[dkstories] Possible delay (yet again)

As many of you know, when I first met Dan, he was taking care of his grandmother and his aunt Carol, who live near Modesto. He moved to Sacramento, and his cousin Michelle (Carol's daughter), continued to take care of Grandma and Aunt Carol - while we visited frequently and helped out however we could (taking Michelle out to give her a break, getting groceries for the house, etc).

Dan's grandmother - heh - well, she's quite a character and Dan's written about her a lot. But Aunt Carol was very special in her own right. She had been hit by a stroke in late 2005, and when I met her, she was confined to a wheelchair (physically). But mentally and orneryness-wise - she was unbounded. I loved meeting her - getting to know her, chatting with her, whispering gossip about Dan's grandma (her mom)... and getting her chocolates (she was a total chocolaholic). She loved White Diamonds perfume, the Left Behind series of movies, and laughing.

A couple of days ago, Michelle called us to let us know that her mom was in bad shape and might not have long. She wasn't eating, and she had always had a DNR... We said we would come visit this weekend. Then early this morning, Michelle said it might be anytime so we moved up plans and said we could come tonight (though Dan has a lot of work to catch up on as you can imagine).

Around noon - Michelle called to say that Aunt Carol had passed. We both agreed that she was in a better place - and I know that as soon as she passed, she rushed up there and took up a watch around Michelle and the rest of the family - Carol is not one to cross :-)

As with anything of this nature - there are going to be a lot of details to have to deal with. Dan and I are leaving soon to head down to the Modesto area - not sure if we come back tonight, stay down for a few days, etc... So with the uncertainness about where/when we'll be where, there is also understandably no way of knowing when Dan will have a chance to put up the next chapters of his various stories. I know everyone will understand - but did want to give you all a heads-up.

I am so glad that I got to know Carol - she was quite a special person... I will truly miss her.

:hug: To you both.

Aunt Carrol sounds like a very special person, and I am sorry to hear of your loss. This must be especially traumatic, coming as it does during Dan's recovery. :hug:

Best wishes and condolences to all, and please, don't worry about stories, worry about yourselves and your family.

CJ :,(

Sorry to hear of Aunt Carol's passing. Condolences to the entire (extended) family.

Back when Dan was living in Modesto taking care of his Aunt Carol and his grandmother, his adventures and misadventures with them often formed entries in an earlier version of his blog, no longer available on-line. As one of its readers, I sort of felt I got to know them. Not as intimately or in real life, as Trebs has, of course, but as Dan kvetched frequently about them, they became characters in the ongoing blogged story of his real life, as well as indirectly playing roles in Do Over. Dan borrowed from his real-life family situations and used his blog to expound about the correspondences between his fiction and his reality.

Carol's passing is much more saddening than the death of a merely fictional creation. May you be comforted, Dan; may her memory be a blessing; and may her actual character inspire written tales of her that she may live on in story for all of us.

--Rigel

Sorry to hear of Aunt Carol's passing. Condolences to the entire (extended) family.

Back when Dan was living in Modesto taking care of his Aunt Carol and his grandmother, his adventures and misadventures with them often formed entries in an earlier version of his blog, no longer available on-line. As one of its readers, I sort of felt I got to know them. Not as intimately or in real life, as Trebs has, of course, but as Dan kvetched frequently about them, they became characters in the ongoing blogged story of his real life, as well as indirectly playing roles in Do Over. Dan borrowed from his real-life family situations and used his blog to expound about the correspondences between his fiction and his reality.

Carol's passing is much more saddening than the death of a merely fictional creation. May you be comforted, Dan; may her memory be a blessing; and may her actual character inspire written tales of her that she may live on in story for all of us.

--Rigel

Hi Rigel,

I join my condolences to yours. Your words about what Dan has written in his blogs and his stories are also mine. My english knowledge is poor and its fine to have somebody who can express my feelings with some fine words.

Hi Dan,

I'm with you. I know how hard it is to lose a loved person.

Take care

old bob