Open Club  ·  141 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

36 minutes ago, Marty said:

So, I started today by clearing the worst of the ivy that was growing on end of outside of the end of the stone wall. I'm a bit concerned that the ivy has damaged part of the wall. This photograph will .likely show you what I am talking about:

Progress-Outside.jpg

Although they are not in any immediate danger of falling, there are some large stones that have shifted slightly, probably as a result of ivy stems growing between them. The stems thicken as they age, and thus move the stones. It looks as though some stones have actually already fallen in the past. 

I'm thinking that I may have to get a "professional" in to make the end of the wall safe. I wouldn't want the local kids climbing on the wall and hurting themselves from the loose stones moving. I'll make a few enquiries tomorrow.

You be careful Marty please:yes:

• Love 5

4 minutes ago, Marty said:

Later this afternoon I moved inside the garden to remove the ivy from that side of the wall, and also to make a start on cutting back the boundary hedge. I took this photo showing that corner of the garden when it was almost totally dark, so apologies for the not great quality:

Progress-Inside.jpg

There's still a bit of ivy to clear off the inside of the wall, but I'm not going to remove any more from the far end of it until I have got advice as to how to best stabilise the stones.

I've made a very small start on tidying the hedge itself. It looks as though down through the years several attempts have been made to block the hedge with chicken wire, plastic screen-like wire, and even (now completely rusted) chain link fence. None of these seem to have been erected on fence posts; more just pushed against the hedge and tied back with bits of wire. I hope to remove them all, as they otherwise will prevent me from cutting the hedge as low as I'd like to. But I can see them being difficult to remove, as brambles, ivy, and the hedge itself, have grown through them in lots of places - and the bottom few inches of them are buried under the accumulation of years and years of rotting leaves...

Looks to be a great view through the opening.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Looks to be a great view through the opening.

12 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

I agree Gary:yes:

And I'll be interested to see if you still think the same when I have opened the view up even more... :yes:

• Love 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..