The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

Morning, all! :hug: I went to bed early and forgot to say goodnight. Took a while to fall asleep because of my cough, but I still got up at 10:30 today. Woot! Hope you all have a nice Thursday. 

• Like 5

hamartia Audio pronunciation

noun | hah-mahr-TEE-uh  

Definition

:
a flaw in character that brings about the downfall of the hero of a tragedy : tragic flaw

Hamartia arose from the Greek verb hamartanein, meaning "to miss the mark" or "to err." Aristotle introduced the term in the Poetics to describe the error of judgment which ultimately brings about the tragic hero's downfall. As you can imagine, the word is most often found in literary criticism. However, media writers occasionally employ the word when discussing the unexplainable misfortune or missteps of celebrities regarded as immortal gods and goddesses before being felled by their own shortcomings. For example, a writer for The New Republic in an April 2018 review of Chappaquiddick (a movie about U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy) comments that "Kennedy's ruthlessness and ambition, which are treated as the family's hamartia in Chappaquiddick, are swept under the rug of his compassion."

I do not believe i have ever seen or heard this word before.  :D  i like that.

• Love 5

20 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

hamartia Audio pronunciation

noun | hah-mahr-TEE-uh  

Definition

:
a flaw in character that brings about the downfall of the hero of a tragedy : tragic flaw

Hamartia arose from the Greek verb hamartanein, meaning "to miss the mark" or "to err." Aristotle introduced the term in the Poetics to describe the error of judgment which ultimately brings about the tragic hero's downfall. As you can imagine, the word is most often found in literary criticism. However, media writers occasionally employ the word when discussing the unexplainable misfortune or missteps of celebrities regarded as immortal gods and goddesses before being felled by their own shortcomings. For example, a writer for The New Republic in an April 2018 review of Chappaquiddick (a movie about U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy) comments that "Kennedy's ruthlessness and ambition, which are treated as the family's hamartia in Chappaquiddick, are swept under the rug of his compassion."

Ooh, yes, this one is entirely new to me too! Thanks for sharing! :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Ooh, yes, this one is entirely new to me too! Thanks for sharing! :) 

soooo cool when that happens ... have a good one, Thorn.

• Love 3

Have a terrific day!  It is Thursday ... i am looking forward to a smooth day at work (one can dream) and then Chinese food, a bit of writing and some snuggling with Michael later ....

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I feel like I ought to go for a walk today. It's 9°C, virtually no wind, and sunny. Gonna top at 11°C around 4 this afternoon. That's the time to take a stroll around the lake, I think.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Site Moderator
5 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Is it bad that I listened to the pronunciation of this word, and the first thing to pop into my my head was martini? :unsure: 

PS: It is a great sounding word, now let me go back and find out what it means...

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

An official good day.

Did an extended visit to the fitness center. Hoping the work out would bring me out of the funk I was slipping into.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Hey, everyone. Paul and I went for a walk down by the lake. It was really nice. We were gonna have veggie burgers for dinner, but I've decided I'd rather have pasta, so we'll do the burgers some other day. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This weird thing is happening again, where I'm starting to feel sleepy at a reasonable hour. Thinking it's time to put the laptop away and begin contemplating bed. Goodnight, DiC! :hug: Hope you've all had a great day!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Site Moderator

45 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

This weird thing is happening again, where I'm starting to feel sleepy at a reasonable hour. Thinking it's time to put the laptop away and begin contemplating bed. Goodnight, DiC! :hug: Hope you've all had a great day!

Good night Thorn...happy dreams 

Send me some of your ‘sleepy’ will you please?  Since we put the clocks forward, my brain is keeping me up way too late.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Husband when he came home.  "Work thinks I'm weird!"

Me, at my computer writing.  "Work knows you're weird."

Apparently, that's not supportive.

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Husband when he came home.  "Work thinks I'm weird!"

Me, at my computer writing.  "Work knows you're weird."

Apparently, that's not supportive.

Mmmmm nope ... sometimes just nodding is a smarter thing to do..

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Mmmmm nope ... sometimes just nodding is a smarter thing to do..

The trouble is that it just came out of me.  Instantly.  😮

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

The trouble is that it just came out of me.  Instantly.  😮

Yessss i can relate to that .. i call em 'slap ur hands over your mouth, moron'  moments

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

hello DiC

3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Yessss i can relate to that .. i call em 'slap ur hands over your mouth, moron'  moments

yes, i can relate as well, file under "stuff i wish i'd never said"

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..