Issue with comment box clearing

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

I'm in the middle of replying to comments on my latest chapter and I'm finding the box isn't clearing every time after a reply has posted. See example ...  Although it says it's saving, the reply has already posted. Laptop using latest Windows and Chrome.  Having returned to the other screen after posting this, the comment box is still stuck as shown here.

Capture.PNG

Edited by northie
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I've been having this same issue.  I have to refresh the page to clear the box, even though the comment has already posted.  I use an HP laptop with Windows 10 and Google Chrome.  

• Like 2

Happens to me too, and I'm also on a laptop with Windows and Chrome. However, for me the issue isn't as much the previous comment hanging in there, as the disappearance of the 'Clear editor' option. I used that button frequently in the past.

Hmm, the clear editor option is still there, but only in certain circumstances. Like when I just tried to write a comment on a Leopard Hunt chapter and it wouldn't post. I then refreshed the page and the comment wasn't there. But when I opened the comment box the old comment popped up, including the option to clear the editor. I posted the comment instead, but it was nice to see this very helpful feature work. I love that we don't lose comments like we used to, so thank you again for that, Myr.

Edited by Timothy M.
add comment about clear editor feature
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I've not seen the issue (yet).  It might be a corruption in cache or a change the browser.  The code hasn't changed on the site for awhile now.

• Like 2

It's been happening to me occasionally for the past few weeks. Not all the time, but probably more often than not.

It's not just with story comments that it's happening, but also for forum comments.

The annoying thing is that if I don't spot it when it happens, and then try to make comments to other posts in the same forum, I find the comment box has my previous comment still in it, and even if I delete it out, I can't post a new comment. The Submit Reply button isn't available, instead the Editor still claims that it is trying to save the comment. The only solution seems to be to refresh my browser, as a few other posters have already said in this thread.

I'm using Google Chrome [Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)] on Windows 8.1 [with all available security updates installed].

Below is a screenshot I took last Sunday showing an example of this problem.

Spoiler

spacer.png

As can be seen, my comment has already been posted, but the comment is still shown as being saved in the Editor box.

Edited by Marty
Correcting another of my inevitable typos.
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

Looks like it's a Chrome / Windows issue. :unsure2: It would be interesting to hear from readers using phones, tablets, or Mac laptops, and anyone using Firefox or other browsers.

Nope, I've had it happen to me recently. Pain in the butt! Had a lot of comments to reply to yesterday and today, I would post my comment and it would remain in the 'working' box. I had to manually delete it or exit the page and return. I can't remember if refreshing the page worked.

I won't provide links or screenshots since I've not saved an example.

HP laptop
Windows 10 incorporating the latest updates
Most recent version of Firefox with automatic updates enabled.

• Sad 1
  • Site Administrator

I have not seen it yet myself (though I use FireFox on the site, mostly).  I have opened a support request with the forum software folks for further guidance on how to get this resolved.

• Like 5
  • Site Administrator
  • Solution

Please clear the cache on your browser and see if it recurs after that.

I have cleared the last 4 weeks from my laptop's cache and so far, so good. Unfortunately, I don't have much to reply to currently, so my testing has been somewhat limited (4 posts).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, northie said:

I have cleared the last 4 weeks from my laptop's cache and so far, so good. Unfortunately, I don't have much to reply to currently, so my testing has been somewhat limited (4 posts).

We'll have to write some comments on your stories for you to reply to. ;) 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2