Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

6 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Saw this article this morning ... https://qz.com/1038009/trying-to-stay-young-isnt-just-futile-its-also-bad-for-you/\

Very interesting .. yeah i'm 34 but i won't be forever ... none of us will. Interesting read.

From the perspective of someone who is who is at that far end of the spectrum (a bit more than twice your age), that is a very good article.  Finding things to keep one's body and mind active is essential.  Besides activities such as hiking and kayaking, the best thing for me has been volunteering for trail maintenance, an activity I started last January in response to a specific local need.  I'm not trying to stay young, but I'm certainly trying to keep up with the younger people I volunteer with, and with a high level of success so far.  🙂

Edited by Backwoods Boy
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

This article makes so much sense, and after reading it, I totally agree with the reasonings behind it . Remembrance Day should not be a holiday. Thanks for posting this, tim. If you hadn’t, I might still be thinking the other way - the wrong way. 

Me too...I get the day off...but always watch the Ceremonies. Had my life been different...I would have joined. The navy i think. As a kid id always wanted to. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

image.png.f74cdeb52657eaf7260b7461a6b8455e.png    Why Remembrance Day is NOT a Holiday in Ontario. Interesting reading. 

Veterans Day here, complete with plastic poppies given out by veterans' associations - at least in the past - maybe that tradition doesn't happen any more.  Thanks for your posts about the 100 year celebration, not to mention your excellent poem.  I was reminded that on the fiftieth celebration, I was a year into my military stint at an AF base in South Carolina.  Another thing about aging - time intervals take on a different perspective.  😕

Edited by Backwoods Boy
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, Backwoods Boy said:

From the perspective of someone who is who is at that far end of the spectrum (a bit more than twice your age), that is a very good article.  Finding things to keep one's body and mind active is essential.  Besides activities such as hiking and kayaking, the best thing for me has been volunteering for trail maintenance, an activity I started last January in response to a specific local need.  I'm not trying to stay young, but I'm certainly trying to keep up with the younger people I volunteer with, and with a high level of success so far.  

Thats cool. I think we need not fight aging like we do ... but do as you are. I think it's great. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

I hope everyone has been having a good day.

Take care.

it was an ok day

spent it with some people Phil knows at the Veteran's Day Remembrance Parade in Fredericksburg, Tx

i don't know most of these people, so for a time i was on my own, left out of conversations it's ok, that happens

but there was this little tiny older lady making her way to one of the "Women Vets" floats

i walked with her, turns out she's a Marine, and served in Vietnam.  she was fascinating.

talked to a few of those women, one was a captain, Korea and Vietnam era.  dealing with supply chain issues.  it was wonderful to see them get recognition.

3 floats full of Korean era vets shook my hand.  Phil spent some time with a float full of "Peacetime Vets" they also call themselves "Cold War Era"  He rode on a float with His friends, they're all reenactors representing Texas history

not sure if it's because it was small town Texas or the fact that the National Museum of the Pacific War is there, but there were people 2 and 3 deep for the whole of the parade route.  Kids, older folks, whole family groups, it was so nice to see.

anyway, it was an ok day, thanks for asking A!

• Love 4

4 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

I hope everyone has been having a good day.

Take care.

I only left the house to go to the local grocery store, and I drove the three blocks.  There's a howling east wind that is colder than hell.  :/   I'm glad I did the final yard work yesterday.  Out on the river, the truly hardy (in wet suits) are kite boarding. :blink:   Got my annual "Happy Veterans Day to my favorite Veteran" email from my sister, bless her.  :)  And took a two-hour geriatric nap.  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Love 3

45 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

anyway, it was an ok day, thanks for asking A!

Sounds like a busy, and wonderful day. 🙂 I think meeting those ladies would have been awesome.

26 minutes ago, Backwoods Boy said:

I only left the house to go to the local grocery store, and I drove the three blocks.  There's a howling east wind that is colder than hell.  :/   I'm glad I did the final yard work yesterday.  Out on the river, the truly hardy (in wet suits) are kite boarding. :blink:   Got my annual "Happy Veterans Day to my favorite Veteran" email from my sister, bless her.  :)  And took a two-hour geriatric nap.  :thumbup:

Sounds like a very good day. 🙂

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Morning ... early start today ... working overtime 8 to 4 ... have to get my ass in gear... see you all later!!!

You got this, my Brother.

Overtime is always good. Extra cash!

39 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

Good morning, everyone. 

May today be the start of an amazing week..

I was finally forced to turn the heat on this morning. 

Stay warm...

Good Morning, Agent D...

To All...

I'm not going to brag about, how out of the lower 48 states, Central and South Florida is the only warm spots in the USA. (According to local weather.) The reason I'm not bragging is that when we do get our two-weeks of winter, and it's cold enough for nuts to retreat, you'll be laughing at me. We should be supportive of each other during this time of winter weather.

*types the post, while sitting in shorts and t-shirt,  and getting ready to soak in the sun on Gandy Beach*

Edited by BHopper2
  • Haha 3
  • Angry 2

1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

Good Morning, Agent D...

To All...

I'm not going to brag about, how out of the lower 48 states, Central and South Florida is the only warm spots in the USA. (According to local weather.) The reason I'm not bragging is that when we do get out two-weeks of winter, and it's cold enough for nuts to retreat, you'll be laughing at me. We should be supportive of each other during this time of winter weather.

*types the post, while sitting in shorts and t-shirt,  and getting ready to soak in the sun on Gandy Beach*

Lol

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Good Morning, Agent D...

To All...

I'm not going to brag about, how out of the lower 48 states, Central and South Florida is the only warm spots in the USA. (According to local weather.) The reason I'm not bragging is that when we do get our two-weeks of winter, and it's cold enough for nuts to retreat, you'll be laughing at me. We should be supportive of each other during this time of winter weather.

🙄...whatev...

But I do think it’s cute that you think 2 weeks of 50f/10c weather, constitutes as winter.  😏

• Love 2
  • Haha 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..