[Shadowgod] Is Shadowgod the King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers?

Cliffhangers  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Is Shadowgod the King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Does Shadowgod use an excessive number of cliffhangers in his stories?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Was the ending of chapter 26 of Living in Surreality the nastiest cliffhanger you have ever seen?

• Yes
    • No -- I've seen worse
    • No -- I didn't think it was a cliffhanger
    • Undecided

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B) ..........well this is on a roll! porcupine and goat have voted leaving a tie, which I will break :devil:

Thank you!!! But, ummm, "No, I've seen worse"? How could anything be more of a cliffie than LiS 26?!?!!? :read:

Certainly, nothing I've ever encountered as a reader even come close!

BTW, Graeme, speaking of bias, your question about excessive cliffies is biased; it implies that they are bad. :P

• Site Administrator
Thank you!!! But, ummm, "No, I've seen worse"? How could anything be more of a cliffie than LiS 26?!?!!? :read:

Certainly, nothing I've ever encountered as a reader even come close!

Have you ever read the story, "For The Love" by C James? You may not have, so you probably aren't aware of not one, but two chapters where major characters were left dying or apparently dead at the end of chapters :P

BTW, Graeme, speaking of bias, your question about excessive cliffies is biased; it implies that they are bad. :P

My view is that too much of anything is bad for you. Too much water, for example, can kill you -- it's called drowning. :P Moderation is the key.

Have you ever read the story, "For The Love" by C James? You may not have, so you probably aren't aware of not one, but two chapters where major characters were left dying or apparently dead at the end of chapters :P

My view is that too much of anything is bad for you. Too much water, for example, can kill you -- it's called drowning. :P Moderation is the key.

Now, now, Echidna, it would be inappropriate for me to discuss FTL in Shadowgod's forum (he might take offense, after all), so I simply have no choice but to leave that one with a "no comment". :P

Of course, I might also mention a certain story (HoTT) where the title character is about to be hacked to pieces with woodworking tools. :P

And yes, moderations is the key... So perhaps it is fair to wonder if Shadowgod uses too many cliffhangers? I mean, he left us hanging for several chapters over the Lemonade cliffie, and then there was the infamous "what toppings on the Pizza" cliffhanger...

• Site Administrator
Now, now, Echidna, it would be inappropriate for me to discuss FTL in Shadowgod's forum (he might take offense, after all), so I simply have no choice but to leave that one with a "no comment". :P
no no by all means please feel free to discuss FTL right here, right now. Mi casa es su casa :P

Okay, now that that's settled, shall we get back to the issue of leaving leading characters to die, or appearing to kill them off, during the course of For The Love? :P I'm sure many readers will agree that those two chapters were a lot worse than anything Shadowgod did....

no no by all means please feel free to discuss FTL right here, right now. Mi casa es su casa :P
Okay, now that that's settled, shall we get back to the issue of leaving leading characters to die, or appearing to kill them off, during the course of For The Love? :P I'm sure many readers will agree that those two chapters were a lot worse than anything Shadowgod did....

Ack!

Ummm, oh, er, well, ok,,,, those weren't really cliffhangers as i wrote them. Ya see, Shadowgod, in his role of :king: King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers :king: made some changes during the beta. After all, everyone knows that I never use cliffhangers!

And, ummm, I don't think things were quite as dire as you indicate. In the first one, we just had two guys, soaking up some rays and working on their tans. In the second one, the sheriff was just intending to install some, um, additional ventilation.

However, if you do feel that those were cliffies, then of course, vote yes on the poll.

:P

• Site Administrator
However, if you do feel that those were cliffies, then of course, vote yes on the poll.

Correction -- answer "No -- I've seen worse" to the question about chapter 26 of LiS.

Use your own judgement on the rest -- don't let others try to influence you on how to vote. Voting is an important civil activity and you should use all due diligence before voting. I'd even go as far as to suggest it might be worthwhile re-reading Living in Surreality from start to finish to allow you to refresh your minds on the issues at stake, and then vote :D0:)

Correction -- answer "No -- I've seen worse" to the question about chapter 26 of LiS.

