Open Club  ·  142 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

Rules of Haiku Poems

These are the rules for writing haiku poems.

1. — haiku poems must be written in 17 syllables.
  2. —The syllables must be in the order of 5,7,5
  3. —Haiku poems must not be more than 3 lines
  4. —Haiku poems must be a poem on nature, season or an environment as emphasized upon above.
  5. —And lastly, haiku poems don't rhyme.
  • Like 5

That is what I know about Haiku oh and it start in 1700's in Japan😄 And I made a mistake by I don't what I was thinking put haiku on that poem by ascendant :yes:

Edited by Albert1434
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Rules of Haiku Poems

These are the rules for writing haiku poems.

1. — haiku poems must be written in 17 syllables.
  2. —The syllables must be in the order of 5,7,5
  3. —Haiku poems must not be more than 3 lines
  4. —Haiku poems must be a poem on nature, season or an environment as emphasized upon above.
  5. —And lastly, haiku poems don't rhyme.

That’s what I remembered from high school but I read somewhere… (on the internet so it must be true)… that the syllable rules are limited to the Japanese versions. The brevity and the provision of a seasonal word remains consistent across the format.

The national associations are more flexible and more importantly, the greatest haiku poet of all time, Basho, said that it was more important to write a good poem that to strictly follow the rules…

“Do not follow the ancient masters, seek what they sought.” However strong his opinions and theories, Bashō’s primary allegiance was to the living moment and its accurate, full-hearted presentation. Of the formal requirements of haiku, he said, “If you have three or four, even five or seven extra syllables but the poem still sounds good, don’t worry about it. But if one syllable stops the tongue, look at it hard.” 
 Jane Hirshfield, The Heart of Haiku

• Like 1
  • Love 4

This is a good example of not following the rules:yes:

But still follows some of the rules

1. —Haiku poems must be a poem on nature, season or an environment as emphasized upon above.
Edited by Albert1434
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Haiku poems must be a poem on nature, season or an environment as emphasized upon above.

Basho spoke about capturing a moment that tells a story - sort of like a good photograph, I guess. There are lists of seasonal and place words and some of it can be quite subtle.

Back in Basho's time they used to have haiku duels, going back and forth. It sounds like they had fun 

And the format continues to grow and adapt… for example there are thousands of haiku about spam (the meat product) at the Spamku site :) 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1