannot believe that you have not written anything new in four years, when you used to write at least one story a year since 2006 when you started. Anyway, I'm very happy that Gay Authors is now hosting your novels so that more people can discover your magnificent writing.

Thank you, again.

20 minutes ago, Solivagant said:

By the way, I am huge fan of your writing and have been following you for years on "The Mustard Jar." I cannot believe that you have not written anything new in four years, when you used to write at least one story a year since 2006 when you started.

I just remembered that you explained the reason why you were not writing at the time about three years ago, and it had something to do with a very difficult situation in your life that I won't discuss here. I wrote an email to you on November 15th, 2015, that I never sent (and still have) due to my having a difficult surgery around the same time. I was physically unable to do anything, and the healing process took about eight months. When I was physically able to do things by myself, it had been almost a year later so I figured that sending out the email would be inappropriate (at the time, I thought that my email would bring back awful memories so I chose not to send it out. Now I wish that I had done it).

I hope that things are doing much better for you. I honestly and sincerely love your writing, and I think that you're one of the best writers around who should have been published a long time ago. Your writing helped me through one of the most arduous, difficult, and terrible moments of my life and for that, I will be forever grateful to you. You're also an amazing person who do a lot of things for our Community. You're a treasure to be cherished. I wish you nothing, but the very best in life, which is what you deserve.