Open Club  ·  141 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

9 hours ago, spike382 said:

It’s interesting that you bring up Dune, there was a lot of comparisons made between the two back in the day, they had some very interesting similarities.  I’m not sure if Robert Jordan ever said one way or the other, but he seemed to be inspired by at least the themes and world building of the first Dune.

Oddly enough both Herbert and Jordan died before finishing their series.  

The Spice must flow :yes:

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, spike382 said:

Hey Terry, I read the first book to that series right around the time there was a tv mini series adaptation of it.  I actually enjoyed it, but some parts felt a little over my head.

Good Morning Spike. :hug:That's what you get for being a young man Spike.  I actually had the same problem until I had read the first four Dune books.  I loved the first movie, but thought it left out too much of the story and was confusing because of that.  Of course I was in lust for Patrick Duffy and Sting (sexy as a redheaded bad boy).

• Like 5

13 hours ago, spike382 said:

It wasn’t his brother, it was just another author that was selected by his widow.  For me some parts of it worked some definitely did not.  Part of the issue is that it was hard to tell how much of the end story was the original author and how much was someone else filling in the blanks.

IIRC, Jordan left a lot of notes and actually wrote out certain sections before he died.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Good Morning Spike. :hug:That's what you get for being a young man Spike.  I actually had the same problem until I had read the first four Dune books.  I loved the first movie, but thought it left out too much of the story and was confusing because of that.  Of course I was in lust for Patrick Duffy and Sting (sexy as a redheaded bad boy).

The first movie made no sense at all unless you had read the books. The whole Dune universe is a complicated set up with secrets and half truths making life difficult for the new reader. The Sisters, the Navigators and spice messed up with the noble houses are a challenge but worth it…

Sting's speedo was worth a look :rofl:

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

I was a big fan of the wheel of time till the last two book. The Aurthor had died and his brother wrote the last two books which if I may say They Sucked!

I loved the last two books.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

Never seen it

Me also.  I looked it up.  It was made a year before I was born.  Wikipedia describes it as this.

The overall construction is an allegorical anti-war story, with the message that war always damages children.

As a teacher this has been a very huge concern of mine for decades, but that's too long of a story to tell here. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

IIRC, Jordan left a lot of notes and actually wrote out certain sections before he died.

He did, but from what I recall it was way more heavily detailed in some sections than others.  There was one plot point where one of the main characters was supposed to become a king, but no details for how that was supposed to happen.  There had been foreshadowing and an obvious set up for this for several books, and then it’s just randomly dropped in a few paragraphs.  So that plot ends up going in a totally different direction that made little sense.  I don’t know if anyone has ever asked about it and found out if that was Sanderson or Jordan.

6 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

The first movie made no sense at all unless you had read the books. The whole Dune universe is a complicated set up with secrets and half truths making life difficult for the new reader. The Sisters, the Navigators and spice messed up with the noble houses are a challenge but worth it…

Sting's speedo was worth a look :rofl:

Yeah the first film was a David Lynch thing, I remember trying to watch it multiple times and thinking I needed to be taking the “spice” myself to understand what was going on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, spike382 said:

There had been foreshadowing and an obvious set up for this for several books, and then it’s just randomly dropped in a few paragraphs.

Is it Lan you're talking about?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, spike382 said:

He did, but from what I recall it was way more heavily detailed in some sections than others.  There was one plot point where one of the main characters was supposed to become a king, but no details for how that was supposed to happen.  There had been foreshadowing and an obvious set up for this for several books, and then it’s just randomly dropped in a few paragraphs.  So that plot ends up going in a totally different direction that made little sense.  I don’t know if anyone has ever asked about it and found out if that was Sanderson or Jordan.

Yeah the first film was a David Lynch thing, I remember trying to watch it multiple times and thinking I needed to be taking the “spice” myself to understand what was going on. 

It does help if you get stoned. 🤪

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Is it Lan you're talking about?

No it was Perrin.  Lan’s final arc was luckily set in motion in the last book that Jordan wrote before he died.  I don’t think Sanderson had a way to screw that up too much. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, spike382 said:

No it was Perrin.  Lan’s final arc was luckily set in motion in the last book that Jordan wrote before he died.  I don’t think Sanderson had a way to screw that up too much. 

Ohh... yeah Perrin's arc is something I'd rather forget, especially because of his "emo phase" during the middle books, lol.

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..