Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

20 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

My mom always made homemade jelly when I was a kid, from berries we'd go pick or grapes from our neighbors' vines.  My absolute favorite was grape jelly made from our neighbors across the street's grapevines.  Sadly, the neighbors have both passed and the vines are long gone, so the jelly is a distant memory now.  The closest I've come to tasting something similar was when I visited Cole a couple of years ago.  He made grape jelly that was very similar to my old favorite :) 

My maternal grandma made homemade grape jelly and grape juice from concord grapes.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Site Administrator
1 minute ago, dughlas said:

My maternal grandma made homemade grape jelly and grape juice from concord grapes.

I'm not sure what kind of grapes these were.  We had two neighbors who grew grape vines.  The ones right next door were vibrant purple and made a jelly that was dark purple and had a rich grape flavor.  The ones across the street were a lighter purple and made a light purple jelly with a more subtle flavor.  It was soooo goood.  :) 

• Love 4

6 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

A tiger in the Bronx Zoo has the Virus:blink:

As do five other large cats, all are doing well and expected to recover. The tiger was the first one tested.

• Love 3
  • Wow 1

5 hours ago, Bucket1 said:

I had a chat with Dad today about him coming out of hospital and how the world has changed. It sounded really weird saying it all out loud. He is of a vintage that needs to be isolated and explaining that friends from high school were dropping food parcels/shopping at their parents door and then phoning to say they had made a delivery. No physical closeness at all. And this is happening all around the world. 

Given that he is still unstable on his feet it is likely he will have to stay in a facility for the short term at least. All these rules have completely changed the world 

Hoping all goes well B.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, dughlas said:

I was being kind when I said I do not care for rhubarb. My true response is more along the lines of Val's opinion of fungi as a foodstuff.

I share similar views on seafood. Fish should stay in the water and off my dinner plate. That's why I always toss them back after I catch them.   :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

13 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I'm not sure what kind of grapes these were.  We had two neighbors who grew grape vines.  The ones right next door were vibrant purple and made a jelly that was dark purple and had a rich grape flavor.  The ones across the street were a lighter purple and made a light purple jelly with a more subtle flavor.  It was soooo goood.  :) 

Concord grapes were very common in the northeast US. The grapes are round and a deep blue purple nearly black and have a rich flavor. They are typically used for jams/jelly, juice, pie and occasionally kosher wine. When I was a kid Welch's heavily advertised that they used concord grapes for their products. The lighter variety were possibly Catawba grapes. Catawba are common in the Finger Lake region and are used for jams and juice. There is also a red variety used to make New York Rosé wine.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..