The Drop in Centre

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

It's so humid i wish it would snow!! LOL  I've just been frying a ton falafel.. i'm hot now.

Thanks for the turmeric info. I don’t have that, so I’m going to not worry about missing a pinch of it. I just left the kitchen, so I feel what you’re saying. Ice water helps. 

Oh, and watching the bunny eat the dandelions - tenacious, they are - made me smile, because that’s fewer weeds I have to deal with. That’s one downside of all this rain. Weeds grow like, well weeds, and the soil is too wet to pull them out. Oh well…

• Love 1
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

i am gonna make us this ... Maybe for Michael's birthday in September.. it looks amazing and the crust sounds delicious..

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/keto-blueberry-jamboree/

image.png.44f662cb19ee1f8d06e8cd079f7f10c1.png

Looks sooo good!

My nephew love’s blueberries, so maybe I’ll make this for his birthday in August. Need to check and see what his mom is thinking of making, mind you. 

Edit: Just saw the recipe has nuts in it. Nephew is allergic, so unless I can make it nut free, it’s a no go. Will investigate alternatives…

Edited by Reader1810
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Looks sooo good!

My nephew love’s blueberries, so maybe I’ll make this for his birthday in August. Need to check and see what his mom is thinking of making, mind you. 

Edit: Just saw the recipe has nuts in it. Nephew is allergic, so unless I can make it nut free, it’s a no go. Will investigate alternatives…

Use sasha's oat base for the lemon bars .. that would work, just bake it a bit more before adding the cheese filling.

• Love 2
  • Site Moderator
12 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Use sasha's oat base for the lemon bars .. that would work, just bake it a bit more before adding the cheese filling.

That’s what I was thinking, too. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

i am gonna make us this ... Maybe for Michael's birthday in September.. it looks amazing and the crust sounds delicious..

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/keto-blueberry-jamboree/

image.png.44f662cb19ee1f8d06e8cd079f7f10c1.png

I'm not a blueberry fan but this made me think of guava and cheese pastelitos.  Idk why since it looks nothing like it lol. 

Alas here in southern Ohio I can't find A single bakery that makes them.  Maybe I'll investigate some of the smaller Hispanic bakeries, they don't have much online presence but they're the most likely to have such a treat 

Edited by Starrynight22
Because I forgot how to spell guava
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

'm not a blueberry fan but this made me think of guava and cheese pastelitos.  Idk why since it looks nothing like it lol. 

i like blueberries, but you could use what you like.. strawberries, peaches ... whatever fruit you want, or no fruit.

oh, the pastelitos (and sound) delish... i hope you find some, or make some.  Frozen puff pastry is good and easy to use.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

i like blueberries, but you could use what you like.. strawberries, peaches ... whatever fruit you want, or no fruit.

oh, the pastelitos (and sound) delish... i hope you find some, or make some.  Frozen puff pastry is good and easy to use.

Yeah if I can't find them ready made I'm fairly sure the international store has some guava paste I can use to make them myself with puff pastry.  Good thought tim!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, rickproehl said:

Excuse me Good Sirs and DiC friends.

Monday funny we all need a laugh.

“I finally did it! I bought a new pair of shoes with memory foam insoles. No more forgetting why I walked in a room.”

Have a Good Week

LOL..  that's a good one, thanks for sharing!

• Love 2

Today started with some incredibly loud thunder boomers waking me up at 5am. Alarm is set for 5:30. You couldn't wait a half hour Mother Nature? 🤨

It cooled the air for all of a nanosecond and then all the moisture on the ground created a nice sauna for the rest of the day. 

Cia did a great job putting together the Secret Author contest. I read all the stories. A few were really difficult to get through (for various reasons, but that's just me). 

I really like these challenges. It gives me a chance to read something I may not have given a glance at otherwise. It also gives authors a chance to try new things, maybe a format or genre they haven't done before. As the word count is limited, it's a good way to test the waters without having to commit to anything in depth. 

It's just another reason why I'm glad I found this site. 

Have a good night everyone!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Warning, rant ahead.

If you are not in the mood, skip ahead!

Had a lady call me to pick up a horse in NY a couple weeks ago. She was quite happy with the cost quote, and horse was delivered to her backyard barn, no issues.

