Gaming Systems  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What Major Gaming Systems do you Own?

• Xbox 360/One/X
    • Playstation 3/4/4 Pro
    • Nintendo Wii/Wii U/Switch
    • Gaming PC
  2. 2. What is your Game Machine of Choice?

• Site Administrator

What's your major gaming system of choice?

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I've got an Xbox 360, Xbox One X, a Nintendo Switch and a PC for gaming.  There is a big sale next week where I will get a Playstation 4 Pro to round out my game machine collection and finally solve that stupid "exclusive game" issue.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

I honestly can't say I have a major preference at this point.  I usually buy games on Xbox & PS4 depending on where friends plan to play.  Recently that's mainly been on PS4, so I have mainly been on that, but my (paid) game library is fairly balanced between the two.  Never owned a gaming pc, but in my very limited experience I'm not a very good keyboard/mouse player.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

PC gamer all the way here. Never owned any consoles growing up and the controllers make me nervous, lol! I got a Wii literally just for exercise, cause you will never get me to a gym, I refuse to work out in front of other people. All my 'proper' games are on PC. Looking into getting a PS4, though, cause there are some games I really want to play that are exclusive. I guess I'll just have to learn the controllers. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 6/2/2018 at 1:08 PM, Myr said:

I've got an Xbox 360, Xbox One X, a Nintendo Switch and a PC for gaming.  There is a big sale next week where I will get a Playstation 4 Pro to round out my game machine collection and finally solve that stupid "exclusive game" issue.

As you seem to be a Microsoft fan, what are your thoughts on the early details of Project Scarlett?  With a holiday 2020 release, we'll begin the new generation (though some could argue the Switch has already started that, but Nintendo tends to operate outside of the Sony/Microsoft battleground...to me at least).  Microsoft is going back to its roots with a Launch Halo title, and the specs look fairly impressive (on the surface).  Curious to see what Sony has in its next gen console, as well as the evolution of Google Stadia hitting the market this year.  Here's hoping for a successful new wave of hardware!

• Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Acid07 said:

what are your thoughts on the early details of Project Scarlett? 

It'll be interesting.  I am a Microsoft guy primarily, as far as games go.  So, I'll get the new scarlet when it comes out.  I'll get a PS5 as some point as well, because they will have some games in my 'must have' category.  Switch is great for relaxing, light stuff.

I won't touch Google Stadia with a 10 ft pole though.  I don't trust Google.  They'll probably shutdown their gaming service about 18 months in.  (like they do with pretty much everything else they start outside of search and advertising)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Myr said:

It'll be interesting.  I am a Microsoft guy primarily, as far as games go.  So, I'll get the new scarlet when it comes out.  I'll get a PS5 as some point as well, because they will have some games in my 'must have' category.  Switch is great for relaxing, light stuff.

I won't touch Google Stadia with a 10 ft pole though.  I don't trust Google.  They'll probably shutdown their gaming service about 18 months in.  (like they do with pretty much everything else they start outside of search and advertising)

Yeah, in the end, I'm sure I'll end up with both consoles in the next gen.  Unless they ever fully embrace crossplay (which isn't likely).  Guess I should finally plan to upgrade the TV for the next round too.  Sigh...

I'm not quite as against Google.  I'm less interested in games as a streaming service, but not simply based on Google's involvement.  I've been a fan of a lot of their products (both as an ISP and some of the physical products they manage), but I know not everyone has the same feelings on them.  I will be curious how it works out though.  It theoretically would work well with their Fiber infrastructure, as it would likely need solid speed and no data caps.  I'll probably watch it for a bit to see how it seems to be going before even considering the idea of buying in. 

• 4 weeks later...

I figure you guys are the ones to ask.

When iOS 13 is released, PS4 and Xbox Bluetooth controllers will work with iPhones and iPads. I’m just looking for a basic one, not the ultimate controller. One that’s well-supported (ie Sony or MS) would be best. Which game controller is better, PS4 or Xbox?

4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I figure you guys are the ones to ask.

When iOS 13 is released, PS4 and Xbox Bluetooth controllers will work with iPhones and iPads. I’m just looking for a basic one, not the ultimate controller. One that’s well-supported (ie Sony or MS) would be best. Which game controller is better, PS4 or Xbox?