Use your own judgement on the rest -- don't let others try to influence you on how to vote. Voting is an important civil activity and you should use all due diligence before voting. I'd even go as far as to suggest it might be worthwhile re-reading Living in Surreality from start to finish to allow you to refresh your minds on the issues at stake, and then vote :D0:)

Au Contraire, of spiney one: If you feel those two are cliffies, then my all means, vote "Yes" on question #1, as it's shadowgod's fualt that they resemble cliffhangers. After all, everyone knows that I never use cliffies. :P

• Site Administrator
Au Contraire, of spiney one: If you feel those two are cliffies, then my all means, vote "Yes" on question #1, as it's shadowgod's fualt that they resemble cliffhangers. After all, everyone knows that I never use cliffies. :P

Correction -- you don't believe you use cliffies. However, your readers have definitely known you to use cliffhangers, even if you won't admit it. Trying to blame poor Shadowgod for that behaviour is childish and unseemly. :P

Correction -- you don't believe you use cliffies. However, your readers have definitely known you to use cliffhangers, even if you won't admit it. Trying to blame poor Shadowgod for that behaviour is childish and unseemly. :P

But, but, but, just go re-read LiS, everyone... especially LiS 26... That's the mother of all cliffhangers! It's a doozie! Surely that qualifies Shadowgod for his title? Surely no one could deserve it more? LiS 26 was unsurpassed!

That's the mother of all cliffhangers! It's a doozie! Surely that qualifies Shadowgod for his title? Surely no one could deserve it more? LiS 26 was unsurpassed!

It is a very nasty ending to a chapter; but I know of other authors who let the readers think the story has come to a happy ending and then blast them with bad news afterwards. Not to mention leaving a character in a peril that should ensure death to anyone normally built, only to save them in 5 lines at the beginning of the following chapter. Which is the mother of cliff-hangers. See Perils of Pauline, a 1910s serial, famous for its cliff-hangers.

And cliff-hangers are just a nice feature of popular fiction.

• Site Administrator

Um, I don't know if this is a private forum between CJ and Graeme, but it did let me vote, so we'll see if I can post as well B) .

I voted for Shadowgod for being "King of Cliffhangers" cause really, who wouldn't want to be a king of something. After all there is the King of Monaco, The King and I, The King of The Hill, The King of Kensington (for those old enough that lived in Canada in the early seventies), and Burger King. So why can't Shadowgod be proud to announce to the world that he is the "King of Cliffhangers". It actually might increase readership and interest in his most excellent writing :worship: .

Second, I went with a big fat NO on the excessive cliffies. Compared to another hosted author, who shall remained unnamed,

CJames

, I could hardly consider that excessive. It is kinda like telling someone in Bangladesh that they suffer from excessive rain in Arizona when it rains there for a couple of weeks a year :lol: .

Third, and last, I whole heartedly agree that LiS 26 was the evilest of cliffhangers. That chapter had me seething with anger against Shadowgod, but to his defence, he did generate a huge response in his forum, and redeemed himself in the next chapter.

Steve, I say accept the coronation and wear your crown with pride. It would be interesting to see who exactly would be jealous of the new title and figure that they deserve it more :P ,

Steve

Edited by wildone

I dont need to be a king though... I have other "titles" speaking of which the goat should be careful I may ask for a burnt offering if anyone ever wants to see Bourbon part 5

It is curious how the title is 50/50 but more people say I dont use cliffhangers... sounds like enron addition to me

• Site Administrator
I dont need to be a king though... I have other "titles" speaking of which the goat should be careful I may ask for a burnt offering if anyone ever wants to see Bourbon part 5

It is curious how the title is 50/50 but more people say I dont use cliffhangers... sounds like enron addition to me

But I gave you the title to give you something to put instead of Fossil? It was a complement :D . Also I took exception to the word "excessive".

And cliff-hangers are just a nice feature of popular fiction.

Yes indeed; I'm not trying to malign Shadowgod here, just trying to (literally) give the Devil his due. 0:)

Um, I don't know if this is a private forum between CJ and Graeme, but it did let me vote, so we'll see if I can post as well B) .

I voted for Shadowgod for being "King of Cliffhangers" cause really, who wouldn't want to be a king of something. After all there is the King of Monaco, The King and I, The King of The Hill, The King of Kensington (for those old enough that lived in Canada in the early seventies), and Burger King. So why can't Shadowgod be proud to announce to the world that he is the "King of Cliffhangers". It actually might increase readership and interest in his most excellent writing :worship: .

Second, I went with a big fat NO on the excessive cliffies. Compared to another hosted author, who shall remained unnamed, CJames, I could hardly consider that excessive. It is kinda like telling someone in Bangladesh that they suffer from excessive rain in Arizona when it rains there for a couple of weeks a year :lol: .

