The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

Just now, Starrynight22 said:

Essie almost peed herself laughing.  Not maliciously.  Just my reaction to the spice levels I guess was comical.  I have a very low spice tolerance in food.  I'm sure my face was hilarious as I chewed 

Phil doesn't care for them, so i haven't made them in years!

i like them sauteed with bacon and onions in some good bacon fat sprinkled liberally with pepper and Tabasco

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

• Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Starrynight22 said:

Essie almost peed herself laughing.  Not maliciously.  Just my reaction to the spice levels I guess was comical.  I have a very low spice tolerance in food.  I'm sure my face was hilarious as I chewed 

I can relate. My dad overdid the spice on steak he marinated, and it nearly killed me with how spicy it was. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

my younger sister has such a low tolerance that she can't chew cinnamon gum!

Our daughter,is different. she carried Ghost Pepper chilli powder with her in high school to flavor the food in the cafeteria.  the job she has is perfect, she works for a man who makes award winning salsas and hot sauces!

That's intense! 

I hope everyone is having a happy new year to start off!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Spicy foods give me hiccoughs. I have to take veeeery small bites and chew veeeery carefully, or my diaphragm goes haywire. Same with whisky, particularly the smoky ones. Which is a good thing as I have no choice but to take my time and sip and so I avoid getting absolutely gazeboed on the stuff...

11 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

This sentence keeps making me giggle 

Lol! Happy to amuse. I clearly have my moments, it seems.

• Like 3

Speaking of spicy things, I present to you for your amusement the following.

Danish boys' choir sings Oh Come All Ye Faithful after eating whole chilis:

Spoiler

It says ghost peppers in the description, but if you look at the ones the smaller boys are eating, they're the wrong size and colour. It would be super irresponsible otherwise.

And Matt Mercer, a talented voice actor and Dungeon Master of the popular D&D stream/podcast Critical Role, reviews the video game Bloodborne after eating a dried ghost pepper dipped in Dr. Assburn's hot sauce:

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

51 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

I had greens for the first time at work today. They were spicy and I was not prepared.  

49 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

...is there some definition of greens here that I, a foreigner, am not privy to?

44 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

GREENS are usually the leafy green tops of some vegetables, like turnip greens

others are grown specifically for their leaves, like chard, mustard or collard greens

more popular in the southern US than in other places, they are a popular side dish but are easy to do poorly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_vegetable

38 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

They were good..... Just I had no idea they were prepared with hot sauce.  I was expecting like....spinachy bland.  

37 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

many cooks add hot sauce to them

done well they are sooo good!

done poorly, they are slimy piles of green nastiness

so glad to hear you liked them!

35 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

See, someone says greens and I just think vegetables in general. :P Possibly because the Scandinavian word for vegetables literally translates into 'green things'.

33 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Ours was Collard Greens. Boiled them in veggie stock, with salt-n-pepper, a little bit of spicy stuff and our family secret of Hog Jaw Grease. Really good and go to town! The key is what you cook them in and for how long. Do it right, and it's a piece of heaven on the plate. Do it wrong, and it's what miss molly said, a pile of slimy dogshyte.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

3 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Ours was Collard Greens. Boiled them in veggie stock, with salt-n-pepper, a little bit of spicy stuff and our family secret of Hog Jaw Grease. Really good and go to town! The key is what you cook them in and for how long. Do it right, and it's a piece of heaven on the plate. Do it wrong, and it's what miss molly said, a pile of slimy dogshyte.

This had smoked Turkey in it. A few gals at work don't eat pork for religious reasons 

And I don't know what specific green it was.  I'd guess collard 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thorn Wilde said:

You people eat weird stuff. *returns to his fermented trout, pickled herrings, and lutefisk*

I haven't mentioned Chitlins and Ox Tail. But I won't touch Rocky Mountain Oysters.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

You people eat weird stuff. *returns to his fermented trout, pickled herrings, and lutefisk*

ummm, yeah, sure WE do.....

Just now, BHopper2 said:

I haven't mentioned Chitlins and Ox Tail. But I won't touch Rocky Mountain Oysters.

OX tail is good in a soup! not fond of chitlins, or pork rinds

Rocky Mountain Oysters need to be done right, and they should be from calves,more tender and better flavor that way

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I like Bison steak and burger. OH SO GOOOOOOD!

My Aunt, the Uncle I'm staying with his Ex-Wife, sent down a ton of Deer Meat, freshly killed Beef portions, and homemade Pork Sausage. It's packed in the freezer.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Fermented.......trout????? 

Um.  Why. 

It's called rakfisk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk

EDIT: As to the why, eating dried fish all winter gets tedious; my ancestors had to figure out more interesting ways to preserve food.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

I like Bison steak and burger. OH SO GOOOOOOD!

My Aunt, the Uncle I'm staying with his Ex-Wife, sent down a ton of Deer Meat, freshly killed Beef portions, and homemade Pork Sausage. It's packed in the freezer.

You get moose burgers here. Reindeer ones, too. When I was at uni in England, I brought some smoked reindeer meat back after a holiday and my friend from halls was absolutely horrified by the idea of eating 'Rudolf'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

ummm, yeah, sure WE do.....

OX tail is good in a soup! not fond of chitlins, or pork rinds

Rocky Mountain Oysters need to be done right, and they should be from calves,more tender and better flavor that way

I do love Ox-tail.. stewed though. The rest..🤢 I would not even attempt to try. 

3 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

You get moose burgers here. Reindeer ones, too. When I was at uni in England, I brought some smoked reindeer meat back after a holiday and my friend from halls was absolutely horrified by the idea of eating 'Rudolf'.

My good friend’s husband is a hunter. When I first met them I had no idea. I discovered this factiod by accidentally opening a deep freezer. 😲 🐰🦆🦌🐗🤯I won’t eat meat at their house any more. Tramafreakingtized..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This discussion brings to mind the year a friend served a wild turkey her husband had gotten during hunting season. When I asked how it turned out, she announced quite proudly "It tasted just like turkey!".   

Uh, yeah...

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..