Story Order in a Series

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

I had the same problem last year. Nothing I tried worked, so in the end Myr had to wave his magic wand and sort it out. :lol: 

You might need to give him a list of the order you want the stories.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Members need to remember to give us as much information as possible. If someone hands you something and say "It's not working", how helpful is that to knowing what exactly they did and how to go about fixing it? The more we know, the better/faster we can help you. When I go to my series, A Maze for Three, on Edge with my Surface Pro, the arrows work just fine to move stories up and down. That usually indicates the issues can be group permissions, a bug that might be device/browser dependent, or a glitch on your end. Most of that is back end and Myr does have to look at that. However, the more information you share, the better we are able to pinpoint what it could be. 

@Carlos Hazday

How is it not working? Can you see the arrows, can you click on them? Do the stories just not move? Do they move but not stay moved? Did you get an error message, and if so, what was it? Did you just try one browser or did you try more than one (which I always recommend) as well as one or more devices? Which ones so we have that information? Did you try clearing your cache and restarting your device then moving stories? 

@Cia Look at my message again. I said I tried to rearrange the stories using the arrows and it didn't work. That means the arrows did not do the job of moving an individual story up or down. If there had been an error message, I would have mentioned it.

I directed the message at Myr and since he's already dealt with me on other issues, I assumed he would know I would have tried different platforms.

For your benefit:

Tried it on an HP laptop, most recent Windows version, most recent Firefox version

Tried it on an old iPad, using an older IOS

Tried it on a Samsung Galaxy Note9 with the latest Android OS

In all cases, I was unable to rearrange the stories using the arrows.

Thank you for your help

• Site Administrator
7 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

You might need to give him a list of the order you want the stories.

@Carlos Hazday, Tim would be correct. I'd need the proper order. I tested moving your top story and it worked fine.  I signed in as you, and it worked fine with your permissions. 

Is there a specific story that is not moving?  What is the order supposed to be?

• Like 2

@Myr

The story I posted today, Hail to the Chief, is the last one listed for the series. It's been that way since I loaded it in a while back, but I assumed I couldn't move it because it was unpublished. Tried it this morning after it went live and you know what happened. I also tried to move the two above it downward but no luck. Let me know if you need any links. Hail is currently #13 and should be #11.

:off:

Took a page from your writing and the USS Cruz. I wasn't as subtle, but I did something similar in today's story. It takes place 01/20/41 and Chief Justice Obama administers the oath of office. :o

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

@Carlos Hazday when reporting a bug or site feature that isn't working, it isn't just that we might be able to move or do things correctly for you, you're reporting a problem. If you had provided an order or links, I could have rearranged the stories for you since the system worked for me, even if you addressed this to Myr. And I would have been more than happy to help in that way.

However, for the underlying issue of it not working, that I can't fix. If members remember to provide staff with all of the information in regards to what exactly they did, how they did it, what they did it on, etc...then if the problem is a bug or systems permission issue that just needs to be changed that information can all be passed along to the right admin/the programmer and used to figure out exactly where in the system the problem is. That is why we ask for all of that information, links, etc... in ALL Help forum requests because it eliminates a need to ask for that or retesting the problem on our part for something you, or another member having an issue, might have done already (like trying other browser, because not all our members are techy enough to know to do that). It's a reminder we have to repeat quite often, so I hope you don't feel I was singling you out. That was not my intention, and I do apologize if it came across that way. 

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

@Carlos Hazday Carlos, there is definitely a bug there. I've reported the issue.

Currently, the series numbers are messed up, the last few counting by 2's instead of 1's.  But Hail is in slot 11.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator
10 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

I assume I can add a new book to the series and rearrange the order in the future?

yes

• Like 1