The Drop in Centre

• Site Moderator

@MichaelS36 It was t recent, but I know these bars have been talked about in the past, and that they were well liked by you. I think base was a little wetter than Sasha’s, because I measured the honey not so well. Got a plan for next time, so it won’t happen again. It was too wet to do the finger press.

Also, we only have extra large eggs (they are smaller than they used to be) so I still used five. I’m thinking maybe four extra or five large (they’re also smaller than they used to be) would be better the next time I make them. Maybe that will make a difference. 

In the end, the lemon did set pretty well and it tastes good, so it’s okay, they don’t look as good as Sasha’s.

Getting it right is going to take a bit of practice. Good thing they’re delicious. 

PS: Yes, I had to cook the base longer. Next time, the base will not be doubled to see how that goes. I’m determined to do them justice. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

@MichaelS36 It was t recent, but I know these bars have been talked about in the past, and that they were well liked by you. I think base was a little wetter than Sasha’s, because I measured the honey not so well. Got a plan for next time, so it won’t happen again. It was too wet to do the finger press.

Also, we only have extra large eggs (they are smaller than they used to be) so I still used five. I’m thinking maybe four extra or five large (they’re also smaller than they used to be) would be better the next time I make them. Maybe that will make a difference. 

In the end, the lemon did set pretty well and it tastes good, so it’s okay, they don’t look as good as Sasha’s.

Getting it right is going to take a bit of practice. Good thing they’re delicious. 

PS: Yes, I had to cook the base longer. Next time, the base will not be doubled to see how that goes. I’m determined to do them justice. 

okay.. yeah, here are my thoughts. Unless I'm really positive i am right, i usually follow the recipe as is the first time around.

With oatmeal bases or cookies, mix them up and then give them ten minutes or so to firm up, and then put it in the pan or form them (if cookies).  It gives the oats time to soak up moisture and thicken a bit. It's easier to handle.   With Sasha's pumpkin loaf, i make it, put it in the pan and then let it sit while the oven heats up. Things seem to bake better that way, at least for me.

If you buy oat flour, then you have very fine flour. If you want to make your own you can in a food processor, which is what i used to do. I now use my blender, which gives me very fine flour much much closer to what you can buy. i use walmart's one kg bag of quick oats which is under $3.

Regarding eggs, i just use 5 large eggs which i get from metro. Their Selection ones. Nothing special. Using extra large will give you more liquid than the recipe requires. Not sure in this case it would matter. It will affect the baking time and flavour somewhat.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator

@Mikiesboy 

I forgot to let the oats sit 

I make my own oat flour, but I used a different food processor last time, so they were a bit coarser. I think, I’ll blend again them with the mini chopper which is my usual go to. 

I think you’re right about the eggs. I’ll use large next time. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Uh oh, science and me don't get along so well. :P 

I did learn from google that I should have used only four rather than five extra x-large eggs. Apparently, when a recipe calls for only one or two eggs, the size difference doesn’t matter. It does matter when the recipe calls for five eggs. Next time.

I had one at lunch today, and it was very tasty, so all was not lost with this first attempt. 

Other than burning, there are very few baking disasters that don't turn out tasty, and that's a good thing! 😁

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, spyke said:

Other than burning, there are very few baking disasters that don't turn out tasty, and that's a good thing! 😁

They’re getting tastier and tastier as the days pass and the flavours mellow. I certainly understand why @MichaelS36 likes them so much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

They’re getting tastier and tastier as the days pass and the flavours mellow. I certainly understand why @MichaelS36 likes them so much. 

18 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

Hmmm, maybe if I make a double batch they'll last long enough to get mellow. LOL 

Lemon-- yellow 

Yellow-- mellow 

Honestly, most anything lemon-y is pretty damn tasty. My personal favorite is Lemon merangue pie. I've never tried making it but it's a once in blue moon treat I'll buy for a special occasion. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, kbois said:

My personal favorite is Lemon merangue pie

Make one without the crust... or use an oat or nut crust .. but you can make it without crust to lower the calories and get all the lemony meringue flavour.   Or make Sasha's lemon bars for good but still pretty healthy. 

That's what i do with pumpkin pie. Really it's a pumpkin custard if you make it crustless. And we still have some whipped cream for those who want it.  I don't, not on PP.  But i'll put it on coffee!  :D

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Make one without the crust... or use an oat or nut crust .. but you can make it without crust to lower the calories and get all the lemony meringue flavour.   Or make Sasha's lemon bars for good but still pretty healthy. 

That's what i do with pumpkin pie. Really it's a pumpkin custard if you make it crustless. And we still have some whipped cream for those who want it.  I don't, not on PP.  But i'll put it on coffee!  :D

I'm not a big fan of traditional pie crust. I do love Graham cracker crust though. I'll have to try the oat crust one of these days. I haven't been doing too much cooking/baking lately. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

image.png.ec8ad444f08ad34abfddd79ee12785dd.png

I mostly agree with this, except you can travel to the Village of Happiness, which is in South Africa or the town of Happy in Texas.

Hope your day is passing peacefully.

So far today has been peaceful. I'm hoping it will remain so. Today is my younger son's 21st birthday. 

I have mixed feelings about it. While I'm happy for him, I'm also a bit leery. Considering everything we've gone through with him lately, having him reach the milestone of legal drinking age is worrisome. 

However, I can't control his actions nor take accountability for his decisions so I've come to terms with it. We're taking him out to dinner in a bit when my husband gets home from work. I'm hoping it will be a nice evening. We never know with him. 

So tonight my happy place is going to be a a table with a good pizza and a beer or two!

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, kbois said:

So tonight my happy place is going to be a a table with a good pizza and a beer or two!

i hope you all have a nice evening together

• Love 4
2 hours ago, 1brokNangel said:

We have been dealing with heat waves and the smoke from Canada, and NOW we are looking at very severe storms that could produce a possible tornado, which I hope it doesn't bc I'm currently dog and house sitting.

Storms I can deal with but not tornadoes.

I hope everyone is doing well. ❤️❤️

The smoke has been bad here in TO the last few days.   i hope for no tornados for you!  Take care.

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..