Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

37 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Well I am screwed there is a Huge fire north of us called the Hog fire in California :( And the smoke is thick 

Keeping fingers crossed for you. Doesn’t sound good :hug:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Marty said:

G'day, bro. :hug:

The day started off really sunny here, but it's got cloudy in the last hour or so. Currently 16°C/61°F with 52%  humidity and the possibility of an odd shower or two later in the day. I put some washing out to dry a while back. Hopefully it will dry before the showers arrive.

Hi, Marty. :hug: 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Well I am screwed there is a Huge fire north of us called the Hog fire in California :( And the smoke is thick 

With your COPD, it might be a good idea to stay in the house to avoid the smoke. Hopefully the wind will not blow too much of it your way. :hug: 

Edited by Marty
Flipping typos!
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

ABT22E42DA7B2EC462441D8E0417842062D5E585

Badwater Basin in Death Valley National Park, California

At 282 feet below sea level Badwater Basin is also the lowest point on the continent.

It looks so beautiful that it almost makes me wonder why it's known as Badwater, and why the National Park is called Death Valley...

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Marty said:

With your COPD, it might be a good idea to stay in the house to avoid the smoke. Hopefully the wind will not blow too much of it your way. :hug: 

I agree with you and the damn heat 100f/37.7c

• Wow 2
  • Sad 2
5 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Aloha Dughlas hope your well today:kiss::hug:

I'm not too bad thank you. After lunch the pup and I went outdoors to sit the shade and relax. It has reached 93/34° but the dewpoint has dropped slightly so the heat index ix only a bit warmer at 96/35°. Seemed warmer, likely because the breeze stopped, so we've retreated back indoors. Need to rest my head as it's begun aching. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Marty said:

It's coming along slowly, thanks for asking. :)

The potatoes are growing strong. I'll probably lift one or two plants of the earlies (I think they're known as determinates  in some parts of the world) in about two weeks times to see how they're progressing. The main crop (indeterminates) can keep growing for another few months, unless they get hit by the dreaded blight (in which case it will be a case of removing and safely disposing of all the stalks, prior to digging out the tubers).

Runner beans are busy climbing the canes; some have even reached the top. They're starting to flower, but no pods to pick yet. Peas are half way up the netting, but no flowers yet. road beans are well in flower but, similar to the runners, no sign of pods yet. Cabbage, swedes (winter turnips), Swiss chard, and beetroot coming along nicely, as are the onions, whose bulbs are starting to swell nicely. Need to plant some winter cabbage and some kale next.

I've a couple of cherry tomato plants in a container outside. They're flowering at the moment, and hopefully there'll be enough sunshine to enable the fruits to ripen on the plants themselves. The rhubarb plant I managed to get is throwing up lots of nice looking stalks. And the two blackcurrant bushes have settled in, so should give a reasonable crop next year.

I'm hoping to get some bare-rooted apple and damson trees, and maybe even a pear, to plant over the winter months. They'll probably become available late autumn or winter.

Sounds lovely and productive.

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..