I think Dualshock 4 is the better control for gaming, perhaps a little more durable. Older models had weaker rubber on its analog sticks, but it has been fixed with newer models. Generally the analogs can get slipper with clammy hands. In terms of comfort the Xbox is great. However, it is a lot noisier than the DS4. A big plus for the DS4 is it rechargeability. With the Xbox one you need to replace physical batteries. Save the world and do away with physical batteries. I don't understand why Microsoft are still using this feature. Personally I prefer the DS4. From a young a young age the Playstation has been my go to console. Though I think we have reached a point where they are equal contenders now, so it does not really matter as much anymore. This guy does a good breakdown of the pros and cons of each controller. I have connected the DS4 to an iMac and also a windows computer and they worth wonderfully, you just need to configure it in the settings. Xbox controller I cannot say however, though assuming it is Microsoft it has got to work.

Edited by D.K. Daniels
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, D.K. Daniels said:

I think Dualshock 4 is the better control for gaming, perhaps a little more durable.

Thank you! That’s the kind of information I was looking for. The fact it will also work with my MacBook Pro and Mac mini is a nice bonus…
;–)

• Site Administrator
10 hours ago, D.K. Daniels said:

In terms of comfort the Xbox is great.

I agree with that much.  I'm a primary Xbox player... my absolute worst complaint about Playstation 4 is how horribly god-awful their controllers are.  If you have big hands, which I do, the dualshock sucks horribly.

10 hours ago, D.K. Daniels said:

A big plus for the DS4 is it rechargeability. With the Xbox one you need to replace physical batteries. Save the world and do away with physical batteries. I don't understand why Microsoft are still using this feature.

This is incorrect.  The Xbox One Controller is Bi.  It can use a rechargeable battery pack OR batteries.  I've been using the rechargeable battery pack from the start.  This provides the consumer with maximum flexibility.  Including using rechargeable AA batteries if you don't want to get the battery pack.  And when the pack dies, and they do after a number of years, you can just get a new one instead of having to throw out your controller and replace it like what happens with PS4's Dualshock controller.

As for what works best for Mac and bluetooth?  I'd give advantage to Sony on this because they've been in the Bluetooth controller space longer.  I've had no troubles using the xbox controller with my various windows pcs though.

• Like 2

I have a PS3 and a PS4 along with my SNES classic.  I have them because I am archaic and buy blu rays.  Xbox cannot read and play them but Playstations can.  Also, I tend to just enjoy the playability on the PS3 and 4 along with the 2 I have in a box somewhere.  The SNES is just a nostalgia item I use to play some real old school games that takes me back to my youth.

• Haha 1
  • Site Administrator
7 hours ago, Jdonley75 said:

Xbox cannot read and play them but Playstations can. 

Ha Ha.  I enjoy watching my archaic 4k Blu Rays on my xbox.  You just can't get that quality audio and visual even with a 1 Gigabit fiber internet connection.

I also have the SNES Mini and NES mini for when I'm playing games from my youth. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/26/2019 at 8:51 PM, D.K. Daniels said:

I think Dualshock 4 is the better control for gaming, perhaps a little more durable. Older models had weaker rubber on its analog sticks, but it has been fixed with newer models. Generally the analogs can get slipper with clammy hands. In terms of comfort the Xbox is great. However, it is a lot noisier than the DS4. A big plus for the DS4 is it rechargeability. With the Xbox one you need to replace physical batteries. Save the world and do away with physical batteries. I don't understand why Microsoft are still using this feature. Personally I prefer the DS4. From a young a young age the Playstation has been my go to console. Though I think we have reached a point where they are equal contenders now, so it does not really matter as much anymore. This guy does a good breakdown of the pros and cons of each controller. I have connected the DS4 to an iMac and also a windows computer and they worth wonderfully, you just need to configure it in the settings. Xbox controller I cannot say however, though assuming it is Microsoft it has got to work.

