[Vlista] Unbreakable Faith - Chapter 1

Hi Everyone, I've had the opportunity to read the unedited version of this story, and it is truly one of my favorites, and I sincerely hope that you all take the time to read it.

Also, please read the warnings posted on the table of contents page for the story. They are there for a reason.

Sincerely,

GaryO

:o Damn I truly hate his adopted parents.

So he's going to go to those wacky christian reform schools ? :thumbdown:

Sighs, wonder when he gets out of his abusive parents life.

Like this story Vance got alot of emotions out of me. :worship:

I've been looking forward to this story for a while, and I wasn't disappointed at all.

Once again, Vance highlights a very sensitive yet important topic, one that most people would rather not think about or admit -- child abuse. Unfortunately, it's much more widespread than most people would ever imagine, and just as brutal as Vance depicts it. There are lots of kids out there like Ian (or Shane) who have to suffer silently day in and day out, living in an environment even worse than hell. Is it hard to read about? Yes. Is it something we need to read about and be more aware of? Most definitely.

Anyway, very good job, Vance! :2thumbs: I noticed that there isn't a physical description of Ian so far ... I'm wondering what he looks like ...

*Hugz*

Buddha

I don't usually post comments once a story posts that I've worked on, but in this case I have to make an exception. This is by far one of the most powerfully intense and moving stories I've ever read. Over the past few months I've probably read this chapter a dozen times. I've just read it again and, just like all the other times, I'm sitting here holding a fist full of damp tissues.

Excellent job, babe.

Sharon

...child abuse like that happens every day, wish we could rescue all these abused kids and find them good and loving parents.

Of course the Rev and his lovely wife want to project the image of "loving parents." I can never understand how the whacko far right fundamentalists can preach love and react in hate at people who are different than their prescribed notions of normalness.

I'm really surprised that Ian isn't in a rubber room. Somehow I suspect the other teacher will uncover the abuses. Hallelujah and pass the offering plate.

Good job on the story. Look forward to the resolutions.

Jack B)

I found this really distressing.

Perhaps I've been incredibly lucky in how I was brought up, and that's not to say I haven't been beaten - I have, just never by my father - though he paid for the school where corporal punishment was allowed.

Corporal punishment is now illegal in the UK, to the point where if a mother smacks her child she can be prosecuted for it. In my opinion, and who am I to say as I don’t have any children (duh), that’s the nanny state gone silly. My father never beat me, but a swat on the bottom or a clout round the ear was often required - damn it.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I find it very hard to believe, yet I know it happens - much like people eating veal.

I’m not sure I want to read any more, but I will because even though I'm not sure if redemption is possible, there has to be some very serious payback!

Of course the Rev and his lovely wife want to project the image of "loving parents." I can never understand how the whacko far right fundamentalists can preach love and react in hate at people who are different than their prescribed notions of normalness.

Jack,

I want in no way to condone how people like Ian's parent act (quite the reverse, in fact), but the reason for it is likely to be complicated.

The simplest, and easiest to understand is that the father is on an ego trip - he has a whole crowd of people hanging on his every word and treating him as if he were closer to got than they. And remember, these people are absolutely 100% convinced that there is an eternal authority looking down on their every move. The reverend fellow is, somehow, more in touch with this deity than they are and so they have to treat him with the honour that they do. This has been the same since mankind first thought about coming down from the trees - the religious leader holds card that are for more powerful than any tribal chief.

So, given the way he is treated (and probably the way he feels himself), it is hardly surprising that the minister is unable to see things from the perspective of a normal human being.

The second explanation that I can think of is that the father genuinely believes that what he is doing is for Ian's long term (by which, he is thinking eternal) benefit. If you can somehow swallow the ideas that the preacher has swallowed, then a few hours, or even years of misery are meaningless when set against the potential of eternal damnation or salvation. If raping Ian will save him from the clutches of Satan then it's the lesser of two evils by a long way.

You should never underestimate what people will do in the name of their religion (given what happened 5 years ago in NY, this should be abundantly clear by now - religious fundamentalists are a dangerous bunch regardless of what brand they're peddling).

I need just to underline again that Ian's father's brand of religion is not one I recognise as in any way Christian. That is a religion of love and tolerance, not of hate. But then, Islam is not a religion that teaches hatred either - but corrupt human beings will always be there to pervert whatever truth there might be.

Sorry, lecture over...

