Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

9 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

You people always have your minds in the gutter.  :rofl:

I might be lying in the gutter, but I am also looking up at the stars. :yes:

428e89343cb4bbcfb3c4c0cbd0e19dec.jpg

(From his play "Lady Windermere's Fan" - first performed on Saturday, 20 February 1892, at the St James's Theatre in London.)

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Coming up to 1:00am, so I'm away to my bed.

I'm going to leave you with this rendition of Midnight Walker, performed by Davy Spillane on the uilleann pipes.

The uilleann pipes are a form of bagpipe, where the bellows are operated by the elbow, hence their name (uilleann is Irish Gaelic for elbow). They are my favourite Irish instrument (closely followed by the harp).

• Like 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Marty said:

Coming up to 1:00am, so I'm away to my bed.

I'm going to leave you with this rendition of Midnight Walker, performed by Davy Spillane on the uilleann pipes.

The uilleann pipes are a form of bagpipe, where the bellows are operated by the elbow, hence their name (uilleann is Irish Gaelic for elbow). They are my favourite Irish instrument (closely followed by the harp).

My son has a set of a Scottish version similiar to the uilleann pipes. They are in the same b-flat key as the large highland pipes so tunes sound the same though much softer, their small size makes them ideal for playing indoors.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Bucket1 said:

Humid here today :( 

Not happy

Our weather has taken a distinctly humid turn too. However, we're expecting a strong cold front within the next 18-24 hrs. There is a slight potential for freezing temps Fri and Sat mornings before a gradual warmup.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, dughlas said:

My son has a set of a Scottish version similiar to the uilleann pipes. They are in the same b-flat key as the large highland pipes so tunes sound the same though much softer, their small size makes them ideal for playing indoors.

There are similar pipes in Northumbria, in the North East of England, known as Northumbrian smallpipes. The bellows on these are also operated by the elbow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northumbrian_smallpipes

It's quite possible that they have a Scottish origin, as the border between England and Scotland changed through the centuries until the Act of Union between England and Scotland in 1707.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, dughlas said:
7 hours ago, Bucket1 said:

Humid here today :( 

Not happy

Our weather has taken a distinctly humid turn too. However, we're expecting a strong cold front within the next 18-24 hrs. There is a slight potential for freezing temps Fri and Sat mornings before a gradual warmup.

Overcast and rain here in the Northwest of Ireland at the moment, although it's apparently dry and sunny further East and South. Long term forecast suggesting possibility of a dusting of snow around Easter Monday, with a possibility that high pressure will build in the Atlantic, causing a cold northerly air-flow over the country for most of next week.

• Like 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..