Third, and last, I whole heartedly agree that LiS 26 was the evilest of cliffhangers. That chapter had me seething with anger against Shadowgod, but to his defence, he did generate a huge response in his forum, and redeemed himself in the next chapter.

Steve, I say accept the coronation and wear your crown with pride. It would be interesting to see who exactly would be jealous of the new title and figure that they deserve it more :P ,

Steve

Totally agreed! I don't think Shadowgod uses excessive cliffhangers, I've never said that. It's just when he does use 'em, they are doozies.

Nope: They don't think you use excessive cliffhangers. Big difference.

And, ummm, burnt offering? Burnt offerings of what, exactly? :unsure:

Edit to add: Wiledone, you have a point: WHO whould be jealous enough of Shadowgod's title to attempt to de-throne him? Hrrrrm, well, we all know that it was the Echidna who launched this nefarious attempt... And the Echidna has his central character of his current serial about to be literally chopped up, I'd say you have a point... For shame, Graeme, trying to steal Shadowgod's title!

• Site Administrator
Edit to add: Wiledone, you have a point: WHO whould be jealous enough of Shadowgod's title to attempt to de-throne him? Hrrrrm, well, we all know that it was the Echidna who launched this nefarious attempt... And the Echidna has his central character of his current serial about to be literally chopped up, I'd say you have a point... For shame, Graeme, trying to steal Shadowgod's title!

Me? The King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers? :lol: You have to be joking! I often go out of my way to avoid cliffhangers. If you don't believe me, wait until chapter 29 of Heart of The Tree comes out (in two and a half weeks) and then consider what I could've done if I wanted a cliffhanger. :P

Me? The King of Eeeevil Cliffhangers? :lol: You have to be joking! I often go out of my way to avoid cliffhangers. If you don't believe me, wait until chapter 29 of Heart of The Tree comes out (in two and a half weeks) and then consider what I could've done if I wanted a cliffhanger. :P

B) ........Well, well .I see CJ is winning as the King of all cliffhangers by default, very clever Graeme, putting in the category "No.........I seen worse", by highlighting that question and transmitting you will see the goats image come up, very clever Graeme!!

Hrrrrmmm, I still say that's a cliffhanger! And I can really see no other motive for you to try and deprive Shadowgod of his precious title than to take it for yourself. Shame, SHAME! :P

B) ........Well, well .I see CJ is winning as the King of all cliffhangers by default, very clever Graeme, putting in the category "No.........I seen worse", by highlighting that question and transmitting you will see the goats image come up, very clever Graeme!!

ACK!!! Me?!?!?! I have nothing to do with this! I can't even be nominated: I never use cliffhangers!!!

And besides, the title is :king: King of Eeeeevil Cliffhangers :king:

I'm certainly not evil, AND I don;t use cliffhangers, so I'm excluded on two grounds.

Besides, I see the 'yes" vote is pulling ahead, so it appears that shadowgod's title may be safe! Yay shadowgod! :)

Hrrrrmmm, I still say that's a cliffhanger! And I can really see no other motive for you to try and deprive Shadowgod of his precious title than to take it for yourself. Shame, SHAME! :P

ACK!!! Me?!?!?! I have nothing to do with this! I can't even be nominated: I never use cliffhangers!!!

And besides, the title is :king: King of Eeeeevil Cliffhangers :king:

I'm certainly not evil, AND I don;t use cliffhangers, so I'm excluded on two grounds.

Besides, I see the 'yes" vote is pulling ahead, so it appears that shadowgod's title may be safe! Yay shadowgod! :)

I voted yes, but you will never know who i voted for, muwahahaha i plan to stay out of this one ^^

I voted yes, but you will never know who i voted for, muwahahaha i plan to stay out of this one ^^

B) ...... It looks like ShadowG_d is the winner, prepare him a feast, bring in the goat and start the bar-b-que!

Thanks for voting, LC! :)

B) ...... It looks like ShadowG_d is the winner, prepare him a feast, bring in the goat and start the bar-b-que!

Yes indeed, it looks like the prickly forces of title-robbing have been defeated! :2thumbs:

Congratulations Shadowgod, whos is not confirmed, hereto and forever more, as the

:king: King of Eeeeevil Cliffhangers :king:

• Site Administrator
Congratulations Shadowgod, whos is not confirmed, hereto and forever more, as the

:king: King of Eeeeevil Cliffhangers :king:

"not confirmed"?

So, you're conceding?

I'm not happy if you are -- I think this poll should be up for a big longer before you concede. :P