Good morning ... have a good day all.

avuncular Audio pronunciation

adjective | uh-VUNK-yuh-ler  

Definition

:
suggestive of an uncle especially in kindliness or geniality

:
of or relating to an uncle

Not all uncles are likeable fellows (Hamlet's murderous Uncle Claudius, for example, isn't exactly Mr. Nice Guy in William Shakespeare's tragedy), but avuncular reveals that, as a group, uncles are generally seen as affable and benevolent, if at times a bit patronizing. Avuncular derives from the Latin noun avunculus, which translates as "maternal uncle," but since at least the 19th century English speakers have used avuncular to refer to uncles from either side of the family or even to individuals who are simply uncle-like in character or behavior. And in case you were wondering, avunculus is also an ancestor of the word uncle itself.

Personally i think this is rather lame advise for people in the real world, but that's just me. You can decide for yourself:

image.png.6de773ef300bc6ba90163fb81c5cd11b.png

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Good morning ... have a good day all.

avuncular Audio pronunciation

adjective | uh-VUNK-yuh-ler  

Definition

:
suggestive of an uncle especially in kindliness or geniality

:
of or relating to an uncle

Not all uncles are likeable fellows (Hamlet's murderous Uncle Claudius, for example, isn't exactly Mr. Nice Guy in William Shakespeare's tragedy), but avuncular reveals that, as a group, uncles are generally seen as affable and benevolent, if at times a bit patronizing. Avuncular derives from the Latin noun avunculus, which translates as "maternal uncle," but since at least the 19th century English speakers have used avuncular to refer to uncles from either side of the family or even to individuals who are simply uncle-like in character or behavior. And in case you were wondering, avunculus is also an ancestor of the word uncle itself.

Personally i think this is rather lame advise for people in the real world, but that's just me. You can decide for yourself:

image.png.6de773ef300bc6ba90163fb81c5cd11b.png

Like the word. Never even heard that before, though I may have to use it at some point now.

Agree about the quote, though. Would be great if it were that easy, huh?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Like the word. Never even heard that before, though I may have to use it at some point now.

Agree about the quote, though. Would be great if it were that easy, huh?

Yep, if only ... have a good day.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Good morning everyone.

12 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

yes, Sir. that's the truth.  i'd said something to molly about him .. nothing bad. 

Speak of the devil...

Not that Peter is a devil mind you

10 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

This is really interesting.   42,000 yr foal discovered.

This is quite interesting, but makes me wonder if they thought out the potential problems.  I could generate an entire notebook full of questions that really should be researched before they attempt it.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

hello Sirs and friends

just had a minute to pop in and say hello

plugging away on 140+ emails

hope your days are smooth

Hi, molly. That's an awful lot of e-mails! Good luck!

14 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Good afternoon everyone. I hope your day is going well... :) 

Hi, Reader! How are you today?

Back from IKEA. Got a drying rack for clothes, a bread knife, a french press, a few other bits and bobs... Got a sheep skin that Tesla will hopefully like to hang out on. It smells a lot like sheep...

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Afternoon everyone.

Spent the morning helping the uncle paint the kitchen.

Rain, rain, and more rain here today.

Check on you all later.

Well done with the painting! Hope the rest of your day goes well. :) 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

No...I know better...

Of course you do. Just saying, it happens to us all from time to time. If it makes you feel any better, I know the difference between 'an' and 'and', but sometimes I read back on something I've written and find a stray 'd' where it doesn't belong. Sometimes my fingers run away from me. 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator
56 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Hi, molly. That's an awful lot of e-mails! Good luck!

Hi, Reader! How are you today?

Back from IKEA. Got a drying rack for clothes, a bread knife, a french press, a few other bits and bobs... Got a sheep skin that Tesla will hopefully like to hang out on. It smells a lot like sheep...

Doing well, Thorn. I hope Tesla likes the sheep skin. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
10 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

No...I know better...

3 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Happens to us all from time to time. I know the difference between 'an' and 'and', but sometimes I read back on something I've written and find a stray 'd' where it doesn't belong. Sometimes my fingers run away from me. 

Dont know if they are homophones (don’t even no what they are) but the two words that give me the most trouble are affect and effect. My brain twists in knots trying to remember which is which. Good thing some smart person(s) thought to invent a dictionary....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Hey all.  Little one is sick again with a double ear infection.  He is napping most of the day away and I'm revisiting Carlos' CJ stories. 

Aww, hope he feels better soon. Ear infections really are terrible...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

Dont know if they are homophones (don’t even no what they are) but the two words that give me the most trouble are affect and effect. My brain twists in knots trying to remember which is which. Good thing some smart person(s) thought to invent a dictionary....

Homophones are words that sound the same but have different spellings and meanings. I think affect and effect counts... Depending on dialect, maybe. Other examples include their and there, your and you're, it's and its, advice and advise, red and read, etc.

EDIT: An and and are only homophones some of the time, lol! And still I find those pesky stray 'd's everywhere...

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
4 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

Hey all.  Little one is sick again with a double ear infection.  He is napping most of the day away and I'm revisiting Carlos' CJ stories. 

Poor little man. I had a double ear infection when I was 10 or 11, so I know they’re painful. I hope he feels better soon.  

Revisiting CJ will keep you busy for a while...

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Hello and goodbye, DiCsters. We've got another evening out, this time to a show. Lots happening this week. Tickets to events kind of fell into my lap. I can't complain, I like going to things. sean, on the other hand... well, he'll enjoy them, too, I'll see to it. Hope you all are well.  

Hey, Mac. Quiet night in, here. We ordered Chinese. Hope you both enjoy the show! 

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..