She calls me again a week later, asking for a quote to pick up a mare in southern Virginia, a 6+ hour drive each way. That makes the run a 2 day  deal. Drive down Saturday, pick up horse Sunday. I charge half the price of the lodgings on a 2 day run. I also charge for estimated toll money, and if I find a route that can cut tolls, I return any unused toll allowance. If tolls go over what I estimate, I eat it, do not charge extra.  I give her a quote, explaining again how I set prices.  She hems and haws at the cost. 

I don't hear from her for 2 weeks and assume she has decided on either going for the mare herself or hired another hauler.

Today I get a text asking if I will take 20% off my price.   I am not in this to get rich. I know horse ownership is expensive. My prices are set as low as possible to still make a small profit. Cutting 20% means I lose money. I apologize, but explain I can't run a business at a loss. She freaks. Calls me greedy, and says I am preventing her kid from getting the new show horse she has fallen in love with.

Umm, no, feel free to hire someone else and please lose my number.

Rant over.  I'm going back to watching the t-storms roll through.

Don't you wish you could just crack open their brass balls with a set of brass knuckles? The sheer audacity of people. SMH. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
3 hours ago, kbois said:

Today started with some incredibly loud thunder boomers waking me up at 5am. Alarm is set for 5:30. You couldn't wait a half hour Mother Nature? 🤨

It cooled the air for all of a nanosecond and then all the moisture on the ground created a nice sauna for the rest of the day. 

Cia did a great job putting together the Secret Author contest. I read all the stories. A few were really difficult to get through (for various reasons, but that's just me). 

I really like these challenges. It gives me a chance to read something I may not have given a glance at otherwise. It also gives authors a chance to try new things, maybe a format or genre they haven't done before. As the word count is limited, it's a good way to test the waters without having to commit to anything in depth. 

It's just another reason why I'm glad I found this site. 

Have a good night everyone!

There were some great stories.  Different levels of quality for sure.  But this place isn't for professional authors. It's for everyone. i'm not directing this at you kbois, just saying generally.

Some of the comments about the writer's immaturity and style etc., bothered me. If you want free online work, you can read, be quiet. If you want a professionally edited, polished publication, then put your money where your mouth is. Or maybe reach out with some generosity and offer decent, thoughtful feedback.

Not sure how i feel about picking a 'winner'.  i don't think that's necessary. i think it's just fun to try and figure out who wrote what, though i'm crap at it.   LOL  Maybe they thought they'd get more people to join in if there was a prize.

But whatever, I'll be happy for whoever wins.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Kitt said:

Warning, rant ahead.

If you are not in the mood, skip ahead!

Had a lady call me to pick up a horse in NY a couple weeks ago. She was quite happy with the cost quote, and horse was delivered to her backyard barn, no issues.

She calls me again a week later, asking for a quote to pick up a mare in southern Virginia, a 6+ hour drive each way. That makes the run a 2 day  deal. Drive down Saturday, pick up horse Sunday. I charge half the price of the lodgings on a 2 day run. I also charge for estimated toll money, and if I find a route that can cut tolls, I return any unused toll allowance. If tolls go over what I estimate, I eat it, do not charge extra.  I give her a quote, explaining again how I set prices.  She hems and haws at the cost. 

I don't hear from her for 2 weeks and assume she has decided on either going for the mare herself or hired another hauler.

Today I get a text asking if I will take 20% off my price.   I am not in this to get rich. I know horse ownership is expensive. My prices are set as low as possible to still make a small profit. Cutting 20% means I lose money. I apologize, but explain I can't run a business at a loss. She freaks. Calls me greedy, and says I am preventing her kid from getting the new show horse she has fallen in love with.

Umm, no, feel free to hire someone else and please lose my number.

Rant over.  I'm going back to watching the t-storms roll through.

Wow. That's incredible. i can relate re my job and entitled idiots. Sometimes the bank will pay for a debit on the cust account rather than return the item.  The cust moans about the $5 handling fee. I explain it's $5 or $48 for returning.  They still want the $5 back.  If they ask more than once i tell them to go to the branch, where they'll get a slap in the hed and a boot out the door.

Sick of these miserly, miserable people who think you owe them something.