LF

I want in no way to condone how people like Ian's parent act (quite the reverse, in fact), but the reason for it is likely to be complicated.

Sorry, lecture over...

Welcome to GA, LowFlyer. So you're under the radar, are you? :P

I essentially agree with what you had to say; but, like Jack, I still don't understand it. What causes people in positions of religious authority to engage their egos to the point where they can justify inflicting human suffering in the name of God? It simply boggles my mind.

Conner :boy:

Welcome to GA, LowFlyer. So you're under the radar, are you? :P

I essentially agree with what you had to say; but, like Jack, I still don't understand it. What causes people in positions of religious authority to engage their egos to the point where they can justify inflicting human suffering in the name of God? It simply boggles my mind.

Conner :boy:

Yes - slipped in when no-one was looking!

Religion is more powerful than pretty much anything else on the planet. After all, I can offer you as much money as you can spend, or threaten you with the worst pain that you can imagine, or even death, but if you firmly believe that there is an afterlife which is ruled over by some authority which/who is totally outwith the human sphere, then anything I can offer or threaten will come second.

What use is money - you can't take it with you. So what if you kill me, I will be raised again for eternity.

Something as powerful as this is too attractive for some brands of ego-maniac, or power-hungry dictator. Very little of it needs to be proved - how much of it can be proved? But if you can get people to swallow it, they'll do anything you say.

Why does anyone want to inflict pain on anyone? But if you do, you couldn't find a more powerful weapon.

Well, that's my take on it, anyway.

LF

I got a few good spankings as a kid, but my preacher father never took it to the extremes that poor Ian is facing. I knew a few other children of preachers who weren't quite as lucky, and of course my sister wasn't as lucky as I was when it came to how our preacher fathers treated us. Don't get the wrong impression, for every bad one, there's at least one good preacher out there who doesn't abuse his family or others.

Religion offers a power rarely achieved through politics or other, more secular, means. Through religion, a leader can raise more power, more influence than through any other means short of something like Adolph Hitler's blend of fascism, nationality, and cultish Nazi Party. Religion offers so many things to so many people, and at its best is an extremely beneficial part of society.

At its worst, religion can destroy the society and culture around it.

There are several factors that make religion such a strong force (positive or negative) in society. First off is the strength of belief. As mentioned before, a believer who truly believes cannot be swayed by money, threats of violence, or death. During the early days of Christianity we have the example of the martyrs, men and women thrown into the coliseum with the lions. They could have fought back, but instead they fell to their knees and prayed (praised God). How can you hope to succeed against such examples of faith? This is the same principle that generates the suicide bombers of Islam...they believe a greater reward awaits them in the afterlife...so life here on earth is less precious. In contrast, most Christian denominations put great importance on the earthly life (as a way of earning a better heavenly afterlife), only many also put less importance on the lives of non-believers.

Another factor in the power of religion is the sense of community that it builds. Religion is much stronger and quicker at building a community than any secular force. Many baptists on my moving to new town will seek out the local baptist church, and within weeks will have a circle of friends and social life similar to what they had in the town they left. The same is true for any other religious sect. Children raised in a religious community know what to expect from their peers and their elders. After all, the purpose of youth groups Sunday School, etc. is to indoctrinate the young in the religion so they continue its practice when they grow into adults.

Most religions also include a sense of purpose, a mission. Whether it is to spread the word amongst unbelievers or to raise their children in the way of God, religion provides a sense of purpose in life, a security that cannot be found elsewhere. You KNOW why you are here, you KNOW how you came to exist, you KNOW what will happen in the end (the book of Revelations tells you how the world will end). Nothing secular comes close to the crystal clarity of these things.

Religion helps make the world black and white instead of full of gray, or color for that matter. You have good versus evil, and each are clearly defined. Have you ever felt like you were lost in a sea clutter? Unable to find your way in life, not sure what you were to do? Have you ever found yourself wondering what was right or wrong? Your local church can give you all the answers you ever needed. There's no need for long periods of introspection, the bible spells it out plain as day. This is right, that is wrong. Do this and you will be saved, do that and you will burn in hell. What's your purpose in life? We have a clear answer to that, my son. Sit right back and listen...

In all this, the preacher (or priest/rabi/iman) plays a central, important role. The preacher is the shepherd, who guides the flock of believers through life. Sometimes he uses his shepherd's staff to pull a wayward sheep back in line, or to fend off the wolves, but it is his tool to use as he sees fit. If you believe in God, then it is natural to believe that God has callen preachers to his service. They are the annoited of God, chosen by him to be God's voice on this planet.

