Transgender Day of Remembrance

On 11/20/2018 at 1:40 PM, Thorn Wilde said:

Those are the ones we know of, the ones who were reported and not misgendered.

Quite often police and families intentionally misgender people after they’ve died. In the case of the police, at best it is a misguided attempt to ‘preserve privacy’ of the deceased. With families, it is often out of their own personal embarrassment and a desire to deny the truth.

Religious leaders sometimes ignore science and medicine to claim that Transgender doesn’t exist.

Edited by Former Member
3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Quite often police and families intentionally misgender people after they’ve died. In the case of the police, at best it is a misguided attempt to ‘preserve privacy’ of the deceased. With families, it is often out of there own personal embarrassment and a desire to deny the truth.

Religious leaders sometimes ignore science and medicine to claim that Transgender doesn’t exist.

Don't I know it... It's awful.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

i don't understand why we people think this is something new ... there have always been, well, all of us.   we didn't just climb out of some radioactive cesspool all transformed into .. queer mutants  ... oooh watch where you step!!!   crazy.    we are here and it's high time everyone realized it.

• Love 3

Thank you kindly for publishing this. I feel and know that as a community, we should be doing more. I feel ashamed and disgusted to hear how some members of our "community" react, feel, and respond to transgenders. To me, they're some of the bravest person in the world: they risk absolutely everything to be true to themselves knowing that most people are going to dislike them; they're inspirational and courageous to me. Thank you, again, for posting this.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

i don't understand why we people think this is something new ... there have always been, well, all of us.   we didn't just climb out of some radioactive cesspool all transformed into .. queer mutants  ... oooh watch where you step!!!   crazy.    we are here and it's high time everyone realized it.

Ugh... Everyone acts like it's some kind of trend, especially when it comes to trans dudes. The national centre for transsexualism (they still call it that, ffs) here in Norway is supposed to be the foremost authority on treating gender dysphoria and gender reassignment (we, actually queer people, call it gender confirmation over here now, dunno if there's an equivalent in English), but one of the lead 'experts' from there has gone out in the media and talked about what a tragedy it is that 'the nation's daughters want deeper voices and chest hair', which is just . . . You're supposed to be an expert and you misgender your patients? wtf? And they refuse to work with trans advocacy groups. Only about a third of referred patients actually get help, the rest of them aren't 'trans enough'. I would never qualify for treatment from those people, being non-binary. I'd have to go to a private clinic the way things are right now, which is fine if you just want hormone therapy, even if it is more expensive. Surgery would be harder to get, though.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, Solivagant said:

Thank you kindly for publishing this. I feel and know that as a community, we should be doing more. I feel ashamed and disgusted to hear how some members of our "community" react, feel, and respond to transgenders. To me, they're some of the bravest person in the world: they risk absolutely everything to be true to themselves knowing that most people are going to dislike them; they're inspirational and courageous to me. Thank you, again, for posting this.

It's very disheartening to experience that kind of erasure from what is supposedly your own community. Thankfully, I've found a community of trans and gender nonconforming people to hang out with, and it's been amazing and a big eye opener as far as my own gender identity is concerned. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2