You're so right Kitt. i hope she loses your phone number and she looks at herself good and hard.. I know that's unlikely.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

There were some great stories.  Different levels of quality for sure.  But this place isn't for professional authors. It's for everyone. i'm not directing this at you kbois, just saying generally.

Some of the comments about the writer's immaturity and style etc., bothered me. If you want free online work, you can read, be quiet. If you want a professionally edited, polished publication, then put your money where your mouth is. Or maybe reach out with some generosity and offer decent, thoughtful feedback.

Not sure how i feel about picking a 'winner'.  i don't think that's necessary. i think it's just fun to try and figure out who wrote what, though i'm crap at it.   LOL  Maybe they thought they'd get more people to join in if there was a prize.

But whatever, I'll be happy for whoever wins.

Some of the comments bothered me too. I don't know why people feel it necessary to publicly cut down someone's work. Especially an amateur writer. Most of us were taught that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. 

I'm looking forward to seeing who wrote what because I've given up trying to figure it out. I think I know one. That's all. I'd rather start stressing about the anthology. Two and a half months to figure something out and get it written. I have a few ideas. It's making one of them stick that's the issue. Right now I've got a bunch of things floating around my head with no one directing the traffic. Total chaos. Lol.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, kbois said:

Some of the comments bothered me too. I don't know why people feel it necessary to publicly cut down someone's work. Especially an amateur writer. Most of us were taught that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. 

I'm looking forward to seeing who wrote what because I've given up trying to figure it out. I think I know one. That's all. I'd rather start stressing about the anthology. Two and a half months to figure something out and get it written. I have a few ideas. It's making one of them stick that's the issue. Right now I've got a bunch of things floating around my head with no one directing the traffic. Total chaos. Lol.

Some of the comments have been downright rude. If there's any new authors in the contest (unlikely), it could put them off writing any more.

I hope when the authors are aloud to make comments, they address these complaints accordingly.

Some amazing stories, a few difficult to read. I think I know 3, possibly 4 of the authors.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Some of the comments have been downright rude. If there's any new authors in the contest (unlikely), it could put them off writing any more.

I hope when the authors are aloud to make comments, they address these complaints accordingly.

Some amazing stories, a few difficult to read. I think I know 3, possibly 4 of the authors.

Thank you, chris.  It's sad honestly. i think if i was new and reading these i'm not so sure i'd want to post anything. Like we do this for free.. too often no one leaves a comment or even a like.. i sure dont have 87000 of them on Changes!  LOL

i appreciate readers like you ...  i like writing and sharing.. a bit of feedback is nice .. we dont get book sales, and money to tell us how we did.  all we have is you clicking like, commenting and or reviewing and readers get the benefit of our efforts and our teams' as well, sorry if that's too much to ask. Not you chris, gosh you get the prize for most faithful reader i think. 

There are better writers than me, i know that, it's cool. But i think i still manage to tell a good tale. That's how everyone should feel.. not be afraid to post their work. 

• Love 3
On 7/18/2023 at 6:51 PM, Kitt said:

Today I get a text asking if I will take 20% off my price.   I am not in this to get rich. I know horse ownership is expensive. My prices are set as low as possible to still make a small profit. Cutting 20% means I lose money. I apologize, but explain I can't run a business at a loss. She freaks. Calls me greedy, and says I am preventing her kid from getting the new show horse she has fallen in love with

Really?  That's just incredible. You're better off without her. 

• Like 3
On 7/19/2023 at 2:29 PM, Mikiesboy said:

That's how everyone should feel.. not be afraid to post their work.

Exactly.  People are here to celebrate and share their talents and ideas. We don't need to slap people down.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Good morning all.  Hope it's starting out nice wherever  you are.  

It's a hot one here (everywhere around me. Heat wave in the US )

Tomorrow I am working a table at the county fair to talk about the mental health and addiction recovery services available in the county 

What do you all have going on next week? 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

What do you all have going on next week?

Work only for the most part.  i have at least two stories that i am still trying to finish. One is at ch 22, with at least one more to go ...the other is a shorter one at about 6 chapters.. just need to finish it off. It might work for the leap of faith anthology.. see if i can get it finished and edited by then.

No more dental appointments until sept 5th..so still have a hole in my head. August has a long weekend and a family reunion and then my last day will be Aug 31.

• Love 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..