Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

6 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

I work in healthcare and I'm so tired of talking about COVID-19.  Tired of reassuring patients, tired of explaining our disinfecting and cleaning procedures and tired of hearing how no-one can find toilet paper.

Hello, Cassie, my lovely queen.   :worship:   :hug:  I understand the need for safety, but everyone has already gone to ground. Why can't we talk about what we're going to do after this mess is over? As for toilet paper, if I run out, I'll just tear some pages out of the Sears catalog.  😀

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

I work in healthcare and I'm so tired of talking about COVID-19.  Tired of reassuring patients, tired of explaining our disinfecting and cleaning procedures and tired of hearing how no-one can find toilet paper.

Here on a sign for a restaurant, they had a sign 'We have Toilet Paper! Free with dinner.' It is a seafood place that is pretty popular.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/11/2020 at 5:23 PM, Timothy M. said:

Sigh, Denmark is more or less shutting down to prevent spread of Covid-19. We are told to work from home, and all schools and colleges will close on Friday (the 13th :blink: ) for two weeks. They're going to pass a law to forbid gatherings over 1000 people, and they recommend avoiding gatherings of more than 100 people. More restrictions may come... :o 

Heard Italy is shut down. Around here, the schools and universities are closed. Sporting events are postponed or cancelled. We had tickets to the INDYCar race in St. Petersburg last weekend, but it was cancelled. The school board here is telling parents to go online to get your kids lessons. One of my neighbors (who sends her kids to public school) asked me how I can deal with my kids being homeschooled. I said they love going to school in pajamas or a swimsuit or nothing and they get more done in 3 hours than most of students in a day. Kipp hated school - because of his incontinence - but he loves it. He wants tobe a doctor, Jordan wants to be a chef and Puma wants to be a naval architect - they got books on their interests.

The homeschooling group that we are part of cancelled their monthly meeting, but they got inquires from a lot of parents.

Edited by BabyXander1990
  • Love 4

On 3/11/2020 at 6:52 PM, Valkyrie said:

The State University of New York system are closing all their campuses for the semester starting on the 19th.  Classes will be completed online.  My intern said her entire class is freaking out about the possibility of not getting enough clinical hours to graduate.  A lot of people are doing placements in schools right now.  If they close, they'll have to delay graduation.  Where I work, they're having individuals over 60 stay home and not come to dayhab.  We can still see them, but have to schedule them on an outpatient basis. 

Here to the Universities of Tampa and USF and the Hillsborough Community College are closed, too. One state senator here - a FSU graduate - started a bill saying the FSU Seminoles are the NCAA men's basketball champions. He did it on the last day of the session, so it wasn't discussed, since the State senate needed to pass it, too. Dennis said downtown Tampa is a ghost town.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:09 PM, Valkyrie said:

There are 64 schools in the SUNY system that will close across the state.  There aren't any confirmed cases in my area yet. 

Go SUNY Buffalo Bulls...is that one? Or how about SUNY Albany Great Danes...

• Like 2

On 3/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, Albert1434 said:

They have cancelled them here as well :(

And here, too...was looking forward to the Hillsborough River turning green...At least I made our favorite St Patrick's Day dinner -- A New England Boiled Dinner - Corned Beef, Potatoes, Carrots and Cabbage. We both grew up having that as our families St. Patrick's dinner.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 3/12/2020 at 3:39 AM, Timothy M. said:

Yeah, that's true. But people have gone a little crazy and are emptying the supermarkets, even though there is no shortage of food and other goods. :facepalm:

Here in an inner city supermarket, some lady punched a lady for grabbing the last roll of paper towels. Dennis bought some toilet paper from the local marine/RV store. It is the same stuff, more expensive since it is in an RV/marine store. I guess they are thinking, if you can afford a boat or an RV, you can pay more. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/12/2020 at 7:42 AM, Bucket1 said:

We have moved on from that it seems. One of our major supermarkets has announced it will not be accepting returns on panic purchases. You bought 500 rolls of toilet paper and 40 cases of baked beans then they are all yours... enjoy

Which supermarket - Cole's or Woolworth?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, Marty said:

And the breaking news in Ireland is:

"THE GOVERNMENT HAS announced that schools across the country are to close to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The decision applies to all schools and third-level institutions, and none will open tomorrow. It will also apply to other public facilities.