Although I put more time in on my PS4, I definitely prefer the way an Xbox controller handles (so much so that I spent almost the same amount on my SCUF that feels like an Xbox controller as I did the console itself haha).  I don't recommend that for anyone just playing casually, but the extra paddles can be nice.  As @Myr mentioned, there are rechargeable options for Xbox controllers (though I've had the same recharge pack since I bought it 5+ years ago without any failure, but that's splitting time with my PS4).  Ultimately, it's a lot about how you like a controller to feel.  The Dualshock is compact, but the analog stick placements have never felt as good to me as an Xbox design (and I've had PS consoles since my childhood & the PS1).  I can use both controllers without issue, but definitely prefer the larger & different format that Microsoft uses.

All this talk about 4K does not have me looking forward to the massive wave of upgrades I'll need to make on the next generation.  I skipped upgrading to 4K, but if all of the new consoles are pushing 8K, it might be time to finally upgrade my system when the new generation emerges...

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
8 minutes ago, Acid07 said:

All this talk about 4K does not have me looking forward to the massive wave of upgrades I'll need to make on the next generation.  I skipped upgrading to 4K, but if all of the new consoles are pushing 8K, it might be time to finally upgrade my system when the new generation emerges...

4K is worth it.  I think 8k on console next year is a pipedream.  The Xbox One X, struggles to do 4k to what a PC can do on a mid-range graphic card these days.  I'd rather they focus on making what we have super fast and pretty.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:03 PM, Jdonley75 said:

I have a PS3 and a PS4 along with my SNES classic.  I have them because I am archaic and buy blu rays.  Xbox cannot read and play them but Playstations can.  Also, I tend to just enjoy the playability on the PS3 and 4 along with the 2 I have in a box somewhere.  The SNES is just a nostalgia item I use to play some real old school games that takes me back to my youth.

My NES was the first thing I ever saved up for and I bought when i was in elementary school.  I used it all the way through college, then my Dad "gave it to my cousin" which is Dad code for "threw it away".  I doubt I would still be able to play it, but I miss it.  I have a PS4 but I use it primarily for DVDs.  

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
22 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

I doubt I would still be able to play it, but I miss it.

I grabbed an NES Mini (And a super nes mini) when I had the chance for just that reason.  Though with Nintendo online, there are starting to release the old nintendo games on subscription on switch.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Myr said:

4K is worth it.  I think 8k on console next year is a pipedream.  The Xbox One X, struggles to do 4k to what a PC can do on a mid-range graphic card these days.  I'd rather they focus on making what we have super fast and pretty.

I feel like pipedream might be an exaggeration.  Given what Microsoft is already saying Scarlett will do (8K/120fps), I think they'd have a rather large fallout if they completely recanted on the things they announced at E3.  And if they didn't think it would be feasible to build, I can't imagine they'd be rushing to announce a console when Sony hasn't yet.  Now, whether game developers are utilizing it at launch is another story, but I feel like a downgrade from the early promises would not go over well, forcing Microsoft to build a machine capable of what they've announced.  And I'd expect the new Halo title, which is set to be the big launch title, stands a chance to be one they use to showcase whatever they can.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Myr said:

I like digital foundry when they dig into details. 

So much fun in there.  Though considering that I'm running original release consoles, even the elite/pro versions of the current generation have nicer specs than what I'm running now haha.  I do think it'll be curious how they differentiate themselves this round when so many of the initial release info seems comparable.  Xbox One was a much better media center than  PS4, but who knows what they'll do this round.  E3 2020 (among other conferences) should be quite a showcase...

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Acid07 said:

E3 2020 (among other conferences) should be quite a showcase...

Yes it should.  We'll know about both Sony and MS at that point.  I'm a MS first guy, since I went all digital this generation.  I have a huge library and with MS giving away 4 free games a month for years now.... my library is insane and they've already said it'll play in the next gen with backwards compatibility.  My only big sadness is that my favorite game type by far is single player and Sony almost owns that.  Though, alarmingly, they say they are moving away from that a bit in the next gen.  Though with all the studios MS has bought, Obsidian especially, there should be some great single players coming for Xbox.

You know, if I could just use my xbox controller on Playstation 4, I'd actually use the Playstation more.  Phenomenal games... world's worst controller with a ton of gibberish for help.  r1 r2 prompts... How the hell am I supposed to know what that is without stopping to look.  RT and RB are obvious.