The Drop in Centre

grift Audio pronunciation

verb | GRIFT  

Definition

:
to obtain (money) illicitly (as in a confidence game)

:
 to acquire money or property illicitly

Grift was born in the argot of the underworld, a realm in which a "grifter" might be a pickpocket, a crooked gambler, or a confidence man—any criminal who relied on skill and wits rather than physical violence—and to be "on the grift" was to make a living by stings and clever thefts. Grift may have evolved from graft, a slightly older word meaning "to acquire dishonestly," but its exact origins are uncertain. We do know that the verb grift first finagled its way into print in the early 20th century, as demonstrated in George Bronson-Howard's 1915 novel God's Man, where it appears in gerund form: "Grifting ain't what it used to be. Fourteenth Street's got protection down to a system—a regular underworld tariff on larceny."

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

grift Audio pronunciation

verb | GRIFT  

Definition

:
to obtain (money) illicitly (as in a confidence game)

:
 to acquire money or property illicitly

Grift was born in the argot of the underworld, a realm in which a "grifter" might be a pickpocket, a crooked gambler, or a confidence man—any criminal who relied on skill and wits rather than physical violence—and to be "on the grift" was to make a living by stings and clever thefts. Grift may have evolved from graft, a slightly older word meaning "to acquire dishonestly," but its exact origins are uncertain. We do know that the verb grift first finagled its way into print in the early 20th century, as demonstrated in George Bronson-Howard's 1915 novel God's Man, where it appears in gerund form: "Grifting ain't what it used to be. Fourteenth Street's got protection down to a system—a regular underworld tariff on larceny."

This is a new one on me.  While they likely have different roots, "grift" seems very similar to "graft".

Edited by Backwoods Boy
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
4 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Have a good day everyone!  Reader, put your yaktrax on!!   or get out the dog sled.

The DJ interrupted playing music this morning for an important announcement: It’s snowing!

Spoiler

You don’t say... :P 

:ph34r: Dare I say it? Yes, I dare (with fingers crossed behind my back). It’s actually worse out there when you’re looking at it from the inside. I thought for sure my glasses and my hair (yeah, I don’t wear a hat) would get drenched by the snow, but they didn’t, so yay to that! :ph34r:

tim, I hope your journey wasn’t uneventful. 

Have an awesome day all you wonderful people! :) 

PS: I binge-watched S1: eps 1 through 5 of Man in a High Castle last night. Most excellent it was. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

It was an uber day ... there is a shit ton of snow out there.. omg .. STOP!!!

And yet, it hasn’t. Snow’s listening ears are full of wax, obviously. Anyone got a giant cotton swab? 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I get home from choir, and find boyfriend waiting with a gin and tonic for me. :wub: I think I found a keeper, you guys.

Keepers are good .. as long as you're happy together.. So what does Donald do for a living?

• Haha 4
12 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Keepers are good .. as long as you're happy together.. So what does Donald do for a living?

Lol! Did you just invent a name for him? :gikkle: He's currently job hunting. Looking for kitchen work, that's what he's been doing for the past couple of years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
32 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Lol! Did you just invent a name for him? :gikkle: He's currently job hunting. Looking for kitchen work, that's what he's been doing for the past couple of years. 

i did cuz i was tired of boyfriend.. so donald was the first thing that came to mind...LOL

• Haha 5
25 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Paul says I may now call him Paul. He will not accept being a Donald under any circumstances. :P 

OMG Paul.. now that i know that.. i can track you both down!!  LOL. .. Thanks Paul!   xo

• Haha 5
2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

OMG Paul.. now that i know that.. i can track you both down!!  LOL. .. Thanks Paul!   xo

Hah! If you wanted to know where I lived, you could have just asked. :P 

EDIT: Besides, there are like five people in this whole country, wouldn't be too hard anyway. Lol

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Haha 5

NERD ALERT! :read: I got lost on Wikipedia. Started reading about the Pitcairn Islands. Population: 50.

A few choice quotes:

"Cuisine is not very developed, because only 50 people live on Pitcairn."

"Pitcairn has one of the best examples of disease-free bee populations anywhere in the world and the honey produced was and remains exceptionally high in quality. Pitcairn bees are also a placid variety and, within a short time, beekeepers are able to work with them wearing minimal protection. As a result, Pitcairn exports honey to New Zealand and to the United Kingdom. In London, Fortnum & Mason sells it and it is a favourite of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles."

"Most resident Pitcairn Islanders are descendants of the Bounty mutineers and Tahitians (or other Polynesians). Pitkern is a creole language derived from 18th-century English, with elements of the Tahitian language. It is spoken as a first language by the population and is taught alongside English at the island's only school. It is closely related to the creole language Norfuk, spoken on Norfolk Island, because Norfolk was repopulated in the mid-19th century by Pitcairners."

So, now you, too, know some useless trivia about Pitcairn.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Thorn Wilde said:

NERD ALERT! :read: I got lost on Wikipedia. Started reading about the Pitcairn Islands. Population: 50.

A few choice quotes:

So, now you, too, know some useless trivia about Pitcairn.

are you moving there to get high quality honey for your tea?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..