Furthermore, all museums, galleries and tourism sites will shut. Mass gatherings of over 100 (indoor) and 500 (outdoor) are cancelled. All these measures will take effect from 6pm today until 29 March.

The significant development comes as confirmed cases of the Covid-19 coronavirus in the Republic of Ireland now stands at 43. One person has died from the virus here so far."

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-school-clsoure-5039700-Mar2020/

Interestingly this announcement was made by Taoiseach (Irish Prime Minister) Leo Varadkar whilst on a visit to the USA as part of the annual exodus of Government ministers to the USA to celebrate St. Patrick's Day (although fewer than usual have travelled this year, but this may be in part due to the fact that we currently only have a caretaker government following a recent general election).

I also read in The Journal that President Trump is suspending all travel between the US and Europe for 30 days from tomorrow, but that this doesn't include the UK or Ireland.

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-case-trinity-main-points-5043197-Mar2020/

So I guess Hartford-Springfield International (Bradley) had AerLingus (is that the spelling?) flights still.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 3/12/2020 at 10:28 AM, Headstall said:

G'day, Marty. :hug:  The NBA has suspended their season. And it looks like The Saint Patrick's Day parade in New York is going to be cancelled. :( 

So did NASCAR for a few weeks and the NHL...

• Like 3

On 3/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, CassieQ said:

My sister lives in West Virginia and they are still at 0 confirmed cases.  My sister says it's "redneck immunity ".

One of the guys on the radio - who grew up in WV said that too. Now I heard it is 2... 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

On 3/12/2020 at 1:47 PM, Timothy M. said:

Or it could be because no one leaves and no one visits... ;)  Although, I've heard it's beautiful in the countryside. Is that so ?

America has nice areas. Connecticut, where Dennis and I grew up, is a densely populated state, however if you get out of the central part (New Haven to Hartford), you'll see farms, forests, historic places and hills. The Quiet Corner is the last bit of open land between Washington and Boston. The Quiet Corner is scenic...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/12/2020 at 1:55 PM, CassieQ said:

West Virginia has gorgeous scenery.  However my sister sent me a picture of a deer that her neighbors had killed, skinned and then hung outside (because of the cold).  So you get that too.  

Love venison. An exotic meat market has it along with elk, gator, ostrich, boar and others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2020 at 4:35 PM, Page Scrawler said:

Some people are actually buying as much TP as they can, planning on selling it for MUCH greater than the market value when supplies are low.   :pissed:

Someone here was selling hand sanitizer in front of a dollar tree (which ran out) for $4. It is the same stuff you buy in Dollar Tree for $1. The police told him he had to move.He moved to the vacant lot next to the Dollar Tree.

• Wow 3

• Site Administrator
4 hours ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Go SUNY Buffalo Bulls...is that one? Or how about SUNY Albany Great Danes...

UB Bulls is the University at Buffalo's basketball team.  No idea about Albany. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Clo, Do you have a curfew imposed? We don't, but the interstate - according to Dennis - was devoid of traffic. The sheriff here said to stay home and enjoy your family - and please don't call 911 if you run out of toilet paper. Someone, in another state, called 911 to see if the police knew where to get some. The Sheriff here said, "If you want to call us on that, we will supply you with it, along with a nice bed, too." (the Jail)

No curfew but we have to stay home. If you have to go out you can't go more than 3km away from your home and you have to carry a piece of paper stating you're out either for groceries, a medical appointment, work (you need a statement from your work place proving it), or walking your dog/a bit of sport alone. If you down have this paper with you and get control by a police officer you can get a 135€ fine.

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..