[Razor] Rave Boy

A not-so-great notification:

My story, rave boy, is on pause. This is for several reasons, but mainly because I'm having serious issues writing the next chapter, and I'm second guessing my ending. I'm going to consult my editor (it's so weird having one!) and some others, and decide on my course of action regarding the storyline. Please be prepared for past chapters to possibly be rescinded, the story to change drastically, or any other insane thing to take place. I apologize for this, but the story was a work in progress all along and should be treated as such, not as a serial novel. In the future, I may consider finishing a work before posting it to save everyone any annoyance like this.

Sorry times a thousand, guys, I know it was a bitch of a cliffy, and this just plain sucks. Before too long, I should have this worked out. Just wanted to let my few fans in on what was happening. :)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Dilacious Killer

AH!!! This cliffy still hasn't escaped my mind! I need resolution!!! Fantastic story so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally love this story. Mary Lou's the coolest redneck psychic I've ever seen. I've never met a redneck psychic, but that's beside the point. I used to do that job at a metaphysics shop and I actually got people like Joey all the time looking for love help. I've never phoned up their principal to help them out though, so maybe I'm not as good at it as Mary Lou. She makes me laugh every time though.

• 1 month later...

:D I know you all hate me because you haven't seen anything from Joey and Jonathan in AGES now, but guess what! My anthology entry is set in Joey's universe! Indeed! But, sadly, all you Jonathan/Mary Lou fans aren't gonna like it all that much since it's only got Joey through most of it, and a teensy bit of Jonathan. And, sadly, you'll have to wait until the Anthology actually comes out... which will be mid-Julyish. On the up side, it's a lil over half done right now at just over 5k words, which means it's currently more than double the size of my usual chapters!!!! Okay, yeah, I'm milking the possible hype for all its worth, but gimme a break, will ya?

More good news... I've been thinking about this story a lot more lately. Which means I'm much more likely to pick it up again... which actually means it's very likely to be butchered into a rewrite so that it becomes something which, at least in my mind, is a little bit better than the original.

More good news... I've been thinking about this story a lot more lately. Which means I'm much more likely to pick it up again... which actually means it's very likely to be butchered into a rewrite so that it becomes something which, at least in my mind, is a little bit better than the original.

Ahhhh, your muse is nibbling at your.......earlobe! :great:

Excellent!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sound the fanfare. The rewrite has begun, and the first chapter will be up soon (as in it's already written, edited, and sent in). I'll link it when it's up to let you all know it's there. In the meantime, I'm going to be working on getting the second chapter finished. I trust you will all agree that the rewrite is a bit more sophisticated, a little easier to read, just generally a notch better than the original. ;)

Be sure to let me know what you think, though, as always, or I'll cry. Yeah, that's it... feel guilty. :P

Hi Jamie,

I have started Rave Boy and it's really great! What I really appreciated is the uniqueness- the direct talk with the readers (and addressing them as 'horndogs' :D ) That was definitely something sweet mixed with something different. A great writing style.

Going to read more right now. :)

See you later,

Ieshwar

P.S Noticed that you've decided to re-start the story. I had read it a few weeks ago, before my exams but forgot to review. Sorry!

Mmm, interesting story. I found constantly being addressed by Joey was a bit disconcerting. It took away from the overall immersion in the story, because I was continually reminded that I was a reader, and he was a character.

Aside from that (and the fact that I can't empathize at all with Joey) it was a very intriguing story with lots of potential. I never read the original version, so I look forward to future chapters.

Menzo

That's actually very interesting. Most people have said that being addressed by Joey makes them feel like they're talking to someone face to face, having them tell them a story directly. That's the style I was going for, someone said that I should try it and it was accepted fairly well with the original version.

Why does it take away from your immersion in the story? Is it that you're looking to be able to see from the eyes of the character directly, or just that you don't like the manner in which Joey addresses you, or something else? I'd really like to know some more about your opinion on that. :)

It does give a bit of the impression that I'm talking face-to-face with someone, but that sensation is very different than the one I get from reading a story. I am more able to get involved with a story if I can forget that I'm reading a story, and really start to get a feel for the characters. My personal preference would be for Joey to just tell his story, without the offensive remarks directed toward the reader.

Menzo

Hi Jamie,

I just read the first re-written chapter of Rave Boy. I have read the other one a few weeks ago. And I don't see any difference. It's as interesting as the other.

I find the direct conversation really amusing. It's funny. I would like to know how did you get this idea? Any secret? It is rare to find this type of writing. So?

Take care,

Ieshwar

Hi Jamie,

I just read the first re-written chapter of Rave Boy. I have read the other one a few weeks ago. And I don't see any difference. It's as interesting as the other.

I find the direct conversation really amusing. It's funny. I would like to know how did you get this idea? Any secret? It is rare to find this type of writing. So?

Take care,

Ieshwar

Only a talented and gifted author could do a re-write and have you think nothing changed. :P

*ducks as Jamie, said gifted author, hurls a billiard ball in my direction*

I totally adore Joey's sarcasm and irreverence. :2thumbs: I find it very funny. It also gives the reader an opportunity to interact with the main character. For example, if Joey says f-u, I say "Bite me, Joey!"

I think he stole the style from Jimminy Cricket in the WD production of Pinocchio. :devil:

Conner

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coming soon. Just... probably not before thanksgiving or christmas break because I have four papers and two major projects to get done within the next two weeks, as well as some seriously important exams.

Yeah, sorry, I know I'm annoying, but I'll be back soon. :)