Imagine that for a moment, that you are believer who has heard the calling of God in your heart, and you are now annoited to lead his people...That is far more than being elected to office, even as President. A preacher or prest is amongst those rarest of individuals, those called by God directly to his service. They hold a position of trust, and power, rarely equaled by anything in the secular world.

Power corrupts, and preachers hold more power than most people...is it any wonder they can be corrupted/blinded by their own power?

Dan,

I would heartily endorse everything you say, and just want to add another thought or two.

I am sometimes a little jealous of those who can see the world in the black and white terms you describe. I think how nice it must be to have your feet on such a solid rock when it comes to withstanding the storms that life can throw at you.

But, that is simply not how I, personally, see the purpose of life. I call myself a Christian, but I don't think God expects us to act like sheep. I don't think that turning up at the pearly gates and telling St Peter that you were just doing what the minister told you to do will wash.

We were given minds and free wills for a reason. We will be personally responsible for our actions, or inactions.

The world is simply not in black and white, no matter how attractive an idea that may be. There are shades of grey in everything, and probably all manner of other colours as well. The fundamental truths of the faith (basically, love one another as God loves us) are laid down, but the rest is up to us.

<disclaimer>Obviously, none of the foregoing applies if you don't subscribe to religion!</disclaimer>

LF

Wow, I read the first chapter :( . As others have said, very moving and disturbing.

This is one story I wouldn't want to read in one sitting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to reading more, I just don't think I could handle more than one chapter at a time.

When you read something like this, you start to realize how good you really have things in your own life and that the 'problems' that you do have are tiny compared to what Ian is going through.

Well done Vance!

Vic

Edited by naper_vic
Wow, I read the first chapter :( . As others have said, very moving and disturbing.

This is one story I wouldn't want to read in one sitting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to reading more, I just don't think I could handle more than one chapter at a time.

When you read something like this, you start to realize how good you really have things in your own life and that the 'problems' that you do have are tiny compared to what Ian is going through.

Well done Vance!

Vic

I completely understand what you mean. Especially because I read Shane in one sitting. I think it was the first time I read a story that kept me on the brink of sobbing for more then 5 minutes. For the first half of that story (which took me about a day or two to read, with school in between two particularly sad parts), my eyes were red, and I couldn't take my mind off of it. My parents thought something happened at school, and my friends/teachers thought something happened at home. It was a bit awkward.

Thankfully, I will not read this one in one sitting, so chances are I won't get tearful...much. But seriously, I think that after reading Shane, I could handle whatever horrible sadness that Vance throws at me.

This story is starting out tragic. I can't believe no one did anything about Ian yet..though I'm sure it's about to change (in 5 chapters or so, according to Gary-O). This seems promising..especially considering I'm taking Intro to Anthropology, Sociology, and Psychology, and I feel like this story will fit all three of those categories (espcially with the religious discussions we're having here).

Edited by MayaMys
Some people choose to ignore child abuse, it's against rules for teachers to do that.

Firstly this seems like another amster peice so far. That is true teachers are bound by law to report things like that. In my city, small suburban town in Ca where the cops have nothin to do, my dad tried to smuther me to death when i was like 11 or 12. my mom and me report it to the police my dad calls it self defense the police believes him.

when the kids do have the bravery to tell someone sadly society sometimes turns the other cheek b/c children are young or the abuse isnt markable.

Firstly this seems like another amster peice so far. That is true teachers are bound by law to report things like that. In my city, small suburban town in Ca where the cops have nothin to do, my dad tried to smuther me to death when i was like 11 or 12. my mom and me report it to the police my dad calls it self defense the police believes him.

when the kids do have the bravery to tell someone sadly society sometimes turns the other cheek b/c children are young or the abuse isnt markable.

:hug: I'm really sorry you went through that, Jimmy :( . I hope things are better for you now.

You're right far too often the authorities ignore things like this because they take the "adult's" word over the kid's. I'm not saying they should lock people up everytime an angry, spoiled brat decides to impetuously turn on his/her parents, but they definitely need to investigate it more to prevent people from slipping through the cracks!

Take care and have a fantastic day!

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I just read the first chapter of this story... There really isn't much for me to say, only... there are few things that would provoke me to attempt to murder another human being. This story highlights one of them.